Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

Never use PayPal

Long story short...someone paid me for something through PayPal, and then made a false claim of having not received the item.

PayPal then made my account negative for that amount, made me explain my side...then took a month to ask me for evidence. I provided it right away, and then they took a couple of weeks to make a decision...in favor of the scam artist, despite the evidence! Now they ask that I add money to my account so make the balance 0...essentially stealing money from an honest customer.

Take it from me: don't use PayPal if you're selling or accepting money, because there's the chance the buyer will use this scam and due to PayPal's policies, you'll lose.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Okay, thanks . I was wondering about this . Also I kept getting emails from 'them' claiming someone was using my account, but no money ever went into it after a while so none was missing, it happened three times after I stopped using it .  Then they ignored me .

What will you switch to ?

• Thanks 1

I contacted the Better Business Bureau right away after this happened, and opened up a case on Paypal, giving all evidence to them.

BBB emailed me a couple of days ago saying they never received a response from Paypal to their enquiry, and to send them any communications Paypal made with me. I was busy and didn't send anything else.

Just today (as a result of the BBB), Paypal suddenly refunded the full amount.

So...if you do use Paypal and get screwed, contact the BBB.

I've used Paypal for more than 15 years and never had a problem with them... but of course buyers and sellers encounter issues and the go-betweens like ebay, amazon and paypal will handle it either quickly or  like a slow boat... and why signature delivery is worth the few dollars. 

• Like 2

I thought they were great for years...up until this happened.

Apparently even if your buyer receives your product, and you have proof it was delivered to them, they can still file a false claim and Paypal will side with the buyer automatically. I was reading lots of stories of sellers getting burned this way.

Luckily, most people aren't out there trying to scam people.

• Like 1

I suggest an experiment -  each of you send large amounts of money to my paypal a/c and then complain when I don't return it - and we'll see what happens.

• Like 4

I have never been a seller so I know nothing about that.  I have been a buyer many times and had no negative experiences.

Haven't used them for maybe three years now so I have no idea how the company is evolving.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I have never been a seller so I know nothing about that.  I have been a buyer many times and had no negative experiences.

Haven't used them for maybe three years now so I have no idea how the company is evolving.

That's a good point... being a buyer vs seller has it's selling points ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this