Sign in to follow this  
JsBach

Taoist Temples?

Hi

Is there such thing as a Taoist temple? if so, how and where can I find it? (I live in New Zealand)

Thank you

While the Tao contains all

Google knows all most all.

and is more easily searchable.  good luck.

and here's an old link a member made of Taoist temples

55 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Kuan Tai Temple, Mendecino, CA

Thien Hau, just off of Hill street a few blocks north of Downtown Los Angeles.

I visit regularly. 

Looks beautiful.  Q.  What do they do there?

What kind of programs.. worship??

The site link doesn't mention much beyond history.

Edited by thelerner

7 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I visit regularly.  

First, I am in debt and tremendous gratitude for the expressions of wisdom you've kindly freely shared with TBB, which combined with many hundreds more folks wisdom and insight have each contributed towards the gift of starting fresh with each breath in the infathomable adventure of self-discovery. 

It would be an honor to join a visit with you, as I've heavily been working for clients in the LA area.  I savor the wisdom the universe offers in every new experience.  

In returning the favor of showing me this temple, it would be an honor and pleasure to take you on a few hour riding adventure (I will happily provide an amazing silent electric dirtbike for you if you don't have one) along the local mountain ridges and optionally pet the local snakes and photograph the birds we discover along the way.  If you don't feel comfortable riding, I would happily take you as my passenger (35years+ riding with passengers and no wrecks or injuries with a passenger onboard) and ride at whatever comfort level agrees with your being.  I've also got more silent dirtbikes at my use if you happen to be a riding enthusiast and want to bring friends to also ride.  

it would be deeply valuable for your insights in what differences you meditating in a human made temple vs the remote ridge-line mountain peaks and deep forest.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Edited by Bud Jetsun

8 hours ago, thelerner said:

I have yet to go when there are formal rituals being offered, so I haven't witnessed any, though I've read about them in the events listing. 

Normally I attend on weekday afternoons when I'm in between shows and it is quiet.

It's a small temple, but exquisite to me, usually when I go, there's just a few people, perhaps a couple tourists and a few locals who are usually about daily.

We intended to go for the recent New Year's Festival, but a health snag left me not feeling up to it then... perhaps next year.  The local community and martial schools put on a grand Lion Dance parade each year... we brought my son several years back.  It was great fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bud Jetsun said:

First, I am in debt and tremendous gratitude for the expressions of wisdom you've kindly freely shared with TBB, which combined with many hundreds more folks wisdom and insight have each contributed towards the gift of starting fresh with each breath in the infathomable adventure of self-discovery. 

It would be an honor to join a visit with you, as I've heavily been working for clients in the LA area.  I savor the wisdom the universe offers in every new experience.  

In returning the favor of showing me this temple, it would be an honor and pleasure to take you on a few hour riding adventure (I will happily provide an amazing silent electric dirtbike for you if you don't have one) along the local mountain ridges and optionally pet the local snakes and photograph the birds we discover along the way.  If you don't feel comfortable riding, I would happily take you as my passenger (35years+ riding with passengers and no wrecks or injuries with a passenger onboard) and ride at whatever comfort level agrees with your being.  I've also got more silent dirtbikes at my use if you happen to be a riding enthusiast and want to bring friends to also ride.  

it would be deeply valuable for your insights in what differences you meditating in a human made temple vs the remote ridge-line mountain peaks and deep forest.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Isn't this place amazing!? 

The gift of the Bums is reciprocal and cyclical and seems to create a self sustaining loop and it also seems I receive far more than I offer here... like your words... they often ring like a bell for me Bud and bring a vast smile to my aging Viking face!  *deep bow* 

Thank you for being you and being here as well and sharing of yourself.  It's remarkable this place... truly.

The friendships I've formed here at the Bums and the sharing of experiences is beyond anything I expected to find on the internet.  So many gems that have nudged my insights and coaxed my unfolding into simple being. 

I'd love to meet up and visit the Temple some afternoon!  It's smack in the heart of China Town so it's bustling with stalls and stores, restaurants and lovely smells and the market feel that I find so energizing in cities.  I'll have some time free soon... are you local?  or do you come to town routinely?  Let me know and we'll work out a time to get together.

As for riding, that may have to wait a bit, but sounds amazing!  I rode street bikes for decades and love to ride.  When I moved here my Suzuki Intruder (1400 woof!)... man could that thing haul and was my only transportation out here in the sunny lands for many years... and I loved it dearly.  I've never been on an electric.  I sold mine when my son was born 12 years ago and look at them longingly some days as I sit in traffic while they zip past. 

But unfortunately it will be a bit before I'm feeling comfortable to ride anything.  No riding or even strenuous hiking recently as I'm scheduled for surgery in two weeks to address a recent rupture in my sigmoid colon that left me hospitalized back in January... and to remove the injured (diverticulitis) section.  Recovery will probably be in the ten week range, though I'll be up to a walking tour once the initial healing and pain settles a couple weeks after the procedure.

I would consider it a gift to spend an afternoon sharing energy, the sights and some tea perhaps. 

Much Love!

Creighton

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2018 at 2:02 AM, Bud Jetsun said:

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Hey Bud! 

I have the next few weeks completely open of all engagements aside from being and presence and an as yet unplanned solo camping trip.

Are you in town any time soon? 

• Like 1

Just boarding plane for Warsaw Poland, then Brussels Belgium, then Amsterdam, Ireland, and back to LA June 5th.

It will be a pleasure to see you friend. 

Unlimited Love, 

-Bud

• Like 2

On 3.4.2018 at 3:34 AM, silent thunder said:

I visit regularly.  IMG_7154.thumb.JPG.1463c0a60d49b1c57ada1648c02bb95f.JPGIMG_7179.thumb.JPG.a22b556b76150c56b4ee180fe3ddb3b2.JPGIMG_7181.thumb.JPG.025ccf68bd94490c4775fe90b0a6e654.JPGIMG_7203.thumb.JPG.74faed6d8eeaf56bd54c02e58f24e22e.JPGIMG_7215.thumb.JPG.51ab24c925cc752e69c2e3442e745e79.JPG

IMG_7162.JPG

IMG_7201.JPG

IMG_7210.JPG

IMG_7213.JPG

Nice! Just wish I had known about this when I was in LA Chinatown last year. I have never been in a Daoist temple before...

Anyway, now it's definitely on the places-to-visit list for my next trip to the area! Hopefully still this year, or next year at the latest.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 7:29 PM, thelerner said:
On 4/2/2018 at 6:34 PM, silent thunder said:

I visit regularly. 

Technically these are Temples of the Chinese popular religion, not strictly Daoist temples.  Kuan Tai is a Temple of Guan Di (I prefer using his "emperor" title rather than one of the lesser honorifics.).  This picture from its linked website:

ktopen_03.jpg

Has Guan Di, seated in center, his son is on his left, and his trusted Lieutenant stands holding a halberd on his right.  It is a traditional depiction and I have the same scene painted on glass.

According to Wikipedia the Thien Hau Temple, Los Angeles is:

The Thien Hau Temple[1] is a temple dedicated to the Chinese sea goddess Mazu, the deified form of the medieval Hokkien girl Lin Moniang, located in Los Angeles's Chinatown in California, United States. It is one of the more popular areas for worship and tourism among Asian residents in the Los Angeles area. In addition to Mazu, the temple venerates the war god Guan Yu and the earth god Fu De.

As you can see this Temple also venerates Guan Di, who is not a "god of war", but a god of righteous and just war, but also literature, culture and wealth.  He is also a very popular character in Chinese Opera, and one of the most popular gods in the Chinese gods in the Pantheon of Chinese popular religion.

It is easy to imagine a temple to Mazu, who would protect fisherman, but also trade by Sea and Guan Di, a protector of merchants as part of being a god of wealth, in a Chinese community in Los Angeles, since they would be connected to, and separated from homeland and loved ones by the Sea, and they would want to maintain a healthy trade with the homeland to keep their culture and traditions alive.

I hope this is helpful.

ZYD

Edit:  Changed line spacing.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2018 at 4:38 PM, JsBach said:

Is there such thing as a Taoist temple? if so, how and where can I find it? (I live in New Zealand)

Hi JsBach,

The Taoist temple photos from the other Bummies are very beautiful.

I like to add videos on Taoist temples celebrations in Singapore thus:

A Taoist temple located in a flatted apartment -

Individual Taoist household observation during the 7th lunar month -

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.

Sign in to follow this