Sign in to follow this  

Chapter 14: 视之不见名曰夷。听之不闻名曰希。搏之不得名曰微。此三者不可致诘,故混而为一。其上不曒,其下不昧,绳绳不可名,复归於无物。是谓无状之状,无物之象,是谓惚恍。迎之不见其首,随之不见其後。执古之道以御今之有。能知古始,是谓道纪。

Chapter sub-title: Mastery in true leadership

[LP18a]From the very beginning, if I were to speculate what is in the mind of a leader (迎之) and then try to figure out what is the origin or motive of his action (其首), I could hardly ascertain the tasks that he wants to perform (不见). [LP18b]Later having followed his instructions and implemented his plan of action (随之), yet, I could not see (不见) its desirable outcome or consequences (其後).

[LP19]Few people understood the theory of leadership (执古之道) and are able to apply these principles assiduously (以御) to current situations () and subsequently, develop them into model case studies on true leadership (之有).  

[LP20]Therefore, he who had learned the numerous case histories of our forefathers who had demonstrated mastery in the application of the theory of genuine leadership (能知古始), he can teach the others how to execute a plan of action, project, program or policy in accordance with the principles of true leadership (道纪).

Note:

1. The struck out words describe the elementary substance of the universe. I am not going to discuss this.

2. It is quite misleading for me to underline and insert the Chinese texts that it should be relevant to. The better way is to read the Chinese translation.  See below.

学说3:不怀疑上司的督导能力

[LP18a]从一开始就去捉摸一名领导的心意并投身于其所要执行的事情,却又看不见他要执行的事情从何做起。[LP18b]按照他的计划去执行之后,却又不知道其后果如何

[LP19]掌握领导原理而且还将它用于现在有关的案例来分析的人士不多[LP20]既然他力能所及[1]地学习以前领导的案卷*4是怎样周而复始[2],于公于私,于情于理[3]都得实事求是[4]告诉他人这些领导纪律。

[1] 力:体力,能力;及:达到。在自己力量的限度内所能做到的

[2] 周:环绕一圈;复:又,再。转了一圈又一圈,不断循环

[3] 不管是在公事的方面还是在私人的方面,不管是从感情方面还是从理智方面。

[4] 指从实际对象出发,探求事物的内部联系及其发展的规律性,认识事物的本质。通常指按照事物的实际情况办事

I asked the question about the opening of this chapter 視之不見名曰夷,聽之不聞名曰希,搏之不得名曰微,此三者不可致诘,故混而為一  Look at it, it cannot be seen
It is called colorless
Listen to it, it cannot be heard
It is called noiseless
Reach for it, it cannot be held
It is called formless
These three cannot be completely unraveled
So they are combined into one

Derek Lin translation

These 3 descriptions of the Dao are only in this chapter and I have wondered if those terms were important or just descriptions to help understand the reader. What do you think Eric?

• Like 1

[UC13a]There is something that is too fine and thus, cannot be seen by our eyes is called '' (pronounced as ) or microscopic. [UC13b]There is something that is too soft and thus, cannot be heard by our ears is called '' (pronounced as ) or faint. [UC13c]There is something that cannot be scooped with our palms is called '' (pronounced as wēi) or fine. [UC13d]Though we cannot pursue to find out what this thing is, these three descriptions elucidate the same thing, or in simple word, it is the same and the only one object.

Remark: Laozi used these three words to describe wave which is minutely invisible even under the most powerful microscope today. Light is short wave-length, while sound is long wave-length. Light and sound are finitely weightless, without mass. Wave is the only common thing among light, sound and mass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this