Diagram found on the albigen network. It's characterized as "a synopsis of states of consciousness and realization", and is aligned with Ramana Maharshi's commentary on the experience of Samadhi.

Thought I'd share, along with some pertinent commentary by, Sri Sadhu Om.

Mind in Sleep                Kevala Nirvikalpa Samadhi           Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi

1. Mind alive                  1. Mind alive                                      1. Mind dead

2. Sunk in oblivion        2. Sunk in Light                                  2. Resolved into the Self

3. Like a bucket tied to a                 3. Like a river discharged

rope and left lying in the                   into the ocean and its

water in a well                                     identity lost.

4. to be drawn out by the                  4. A river cannot be 

other end of the rope                          redirected from the ocean

Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi: "Merely being unaware of the differences [vikalpas] in the outside world is not the sign of the real nirvikalpa-samadhi. The non-existence of differences [vikalpas] in the mind which is dead is the supreme nirvikalpa-samadhi."

Sri Sadhu Om: "Mano-laya is a state in which the mind knows no objects, and it is of two kinds – sleep and kevala-nirvikalpa-samadhi.

In sleep the mind gets no light from Self, and in kevala-nirvikalpa-samadhi, though the mind gets light from Self, it remains merely as the ‘I’-thought, and the vasanas are neither allowed to function, nor are they destroyed.

When one wakes up from either kind of mano-laya, the vasanas start functioning as before, and so no progress is made in laya, however long one may remain in it. Therefore it is said that it is not sufficient to stop with mano-laya, even if it is kevala-nirvikalpa samadhi.
Laya results because the mind is restrained from dwelling upon external sense-objects, but though the mind is not wandering and is therefore peaceful in this state, one cannot progress further. Whenever the mind wakes up from laya, it will be quiet and peaceful [i.e. it will not be wandering towards objects], and therefore one should make use of such a peaceful mind by directing it towards Self-attention; because only through Self-attention can mano-nasha [i.e. destruction of the mind] be attained.

Many people are under the wrong impression that one who is in nirvikalpa-samadhi should remain inert like an insentient log, knowing neither this body nor the world. After remaining for some time [either days, months or even years] in such a state, which is called kashta-nirvikalpa or kevala-nirvikalpa-samadhi, one’s body-consciousness will return, whereupon the mind will become extroverted and all vices such as lust and anger will rise up due to past tendencies [vasanas].

This kind of samadhi, which is an experience that may occur during the early stages of practice of certain sadhanas, is only a temporary abeyance of mind[mano-laya]. However, the right kind of nirvikalpa-samadhi is only the annihilation of the mind [mano-nasa], the permanent destruction of the primal vikalpa ‘I am the body’. This is the state of true knowledge and is called sahaja-nirvikalpa-samadhi.

Kashta-nirvikalpa-samadhi may be compared to the state of a pot tied with a rope that hangs under water in a well. Like the pot submerged in the water, the mind is submerged in laya. But at any time the pot can be drawn out by the rope. Likewise, since the mind is not destroyed, it can at any time be drawn out again by its vasanas and forced to wander under their sway.

But in sahaja-nirvikalpa-samadhi the mind is dissolved in Self and loses its form or individuality, like a salt-doll immersed in the ocean. Therefore it cannot rise again. Sahaja nirvikalpa samadhi, in which the mind is destroyed, alone is the real samadhi."

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 2

99.9999% of us are not total renunciates and do not take on the dharma of a total renunciate/swami thus it's largely getting ahead of the game when speculating on such...but we tend do so anyway

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, 3bob said:

99.9999% of us are not total renunciates and do not take on the dharma of a total renunciate/swami thus it's largely getting ahead of the game when speculating on such...but we tend do so anyway

Speak for yourself. :) Initially, we would be in agreement...

However, it's primarily gross misinterpretations of what true renunciation actually is that cause dismissal of the direct path. Misinterpretations which are, upon closer inspection, introduced into our reflection/contemplation of the teachings by ego itself. Ego is quite keen on creating such excuses. In truth, it is nothing but subtle misdirection in pursuit of its self-preservation.

Lack of sincerity is to blame also. Most don't truly want to be liberated from their bondage, and misery indeed loves company. I would say the 99.9999% are simply unwilling to actually give up their false egoic identity(no matter how much they tell themselves they actually do want to).

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, neti neti said:

Most don't truly want to be liberated from their bondage

I've seen this play out at retreats... as one approaches the potential for real release and healing... a backlash and rejection sometimes occurs and the one experiencing healing pushes away all progress and potential healing in favor of the old familiar story of the misery that even though miserable, has become comfortably acceptable and often preferrable to the unknowns of actual healing and release.

It never ceases to amaze me when I witness this... However, a story/healing/realization may be told to another, yet it may not be understood/accepted/realized for another.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

The idea of what or who is liberated in a seeming future and after certain events take place is problematic...for the Self can never be bound and then become liberated in a future time through or per such events - thus the Self is free now and always...although I'd say that the deep secrets of veiling and unveiling related to soul, or mind, or ego or whatever terms and meanings  one uses is 99.99%  a secret to most of us and I'm also speaking for myself.    

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Indeed, although there is bondage even in the opposites of the dual/non-dual experience. If Self alone is, then I am not only without two-ness, but without oneness as well.

The idea of finding whatever as problematic is also ego. That same slickster stays concealed, impersonating Self by talking about Self as 2nd and 3rd persons. A master on the "deep secrets" of veiling and unveiling if there ever was one. :)

I suppose it is necessary within the illusion of communication through language with the "other", but the practice is to essentially be cognizant of falsely identifying with that primal "I-thought." The true renunciate silently drowns that imposter in the one true Being. Perhaps it's best if one never spoke at all.

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 1

To meet a master of the "deep secrets" is possible and they work as Sat Guru with Grace, not ego...

Btw,  for me there is no disconnect or divorce between the Self and fullness of Shakti, The Silent and also Roaring Om reveals this and speaks this.  (for example as I take same to be depicted in Sri Yantra, but again that is my take for I'm not into  teachings that sound like transcendental divorce )   

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

To meet such a one is to meet oneself, yet one does not need a mirror, to be.

Ironically, the "disconnect" tends to gain momentum upon an outwardly projected search, and thus a "Master" appears to direct one back from whence one came.

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 2