Sign in to follow this  
windwalker

chinese swords

I will be talking to a friend of mine who has a large collection antique Chinese swords and other old weapons that he's collected in China,
HK and other places spanning different periods in China's history and ages.

If any one has questions that they may have wondered about, either post them here or pm, I can ask him.
He's very knowledgeable, a long time tai mantis practitioner/shifu, one his teachers Wong Jack Man, quite famous in back in the day. 

a clip from long ago...with him and his friend. 

• Like 3

When I first started collecting my blades I considered antiques but after checking a few I realized that all of them would be well beyond my ability to justify the cost.  So I bought replicas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

When I first started collecting my blades I considered antiques but after checking a few I realized that all of them would be well beyond my ability to justify the cost.  So I bought replicas.

He has quite a collection....What is shown in the picture is called a sword coffin,  when worrors died their swords were sent back in its own coffin.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, windwalker said:

He has quite a collection....What is shown in the picture is called a sword coffin,  when worrors died their swords were sent back in its own coffin.   

Yeah, that's why there are still antiques to be had.  Most cultures buried a warrior's weapons with them when they died.  That's what created so many grave robbers.  But then, if there weren't so many grave robbers there would be far fewer antiques available for collectors.  Maybe an example of:  The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

• Like 1

Great  ... spear  too   ! 

I have just started using it  (without the rolls and somersaults  :)  ) .  Basically I suspected a lot of the staff ( long and short ) forms I was doing might be  adapted from the use of spear, so I stuck a spear point on one end and .... bingo !    It even clarified some previous moves in the 'staff' forms that seem unknown  or untaught.   Its nothing like this highly polished,  difficult and well executed 'drill '  above  though .

Another interesting point is the 'double dagger' , they are similar to my two  medium to short length machete  ( I got wooden copies made for training  and 'drills' )  -  I got the forms and techniques from the 6 double weapons forms I study (  3 kama and  3 sai forms  ) .  I hadnt thought about using them against the spear though .   

So thanks for that , 

• Like 3

visited my friend today.  Thought some might be interested...  made from jade, the holes are used to tie it to a staff so it can be used as the blade  

very old

jcIwAknvHqEBBU2oUN3idFiF2KDboMirK7X_MmZzApJsvt5Eo7JbWdU3-JLalXr_tpOjRFJDGk2xKKN4Xm6YRN5fX9Mmhhb71UUP412mwyvYIs8OeAqhTsChMzeaQMRhIcGJ3ktQfiH-wBmSN_3EtKKneKZ2pLIvwd0M6MYC4VDFxUP4Cb07WcrTjj1_UvUJK82jD9lhenP0_YxXjrcknCfEv7tGmWzgF1CtirqOxB6gFVEF2UBosCfR23lxlmEL9iOR0z6L-3oxnX-X1A-JDVJlwvb9R0jj_Z7Q7dmACOZnSH7H-RQXX8U9mEW45iOYuxQJ-VI755Vf1mIHSLbje9WhozIAO8rf4m9jN0BH7S-drrC14iwVStSTEq2S7w1y4fSkroVhokizEtSWyQtT0HZdSHyazWpBnoxuCiSAnkrQF1alNW40-deSSCdjj9yK089RgNV7WfWtgQdLgdQVYqTAWJ5irV6L-9DYPwlfqUc_ZM57OxtUNPxjxomCFU9jLSQAL_3aYF4AfJr3F7UEHTsy94HAolADwgJJwc_kMmZVelw7BNdp2croj3l7EB4uvFGiskyyCYzcdLcWdhe2KPAputsO5r8P4iCDQp6P=w675-h899-no

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Looks like he has enough to open a museum.

;)  he has some of his swords being  shown in museums. 

this collection is at his house,  in his man cave....everyone needs to have a man cave

zYiCAZMY-3McwP5EnVI_5yKMjqqc7V56h0WuyJyQNWVPE4FSPxMUZtaBDI7ainmnOOT7c-fcWwyJAfmcVwet5pbBoW82fQg3j7aiASiKKNpl4kNUC3HlvsLL0Cxzvxgtee0qKbVikDsSTHXq0dYEel5pbztTTGC6cTm6mR0Od24UODANP0C7iP498MuzRsDWGgTJxpb8TL__sGDhD_1mOBaMqT07JfZ7Y9XxrcjTClyKArtFycJLibb16eVsk5gRn2a0gWAcWp54oXDVgp2McA5KoiY6r3qIjf7VsuxLTUyWBWmzB92hWAr-YUQCX9u3l9lXC9U3KHmULbGVczSvK2jpa-AMhRshWIwi2lFxVTTBjekuA4JQ9Yx0nYYsW01eHKCXPlN2fNH-dJ3-cmpFXL1xqIY9h5R3DX7Pvo2qAHqOkmRerRnIvtmoyMgt3_--M6_e5uzShf0cMVl8xXjK0-G-57dmv5MBro3lrNzltZuuJSaadLTliZLw3yuHr1c_d_-QU0SKVY3effVo7GKoPwrP25f9euzZ8Moq8UKw2jjAqlGy7a_t1BxWqTbPS6QTcrvUtpHPwaD4YSoLtqoVnflyUEYp5GpSK9yx82GH=w1920-h805-no

• Like 2

That is a more recent sword.  Damascus steel.

Two pair of my swords are Damascus steel.  The other two are carbon steel.  And then, of course, the practice swords are stainless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

That is a more recent sword.  Damascus steel.

Two pair of my swords are Damascus steel.  The other two are carbon steel.  And then, of course, the practice swords are stainless.

old hilt 

7-PMrNU7rMbXwIOCcPwIP-TdHwJLxGsPBrlQ472YVm_42FsKpcPXHNzPsLDgf_pTBKCQZIiY7BQAcT6G9iKZ5RW79ctgTVaO3oaTs5_8cv2UxM_w46cwWpAv8qErDO0Kf52hpGMOG7E9tgLp314io1Eaf3Sg6tgkqbkwaNTXz1W0gJ617GxCGI_cYZDFOIm8rG_AlpE4DYtF8cbGiKlegaLEMGi_kMIaR6-PifZyK9hyws-Y_Zb9kaBEBcpMVzEX8M9uC27bewCFDZuToLLyNaLbYHZQ3rsF6AD5zdHcqCqDDI2BbO1j5qWz5Dq1fHZsgNJRZzsBTvqArP83w4E1kts2LvKV7pthsgtrzCyg7a9notgQZZqtEyYSkLyygmoLBNqbaseX9QvIC8tHAsekvc5B4Dj8DsQjeXxPIG-swHlFMHbRTm0t9BoVBgcOCD0_hWDU0nNjgM7XDOJuQsCK4v00gMr4yLHLClGiQz1XyXPxKppPBadjoQKkgiy4_V0i96HyM0es_8ThCQVh9T67Nu0MJJsmQWpPdqb7qDSmY-Ps_rEogiBRp1Ke6QVnxEQiTNEsbTcXVaEuM6P2lKwgpsjnHg43wTwzlFewS3-C=w675-h899-no

old sword 

c2CvVE8BCxsdc9qSpiU25J14iJn0v6VUYTmOIm_ESU4yvS-fMU31oscVbrheLg544XCXsXR96TzeO2Da5je-0RmIr8wmRdlqE5dT0tgin11iUlAoyB4Sbzah6hns9n5Vqgd2NZwrz_icGled-v6JuvlVfgG1bNqmxNeHl0IrCThSGZYBVsu_Q5Rg5JYMpd9YZsDXO1C4JnmyBI8gu__0cdmSiGWRtuIEgSXTUJ8vYKiv9jgfD4V1IpMOUAgfAONFlmUoDzJ4MCsyZmsjXVvHCP_hinpj8lHFAiuWcSxmiSK9QMMvzQkhAw-Qub2uoaiGnfjVISN-pOWpqtztNrtRwgd9jCOwTYRfagQbYkFU3v9qxUrXCB4jMDuRMuyk-dptTc8wehYbnAUslE_XQU5d3IvH_12APAcS9p3AhnCjxW_imoKxZjl897BAypxvEWC6V32uOlgo6enad7e3VZzRqq5RHjRVKz4d5Py-emLD-HnRIkYngWdj1S_FDmKlojqNh8xY4OHO7LGwjq1mL4XBHO15M3Z2yaBfls7rd14f31fAUWXHRWt9cORfLpSIYigonFM4Dmu4gICVEOeua9YSR4bDPu4yRxjIHzmKTCEN=w1890-h899-no

• Like 1

Yeah, like I mentioned, all mine are recent replicas.  Well, except for some of my daggers.  

I have a number of older daggers from India and Pakistan and even sub-Sharia Africa.  Plus two WWII German daggers.  About half of the older daggers are simply ornamental.  Others are true assassin's daggers (the curved, double edge blade).

That one in the bottom picture above is likely 2500 years old. 

7 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

That one in the bottom picture above is likely 2500 years old. 

yep,  all his swords are very old, amazing what they did back then....even the helmets

rhiM0ZrqKD0Hfa4MrBQRIXPiwxI0PlSzBfLBbrfaqFF7BKfdROcO1x2JwqoTbtaNfUJtGDPg5yoXqe_mmgj2ERs1K2YnMAwyu10gRCGqBzxKJBzBUqLjQjYIK9R4Htgmjw_YGuXP_q9VbGwBIv7LRjoFKd-xod0RXHhA1k53qFZCIYa6ZJawK6R2XGHY0ZQvQdJyEklztt1Zv7n5oilFyuLxv3grr8SccJTqJ_fiOROB30ZHfHLO9s0ggRwmb4LSyfHqsWaGwaht6WTlizSppSEOLCWuKwJTZ48o1GGD_OIrhfXLuoG_u_STmHXwFU1MS_spZVvhWiYADC4LyV3K7u1n_ZAfaFt0Yq9jBzL4zbm4T8VbdLcMlxRQQeIV0qG_n23QETlSPsqhoo-DMu-5mey1nhT7nC6QTToII-kRpwMibPnldmuzYhas4yGubjoZnn4xGXNSFHh7v0-kWEJ7bZKU26hXktVvxrk4iJUkGhffealu_IzQ4ghzgZIOYLsHd_Ex4NUD30L5wH8U64QqOB9Mtftk9vcbN2qILSBulb9MkVqbMjc6q_FhVUy8mkh6mGLWAB7lu8Ma_9IXqd_QOvB2cVCIXNICQPb9ANlB=w675-h899-no  

• Like 1

Wow, some lovely blades.  The Jade particularly resonate.

My collection started when I inherited a few blades as a late teen.  My Mother had been holding them for me.  They came to me from her Brother, for whom I was named as he passed just before my birth.   

He was an army Dr in the sixties and was stationed throughout Africa for most of his service.  There he acquired several bush swords from Northern Tribes and two german officer swords from what look like WW1 days.  Animal skin scabbards.

I've since added several daisho, having a deep respect for the japanese folded styles, along with several European replicas.

For my upcoming 50th birthday, I've alloted cash for a couple of (what I hope will be high end) Damascan Steel Blades.  Still in the ferreting phase on this... want to find a reputable dealer and avoid knockoffs, which is tough, considering the purchase will almost certainly be digital and online from pictures only.

Any recommendations of reputable purveyors of Damascan blades anyone here can offer?

22 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I checked but cannot find any records of my purchases.  

Have fun finding what you are looking for.

Thanks for checking.

It's already been a labor of love... drooling over the various blades, styles, knowing a couple of them will eventually be resting in my hands.

• Like 1

All they had to do was to go to Pakistan or Germany.  Both have sword makers who know the secret of Damascus steel.  I have some Damascus steel pocket knives from Germany and most of my standard daggers are Damascus steel from Pakistan.

Sign in to follow this