Lost in Translation

Why is light always in such a hurry?

If we know something or sense something instantly that is faster than the speed of light.

I would recommend this type of speed.

Physically traveling at 186 thousand miles an hour our body would disintegrate rushing and hurry not so good.

The formless body is the recommended vehicle for traveling to distant places then the light won't slow us down.

Quantum entanglement moves faster than light. If I have two electrons close together, they can vibrate in unison, according to the quantum theory. If I then separate them, an invisible umbilical cord emerges which connects the two electrons, even though they may be separated by many light years. If I jiggle one electron, the other electron "senses" this vibration instantly, faster than the speed of light. Einstein thought that this therefore disproved the quantum theory, since nothing can go faster than light.

But actually this experiment (the EPR experiment) has been done many times, and each time Einstein was wrong. Information does go faster than light, but Einstein has the last laugh. This is because the information that breaks the light barrier is random, and hence useless. (For example, let's say a friend always wears one red sock and one green sock. You don't know which leg wears which sock. If you suddenly see that one foot has a red sock, then you know instantly, faster than the speed of light, that the other sock is green. But this information is useless. You cannot send Morse code or usable information via red and green socks.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why is light always in such a hurry?

Now that is a damn good question!  Blowing some brain fuses here feeling for an answer.  Something about it not being matter.  'They' say that matter is simply slowed down light ...

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's not that light moves fast, it's just that we move so slow in comparison that it seems to move fast. In fact, light is actually pretty slow if you think about how long it takes for it to travel across the universe, in comparison to instant travel.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

For example, let's say a friend always wears one red sock and one green sock. You don't know which leg wears which sock. If you suddenly see that one foot has a red sock, then you know instantly, faster than the speed of light, that the other sock is green.

I'm going to dissent here. It takes time for the light to reach the eye, the eye then encodes & transmits the information, the sensory information is filtered through the various gateways in the brain, stitched together in a scene that makes sense, then the brain must recall the information regarding socks from memory & associate it with the image of reality it has created. 

It only appears to be instant because our experience of it is "instant" when in actuality even the image of reality our brain has stitched together & used to come to this conclusion is based on data from several microseconds in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time slows as speed increases, until theoretically at the speed of light, it all but ceases, from the perspective of light... from the perspective of light, (if light has perspective, or if I'm permitted to imagine such) then it takes no time at all to traverse the ends of our physical universe from the perspective of light.

Kind of a paradox.

Also interesting that in recent years, disclosure from multiple sources that the speed of light is not measured as an absolute.  It's not constant as was touted in my time at University.  The measurements of light vary, however slightly, this seems key, though I don't have a mind/word/concept for why it seems such.

I often sit in the dark.  I crafted a box, which I put inside a closet, then cover it from the inside to make a truly dark space in which to sit.  A place to get fully away from all the light of cities and evenings.  Particularly all the 'man made' light,  light of partial spectrum.  Not sure why... it's just a compulsion that developed and wouldn't subside, so I acquiesced to it.

It's remarkable the effect of true dark on my entire being, not just my eyes and mind function.  Hand in hand she seems to stroll with the potency of Silence.  Though true silence I've only encountered once, sitting in a ravine in the deep desert with my new wife, in mid day.  The thunder in that silence triggered a cascade in both of us that still resonates three decades later.

In sitting in the dark, I wondered... were I a source of light... what would I see?

If I were sending light out in all directions, to me, I would see... nothing.

The only time I see anything, is when light comes to me from a source, or it bounces off another object.  So if I were a source of light, and there were nothing to reflect that light off of, I would perceive...?

I am a source of light, albeit, tiny.  My physical form (which I know to be mere vibration... an apparent pattern/form that is mostly empty thanks to the teachings of taoism, physics and buddhism) constantly radiates small bio-photons of light and my interactions with Awareness take on the characteristics of light when dealing with matters of mind and emotion.  Shedding the light of simple awareness will dispel illusions of mind like fog in morning light...  phyisics reminds me that all matter, all of our universe, is varying frequencies of light.  We consider them different according to how we interact with them in their resonance... but sound is merely auditory light. 

What is the speed of silence?  of dark?  What is dark?  To me, it's not just the absence of light and physics agrees.  96% of the matter driving gravitational expansion is beyond the ken of our biological perception as well as those of our tools of observation.

I keep coming back to some things though... Like the only colors I perceive of objects... are the colors the objects are not.  This also hooks into my awareness and won't let go...

The green of an apple comes to my eye, as that is the only color that is rebounded off of the apple.  This applies to the rebounded light from all objects that enters my eye.  So, in effect, I am only ever seeing the light that objects are not.  Adding to this, at my slow vibration well below the speed of light, there is indeed a goodly delay between the light entering my eye, being processed, filtered and interpreted into thought/idea/reaction, so all I'm ever working with in my mind, is the slight past.

I love this topic.  Probably a good thing, I'm off to work, or I'd babble on incessantly all morning.

Thanks for posting this... I'll have a lovely ride in and a better day with this topic rattling around in my mind box.

Man I Love This Place!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

The only time I see anything, is when light comes to me from a source, or it bounces off another object.  So if I were a source of light, and there were nothing to reflect that light off of, I would perceive...?

An excellent observation!

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

My physical form (which I know to be mere vibration... an apparent pattern/form that is mostly empty thanks to the teachings of taoism, physics and buddhism) constantly radiates small bio-photons of light

Another excellent observation!

[On a purely side note I would caution against use of adjectives like "mere" in statements like the above. Adjectives tend to transform observation and fact into judgement and opinion. It's very subtle but it builds with time and has an effect. In my opinion there is nothing "mere" about our physical bodies, whether they be products of vibration, of light, or any other phenomena]

• Like 1

On 23/03/2018 at 10:45 AM, Wu Ming Jen said:

. If I have two electrons close together, they can vibrate in unison, according to the quantum theory. If I then separate them, an invisible umbilical cord emerges which connects the two electrons, even though they may be separated by many light years. If I jiggle one electron, the other electron "senses" this vibration instantly, faster than the speed of light. Einstein thought that this therefore disproved the quantum theory, since nothing can go faster than light.

But actually this experiment (the EPR experiment) has been done many times, and each time Einstein was wrong. Information does go faster than light, but Einstein has the last laugh. This is because the information that breaks the light barrier is random, and hence useless. (For example, let's say a friend always wears one red sock and one green sock. You don't know which leg wears which sock. If you suddenly see that one foot has a red sock, then you know instantly, faster than the speed of light, that the other sock is green. But this information is useless. You cannot send Morse code or usable information via red and green socks.)

Wot ?  :huh: 

< unless you are being rather 'poetic' here  > 

22 hours ago, Aetherous said:

It's not that light moves fast, it's just that we move so slow in comparison that it seems to move fast. In fact, light is actually pretty slow if you think about how long it takes for it to travel across the universe, in comparison to instant travel.

Yes 'imagination'  travels faster than light , not information , two different things.  (Thats what I  think you mean , as I know no other form of 'instant travel' ) .

But what when you look at a far away  star ( 'ancient' light ) then quickly zip your eyes across the sky to another star far away from the first ,  maybe thousands and thousands of light year apart, it only takes  a fraction   of a second to cover the distance   B)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Time slows as speed increases, until theoretically at the speed of light, it all but ceases, from the perspective of light... from the perspective of light, (if light has perspective, or if I'm permitted to imagine such) then it takes no time at all to traverse the ends of our physical universe from the perspective of light.

Kind of a paradox.

Also interesting that in recent years, disclosure from multiple sources that the speed of light is not measured as an absolute.  It's not constant as was touted in my time at University.  The measurements of light vary, however slightly, this seems key, though I don't have a mind/word/concept for why it seems such.

I often sit in the dark.  I crafted a box, which I put inside a closet, then cover it from the inside to make a truly dark space in which to sit.  A place to get fully away from all the light of cities and evenings.  Particularly all the 'man made' light,  light of partial spectrum.  Not sure why... it's just a compulsion that developed and wouldn't subside, so I acquiesced to it.

It's remarkable the effect of true dark on my entire being, not just my eyes and mind function.  Hand in hand she seems to stroll with the potency of Silence.  Though true silence I've only encountered once, sitting in a ravine in the deep desert with my new wife, in mid day.  The thunder in that silence triggered a cascade in both of us that still resonates three decades later.

In sitting in the dark, I wondered... were I a source of light... what would I see?

I am a source of light, albeit, tiny.  My physical form (which I know to be mere vibration... an apparent pattern/form that is mostly empty thanks to the teachings of taoism, physics and buddhism) constantly radiates small bio-photons of light and my interactions with Awareness take on the characteristics of light when dealing with matters of mind and emotion.  Shedding the light of simple awareness will dispel illusions of mind like fog in morning light...  phyisics reminds me that all matter, all of our universe, is varying frequencies of light.  We consider them different according to how we interact with them in their resonance... but sound is merely auditory light. 

What is the speed of silence?  of dark?  What is dark?  To me, it's not just the absence of light and physics agrees.  96% of the matter driving gravitational expansion is beyond the ken of our biological perception as well as those of our tools of observation.

I keep coming back to some things though... Like the only colors I perceive of objects... are the colors the objects are not.  This also hooks into my awareness and won't let go...

The green of an apple comes to my eye, as that is the only color that is rebounded off of the apple.  This applies to the rebounded light from all objects that enters my eye.  So, in effect, I am only ever seeing the light that objects are not.  Adding to this, at my slow vibration well below the speed of light, there is indeed a goodly delay between the light entering my eye, being processed, filtered and interpreted into thought/idea/reaction, so all I'm ever working with in my mind, is the slight past.

I love this topic.  Probably a good thing, I'm off to work, or I'd babble on incessantly all morning.

Thanks for posting this... I'll have a lovely ride in and a better day with this topic rattling around in my mind box.

Man I Love This Place!

:)  

Spoiler

Black.jpg?format=1500w

Edited by Nungali

13 minutes ago, Nungali said:

But what when you look at a far away  star ( 'ancient' light ) then quickly zip your eyes across the sky to another star far away from the first ,  maybe thousands and thousands of light year apart, it only takes  a fraction   of a second to cover the distance   B)

Good point. Perhaps in doing that, our perception is traveling faster than the light from those stars? :D

25 minutes ago, Nungali said:

But what when you look at a far away  star ( 'ancient' light ) then quickly zip your eyes across the sky to another star far away from the first ,  maybe thousands and thousands of light year apart, it only takes  a fraction   of a second to cover the distance 

But... um... I don't think it works that way, but since this is the TAO bums, not the PHYSICS bums let's roll with it! :)

55 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Good point. Perhaps in doing that, our perception is traveling faster than the light from those stars? :D

But what exactly are we perceiving? Are we perceiving the object that is light years away or are we perceiving the light that has traveled light years from that object as it was in the past to our eyes in the present? If we perceive the former then our perceptions truly are faster than light, but if the latter then not so much.

• Like 1

You got it !

The light from those stars ( that we observed  / looked at )  left those locations thousands and thousands of years ago and its path converged as it travelled towards the earth until it reached our eyes where it was only about a meter apart

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Wot ?  :huh: 

< unless you are being rather 'poetic' here  > 

This should explain it, using the red and green sock analogy.

• Thanks 1

No thanks .

I dont like those 'metaphors explaining physics  vids '    and  them electrons having unbiblical chords  stuff    :angry:

Its more like  this  ...... < looks round for props >   ... half this old chorizo and this  .....    egg flipper .

(Now I am having flashbacks to that thread here  about  'world famous, important, professional and tv glamorous  physicists  explaining E=MCand there were all these nods here about it  but I said they were wrong .

Yes Brian Cox !  You were wrong .  And I was mocked (or not understood )  only our very own Brian ( God bless him, wherever he is )  agreed with me . 

TV psychicists .... phtoey  ! 

Prof Brian Cox looking adorable ;

BrianCox_02.jpg

:rolleyes:

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 1

Okay ... I watched it .

Nothing in there about electron umbilicals  and  'jiggling'   .  

Like I said ..... 'poetic' .

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Kind of a paradox.

Man I Love This Place!

Excellent post! There is so much to digest here. Upon second reading I am so glad you wrote this! _/|\_

9 hours ago, Nungali said:

Okay ... I watched it .

Nothing in there about electron umbilicals  and  'jiggling'   .  

Like I said ..... 'poetic' .

Yes, that Utube channel, Veritasium?, is not the usual dumbed down scientific pablum dished out for seven year olds.  They get into the nitty gritty of the situation and tell it like it is.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 7:52 AM, Lost in Translation said:

[On a purely side note I would caution against use of adjectives like "mere" in statements like the above. Adjectives tend to transform observation and fact into judgement and opinion. It's very subtle but it builds with time and has an effect. In my opinion there is nothing "mere" about our physical bodies, whether they be products of vibration, of light, or any other phenomena]

Thanks Mate.  I'll attempt to clarify intent. 

The use of mere is not authoritarian, for I claim no authority... nor do I intend a denigration, or devaluation of the physical.  (Although I hold no worship of, nor attribute great importance to the body, or any forms over non-forms, I don't denigrate them either). 

Mere in this case is used to connote my sense of the stark contrast between my prior illusory experience of the seeming solidity of forms/perceived objects, to the realization of what is now a deep abiding experience that what before seemed solid, now is experienced as simply/merely/essentially, emptiness and vibratory flow of energy in patterns perceived. 

Perhaps simply, or essentially would carry less emotional/judgemental value as a word.  I'm not certain.  Merely still flows as I work the phrases in my mind. 

In semantics, each word carries a meaning for each mind.  Clarity is so appreciated though... so

To me, everything is light of varying frequencies... a la Tesla's Cosmological models.  For me, there is nothing solid, unchanging and concrete, all is (merely, simply, basically, essentially) vibration/emptiness/non-thingness that I used to attribute solidity to, and now, realize (for myself only) is the interpretation of endless flow.  Each of my senses is a glimpse, interpretation and processing of the flowing present, experienced in a frozen state in my mind as a past.

If any words bring a sense of judgement or authority, simply disregard...  I am sharing only and not claiming anything as truth. 

And as usual, I am not at all serious... though I am very sincere.

• Like 1