Stewart

Random observations

Back in the days when I worked in Data Processing (Information Technology in today's parlance) we used the term Daemon which was like a Bot today.  Usually it was connected to email servers and handled simple tasks.  I have had communications from Daemon which were terse and led me to wonder if Daemon was just a name a human used or was a very clever Bot.  Subsequently I have decided it was the former and not the later, but I could be wrong.

On another topic, am I wrong in assuming that Tao Bums is a tip of the hat to Jack Kerouac's "The Dharma Bums"?  Or is that some sort of cosmic coinkydink?

• Like 2

The TDB user named Daemon? I think it's a human, too. :)

Demons in general, though, i have wondered the same thing about. Just like in computers, the daemon is a process that runs all the time in the background, invisible until something else calls upon it. (In Windows they call it a Service.. less scary.) So i was thinking, the type of real-life daemon that does things like answer peoples' ouija board questions, etc., is it conscious, or more of a bot? Like, is there actually a guy in a cubicle in hell kind of taking calls? Or it it just reflecting back some pieces of the askers own consciousness in a way they might not have expected?

No clue on the naming, but i love it. I put Dharma Bums in the search box on the home page and do see a few other references to the same book likely being the inspiration. Maybe just was started by a beach bum. They can be pretty dao-ey.

Answer C: All of the above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stewart said:

The first rule about Tao Bums is there is no talking about Tao Bums.

That's pretty much a valid statement although I would add "in an insulting manner".

On 3/26/2018 at 12:26 AM, Marblehead said:

That's pretty much a valid statement although I would add "in an insulting manner".

Hi Dada-da,

The statement is - "The first rule about Tao Bums is there is no talking about Tao Bums".

There is not such a rule because I google "tao bums" and I found these among others:

c13a2fc9d48712fa6a3ccb326d15f6e3.jpg

benjamin-hoff-benjamin-hoff-it-means-that-tao-doesnt-force-or.jpg

tao-te-ching-quote-when-spring-comes-the-grass-grows-by-itself.jpg

chapter_36.gif

chapter_2_1.png

tao_te_ching_ch_13_quote1.jpg

Google thus ("tao bums")and you can find out more...

As for "an insulting manner", I have googled "insulting a Taoist" and found these:

famous-love-quotes_10043-4.png

Insult-Quotes-3.jpg

157383-Insulting-Others-Is-Never-A-Way.jpg

Insult-Quotations-023.jpg

8b44b9618e25a2f2a1c6efbc3f366781.jpg

Google thus ("insulting a Taoist") and you can find out more...

A great weekend.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 8:48 PM, Stewart said:

... wonder if Daemon was just a name a human used or was a very clever Bot. 

Hi Stewart,

695091824-No-Turning-Back.jpg

Quote_Tech_01_umo.jpg

205213232-inspirational-image-quote_15630-1.png

quote-Paul-Kagame-we-cannot-turn-the-clock-back-nor-21054.png

29b381c67aa237fe84a417bbc2b44bd9.png

124014038-LaoTzujpeg.jpg

a440e269d61d5136c11bb7359997d65e.jpg

- LimA

2 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Is this the image spam thread? Can I play too?

Hi Lost in Translation,

Sure - let us play on...

2363694845_3cb9812102_b-12com9h.jpg

quote-two-heads-are-definitely-better-than-one-and-by-brainstorming-as-a-team-and-sourcing-richard-branson-120-97-78.jpg

mon-quote-apple-ideas-for-blog-post.jpg

530667.png

god-gave-us-everything-in-pairs-two-hands-two-eyes-two-ear-but-why-only-one-heart-because-he-gave-another-to-someone-else-for-us-to-go-find-sad-quote.jpg

Spam_2.jpg

image.img.620.high.jpg

Spam-email_0.jpg

1024px-No-spam.svg.png

- LimA

• Haha 1

There is the way of meme and this one the way of wisdom/motivational quote image. Having multiple pictures that suit the situation. Respect to the master.

I was watching a television show about a pair of naked people who try to survive in the wild for 21 days with only a knife, steel pot, and some flint to make fire. About day 16 the woman (there is always one man and one woman on the show) was walking by a dry creek bed and she saw a small turtle. She gently picked it up and with great mixed-emotion looked at it and said: "I know. It's that day."

The next scene she and her partner were eating turtle.

6 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

A small turtle.

Hi Lost in Translation,

Your turtle story has reminded me of the time when I found one on a busy road whilst driving.

I picked it up and released it to a turtle sanctuary in a temple. Therefter that I was told by the temple that henceforth I would not be able to eat turtle/tortoise.

I had not taken such meat before but I felt good about the reminder re my sincerity and commitment.

To me meeting the turtle thus was a part of my spiritual destiny - I became more compassionate in terms of catch and release.

Catch and release - spilled over to my own freedom in terms of conscious (de)attachments in my life at large.

- LimA

6 hours ago, Limahong said:

I picked it up and released it to a turtle sanctuary in a temple. Therefter that I was told by the temple that henceforth I would not be able to eat turtle/tortoise.

I had not taken such meat before but I felt good about the reminder re my sincerity and commitment.

I had a similar experience, albeit with a cockroach instead of a turtle. Now I can no longer desire to kill them. When I do find a cockroach I gently trap it and release it in the yard. 

5 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

I had a similar experience, albeit with a cockroach instead of a turtle. Now I can no longer desire to kill them. When I do find a cockroach I gently trap it and release it in the yard. 

Close to where the frogs are?  I'm sure they would appreciate it.

45 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Close to where the frogs are?  I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Frogs? I wish I had frogs! All I have are squirrels, raccoons, crows, and lots of cats! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 9th said:

Hi 9th,

What is the meaning of - मनसा ध्यानमित्येकभूयं वै प्राणा?

Which language is it?

- LimA

15 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

Yes.

- LimA

Yeah, it's neat watching them in the wild.  And I have never felt sorry for any of the roaches that became a frog's supper.

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi 9th,

What is the meaning of - मनसा ध्यानमित्येकभूयं वै प्राणा?

"With mind, meditate on me as being prana"

its sanskrit