45 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Strange you selected "Arirang" for that example...

Hi Dada-da,

I chose "Arirang" because (a) the suffering in the Korean Peninsular, (b) the American orchestra was in North Korea and (c) I am keeping my fingers crossed re the North Korea of today.

45 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

It is my favorite Korean song although I prefer it with traditional instruments and vocals.

Here goes -

Hope for the future?

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Like 1

The second video is the version of the song I first heard.  There are many different versions of the song, something like every province in Korea, both North and South, has their own version.

6 hours ago, Marblehead said:

There are many different versions of the song, something like every province in Korea, both North and South, has their own version.

Good morning Dada-da,

"Arirang" (아리랑) is a Korean folk song, often considered the unofficial national anthem of Korea.There are about 3,600 variations of 60 different versions of the song. It is estimated the song is more than 600 years old. It is included twice on the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage list. South Korea successfully submitted the song for inclusion on the UNESCO list in 2012. North Korea also successfully submitted the song for inclusion in 2014. In 2015, the South Korean Cultural Heritage Administration added the song to its list of important intangible cultural assets.

- Wikipedia

A celebration of Arirang:

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2018 at 8:19 AM, Stewart said:

My main interests are twofold.

First I would like to know about a more pure Tao. Yes, oxymoron aside,  a system, methodology, or approach to the Tao that does not contain concepts of Buddhism, Hinduism or any other Ism. 

Daoism, Buddhism, Confuscianism, Mohism, and others have been blended quite extensively in Chinese philosophy and culture. I think the best way to try and find a purely Daoist approach is to find a credible teacher of Daoist meditation and to practice. My teacher always discouraged us from studying and reading and felt that it was a waste of valuable practice time. While the concepts we can learn from Daoist writings are valuable and sensible, the experiential practices take you directly to the source which is untainted by concept.

For me the Buddhist concepts of reincarnation, Karma, the Dharma are irrelevant to what I seek.  I don't seek to avoid suffering, as I suffer very little or possibly not at all, so the eight-fold path holds little value for me. 

To know the Dao, we need to give up the seeking.

I suppose that what I would like to know more about is the Tao itself. A tall order indeed, given the unknowable nature of the Tao,  but that is my direction. 

Not at all a tall order, this is precisely the role of meditation in Daoism.

You are already a pure manifestation of the Dao, you're just not aware of it.

While the Dao may be unspeakable, I would disagree that it is unknowable.

You can also get a taste from other experiential practices - neigong, qigong, internal martial arts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve said:

My teacher always discouraged us from studying and reading and felt that it was a waste of valuable practice time. While the concepts we can learn from Daoist writings are valuable and sensible, the experiential practices take you directly to the source which is untainted by concept.

This is valuable information and worth repeating.

I very much see in my own life that we enter times of study, followed by times of practice, followed by study, then practice, etc...

The longer we remain in one phase (the study or the practice) the harder it becomes to let that go and transition to the other.

This applies to all things.

• Like 1

Tao is not a thing, place, or substance.

Tao is not physical, and not spirit.

"Tao" means "Way" - like "the way apples fall" or "the way to make a deal".

"Pure" Tao is a strange idea, but it could mean not adding any ideas or associations or assumptions.

Like thinking Tao could even BE "pure" or "impure".

As it happens, due to the Way happenings go, something appeared.

That "some-thing", that "thing" has polarity - existence/non-existence, up/down, left/right, etc.

This is "YinYang" - "Polarity" and the Movements of Polarity.

This Movement is "Qi" - the movements between the poles of any polarity.

So there is the basics of "Tao", "YinYang", and "Qi".

- VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 11:52 PM, Marblehead said:

Strange you selected "Arirang" for that example as it is my favorite Korean song

On 4/6/2018 at 5:43 AM, Marblehead said:

There are many different versions of the song, something like every province in Korea, both North and South, has their own version.

Hi Dada-da,

Were/are the Koreans not already unified by "Arirang" as a One Korea?

Who/what separated them?

Why 12 June 2018 - after close to 70 years of separation? Possible?

042b6ebcf5df350ecc306df8847ad69c.jpg

1766558303-Inner-Peace-Quotes-Thoughts-Images-Wallpapers-Pictures-Photos.jpg

#dailylifenotes Dance

1322408491-Differences-quote-16.jpg

dancing-quotes-5-728.jpg?cb=12172459281087237558_03d30a175b.jpg

Again - possible?

Please say - YES!

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Like 1

My main interests are twofold.

First I would like to know about a more pure Tao. Yes, oxymoron aside,  a system, methodology, or approach to the Tao that does not contain concepts of Buddhism, Hinduism or any other Ism.  For me the Buddhist concepts of reincarnation, Karma, the Dharma are irrelevant to what I seek.  I don't seek to avoid suffering, as I suffer very little or possibly not at all, so the eight-fold path holds little value for me.  I suppose that what I would like to know more about is the Tao itself. A tall order indeed, given the unknowable nature of the Tao,  but that is my direction.  My concept of the Tao is like in the Katha Upanishad, the discussion of the unmanifested self.  It seems obvious to me that when the 10,000 manifestations came about that dualism was born and that dualism has been echoing down thru (linear) time.  And it would be helpful to return to this (pure) Tao to shake off the remnants of our "creation".  To do this I don't want to go down the isles of the spiritual supermarket throwing what ever catches my eye into the cart. This cherry picking of what appeals from various systems and adding them to our current pursuit is just clouding the water.

Second I would like know more about (Tao) Sages.  Are there any Sages today and if so how does one access them? What constitutes a Sage and how does one know the qualifications of a Sage.

Tao gives birth to the ten thousand things and are not in hostile camps. Each polar complete opposite also contains the other. Duality good and bad are perceptions of those that do not have a unified mind.

If one wishes to know Tao there is nothing to know. True emptiness is not empty there is something unknowable.When mind has no thing to attach it self to this is an aspect of Tao and pacifies the mind, calm, still and tranquil even in the mist of activity. 

If you wish to know sages and be given the gift then hard work and bitterness must be endured mastering the physical realm to reach the formless. No short cuts or skipping steps as one method is learned it is abandoned and education continues. Few have the ability and good luck to meet such teaches and when you do you will be tested to see if you will break and quit.

Dualism is a mental dis order.Mostly crafted in western civilization due to Greek philosophy as the bases of their world view and putting man over nature just a couple of mistakes to avoid when learning about the way. Good Luck

21 minutes ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Dualism is a mental disorder.

Hi Wu Ming Jen,

Are North Korea and South Korea - the barbed outcomes of dualistic mental disorders?

th?id=OIP.Ehc4xmKmjp8Q0R8eVvuJKwHaE7&pid=15.1&P=0&w=245&h=164

Good night.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Were/are the Koreans not already unified by "Arirang" as a One Korea?

Who/what separated them?

Why 12 June 2018 - after close to 70 years of separation? Possible?

The Koreas were unified until the end of WWII.  Russians got the North and the USA got the South.

The Korean War only cemented the separation.

Yes, it is possible for the two to be unified again.  A very good possibility, I think.

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Are North Korea and South Korea - the barbed outcomes of dualistic mental disorders?

The Korean people didn't want the separation.  It was forced upon them by Russia and the USA.

15 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yes, it is possible for the two to be unified again.  A very good possibility, I think.

I hope so! Berlin was separated for almost 30 years and ultimately united. It's about time for Korea to do the same. Hopefully Kim will see the benefit of opening up the north. Hopefully his generals will let him if he tries! I don't think we'll see luxury hotels replace the gunnery walls any time soon but maybe we'll see some electric lights at night and a few passports issued. One can only hope...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Wu Ming Jen,

th?id=OIP.Ehc4xmKmjp8Q0R8eVvuJKwHaE7&pid=15.1&P=0&w=245&h=164

Good night.

- LimA

You should study history and wars to identify the way things are. Personal we are not the cause of suchness and can navigate the waters and not be drowned by the water or burned by fire.

Edited by Wu Ming Jen
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 1:02 AM, steve said:

My teacher always discouraged us from studying and reading and felt that it was a waste of valuable practice time. While the concepts we can learn from Daoist writings are valuable and sensible, the experiential practices take you directly to the source which is untainted by concept.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:14 AM, Lost in Translation said:

This is valuable information and worth repeating.

Hi Lost in Translation,

I am repeating the worth - experiential learning gives me first-hand untainted knowledge.

i-guess-experience-is-just-learning-at-first-hand-the-things-you-knew-all-along-anyway-quote-1.jpg

What "I knew all along" was/is there in Nature/Life - waiting for me to explore/tap through actions. But my actions remained inert/latent/dormant/... until I was physically/mentally crippled at one stage of my life. The experience as such a cripple was humbling.

ive-gained-first-hand-knowledge-of-the-challenges-faced-by-people-with-disabilities-its-made-me-quote-1.jpg

knowledge-and-education-in-the-hands-of-one-who-claims-no-higher-accountability-or-authority-than-quote-1.jpg

532097.png

46e0d422292690554a05598652bba3e8.jpg

7d099184000be060ef270958fc75a4ce.jpg

Any more gems worth repeating? I am listening - silently.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong

21 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Personal(ly) we are not the cause of suchness and can navigate the waters and not be drowned by the water or burned by fire.

Hi Wu Ming Jen,

What transpired on 12 June 2018 happened in my backyard.

Days (before and after) that date - I was/am bombarded on TV by power-plays which I find them hard to accept.

So instead of studying "history and wars to identify the way things are" - I prefer to listen to these silently and repeatedly:

There are thousands of different renditions of Arirang of which - this is one:

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

To me pure tao is to de-evolve back into the "singularity?" that was before the theoretical big bang.

It is also to evolve so far that one finds the tao at the end of the journey anyway.

As above. so below.

There is yin in yang and yang in yin, and under it all is Wu-wei (void).

Wu-wei in many respects is the start and the end of Tao.

So no matter what one does, one is on the path,

question is if one is conscious of the journey or not.

I certainly have not been a lot of the time,

and I still have a lot of evolving to do to gain full consciousness.

But at least I know the path in theory, which is something I guess.

• Like 1