Sign in to follow this  
malakai

Looking for some pranayama / tummo advice

Greetings,

I have been doing daily pranayama with an emphasis on kumbhaka for about 2 months now.

During the kumbhaka I perform mula bandha for 30 seconds, along with some tension by the navel.

Each round of pranayama lasts a bit over a minute.

I've found that the contractions have become more subtle compared to when training started.

The urge to breathe has lately become more of a decision based on how the overall body feels, compared to feeling forced to breathe earlier on from what used to be more violent contractions.

Since adding mula bandha a couple weeks ago, I'm quite often aware of a warmth by my coccyx.

Usually I don't feel it during the practice, but later when sitting on bed I can feel the warmth.

It sometimes feels like sitting on a heater.

I see on this forum a lot mentioned about qi gong. But it seems that the Indian method is simply to let the breath

do the purification and the opening of the channels.

My goal is to purify all nadis and to reach absorption in the central channel. While I've experienced the warmth by the coccyx, the energy has yet to shoot up. Is this only a matter of time? Should I incorporate other exercises that help with reaching the central channel?

During the inhalation phase in every round of pranayama, I do imagine pulling/guiding the energy from the root, past the coccyx, up the spine and over the skull towards the third eye. I practice chastity.

I know that patience is needed. The adaptation of the system takes time. But I would very appreciate any advice, perhaps from people experienced in mula bandha / tummo / long term breath practitioners.

Thank you.

Hi, Malakai

Are you following a particular system or just doing kumbhaka? Also, for how long are you doing the pranayama and are you following it up with any meditation?

Typically one would start with a pranayama.. depending on the system that works from root to 3rd eye for instance. After one has become stable and really gone deep with that they then add to it with something like kumbhaka which is even more powerful. Before that there are changes in postures as well as additions like mulabandha and sambhavi that one adds before one would do kumbhaka. One would do the energy work anywhere from 5 - 15 then move on to meditation.

Again, depending on the tradition and the system of practices.

Adding some additional background would help others with your question.

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malakai said:

Greetings,

I have been doing daily pranayama with an emphasis on kumbhaka for about 2 months now.

During the kumbhaka I perform mula bandha for 30 seconds, along with some tension by the navel.

I've found that the contractions have become more subtle compared to when training started.

The urge to breathe has lately become more of a decision based on how the overall body feels, compared to feeling forced to breathe earlier on from what used to be more violent contractions.

Since adding mula bandha a couple weeks ago, I'm quite often aware of a warmth by my coccyx.

Usually I don't feel it during the practice, but later when sitting on bed I can feel the warmth.

I see on this forum a lot mentioned about qi gong. But it seems that the Indian method is simply to let the breath

My goal is to purify all nadis and to reach absorption in the central channel. While I've experienced the warmth by the coccyx, the energy has yet to shoot up. Is this only a matter of time? Should I incorporate other exercises that help with reaching the central channel?

During the inhalation phase in every round of pranayama, I do imagine pulling/guiding the energy from the root, past the coccyx, up the spine and over the skull towards the third eye. I practice chastity.

I know that patience is needed. The adaptation of the system takes time. But I would very appreciate any advice, perhaps from people experienced in mula bandha / tummo / long term breath practitioners.

Thank you.

Don't know where you're located but Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is offering a retreat in Virginia on Tummo this summer.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jonesboy said:

Hi, Malakai

Are you following a particular system or just doing kumbhaka? Also, for how long are you doing the pranayama and are you following it up with any meditation?

Typically one would start with a pranayama.. depending on the system that works from root to 3rd eye for instance. After one has become stable and really gone deep with that they then add to it with something like kumbhaka which is even more powerful. Before that there are changes in postures as well as additions like mulabandha and sambhavi that one adds before one would do kumbhaka. One would do the energy work anywhere from 5 - 15 then move on to meditation.

Again, depending on the tradition and the system of practices.

Adding some additional background would help others with your question.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your kind reply.

What I'm doing is mostly Tummo inspired. The technique is from the book "The Bliss of Inner Fire".

I practice this exercise about an hour a day, as I have quite some free time at my disposal.

Does anyone think it's too much?

I consider the practice itself also a meditation. But I don't sit in silence without a technique afterwards.

Would this be a missed opportunity?

And Steve, thank you for your suggestion. I am in Europe unfortunately ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malakai said:

He often teaches in Europe and other Bönpo masters are in Europe.

It seems they sometimes teach similar topics in a timely fashion.

If I see anything come up in Europe, I'll post here.

8 hours ago, malakai said:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your kind reply.

What I'm doing is mostly Tummo inspired. The technique is from the book "The Bliss of Inner Fire".

I practice this exercise about an hour a day, as I have quite some free time at my disposal.

Does anyone think it's too much?

I consider the practice itself also a meditation. But I don't sit in silence without a technique afterwards.

Would this be a missed opportunity?

Hi Malakai,

I have never practiced tummo so it would be wrong for me to offer any advice with the practice.

On 3/15/2018 at 8:36 AM, malakai said:

Greetings,

Thank you.

Hi Malakai,

I do not know how to say this without coming across as rude, but I do not believe that you are really ready yet for a practice like tummo. Tummo is historically a completion stage practice that one starts after they have learned to fully quiet their mind. It is in that still mental state than one more notices the energy flows at a conscious level. I would suggest that you focus some more on preliminary Buddhist practices, or mantra based mind Hindu practices for a while first.

Again, I apologize if I have overstepped.

Best,

Jeff

Sign in to follow this