Sign in to follow this  
stovepipe

Thought experiment to bring the Truth out?

I sometimes struggle with decision making. I understand that dilemmas are illusions, if there is a dilemma, it's because there isn't enough faith in the way. What are some ways to differentiate protective options (the ones you're considering because of fear) from the one true way for you (the Truth)? 

I was thinking about saying out loud a sentence like “If I were to die today, I would know without any doubt that the right decision is XYZ.” 

Is there any other technique you may know of (visualization? self hypnosis? etc)

Here's one.  Pretend you've got a friend, a pen pal.  You know all about him, his strengths and weaknesses.  A nice guy, you know his history.. he writes you with the problem.  Take your time, write back what you think he should do.  Literally write it, freehand or type.  It slows you down a little and hopefully gets a little deeper into your subconscious.

Doing this takes the 'I' out of the equation and may give a little more clarity or toughness to the answer.   Cause this isn't to just anyone, this is to a friend much like yourself.  What they can and should do. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think you may be overthinking it.

Go with your gut; what feels right.

Trust yourself !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO if you bypass your self protective instincts , you will undermine your trust in yourself.

.....Wouldn't you ? Doesn't that make sense?

Instead , perhaps it would be reasonable to examine the roots of whether the decisions are really important , whether they really are ones that can be predictably relied upon for specific results. 

I can tell you without any doubt whatsoever , that there is indeed reasonable doubt in just about everything. The future is gray and unformed . In this realm of uncertainty you have freedom. For to have certainty you would be existing enchained. 

The problem IMO is not your doubts , but your misled desire for certainty , and that thinking that there is a clear right and wrong that one is supposed to fulfill.

Over time , Train yourself to accept doubt,  and move forward anyway,  in the most secure fashion that is in fact reasonable.

THEN you will be enacting the truth of you.

Along that route you will screw up , and then the task , is to forgive yourself,  by virtue of your innocence. 

But that's just my humble opinion , it's for you to judge , because its your lot and consequences. 

Lot's of great advice above! Although I don't have anything more to add, since this is a Taoist forum I thought I would mention that some Taoist lineages contain a whole slew of problem solving practices. 

The problem solving methods in the lineage I am familiar with are called Zhi Neng Fa (Wisdom Ability Methods). And they are a lot of fun. Unfortunately you need to be a practitioner with a decent foundation before they work. So I guess put the work in (if you haven't already) and find a teacher who will share. But, yeah, no help for you today. Good luck!

You've got to realize that the truth is the first thing on your mind, and that you have to go out of your way to lie.. so meditate on this prima facie principle.. a priori examination and such!

On 3/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, stovepipe said:

I was thinking about saying out loud a sentence like “If I were to die today, I would know without any doubt that the right decision is XYZ.” 

The one I did with an open heart, with no expectation of selfish gain.

• Like 1

If the choice is between feeding your ego or feeding your life then the choice should be clear.  Want a Ferrari - feeds your ego, want my chi kung - feeds your life.

Get really, really, really tired. Stay awake for 48 hours. Your responses to life will be very honest. The true you will come out under such conditions. The same is true for very hungry, or great pain. Environmental harshness encourages truth.

3 hours ago, Boundlesscostfairy said:

So your saying fashion plays no part of life?

Not really.  We artist appreciate all kinds of art, don't we?  The devil is in the details.  For example if I got a Ferrari it would because I know how to drive the fuck out of it and I would really use it for driving fun (easy to get away with here in Ecuador, not so much in the US.) and the love of and knowledge enough to appreciate real fine machinery on wheels, which is not ego; but if some bozo who doesn't really know the finer points of the art of driving or of fine machinery gets one they are just doing it for the name and to show off, that is ego.

5 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Not really.  We artist appreciate all kinds of art, don't we?  The devil is in the details.  For example if I got a Ferrari it would because I know how to drive the fuck out of it and I would really use it for driving fun (easy to get away with here in Ecuador, not so much in the US.) and the love of and knowledge enough to appreciate real fine machinery on wheels, which is not ego; but if some bozo who doesn't really know the finer points of the art of driving or of fine machinery gets one they are just doing it for the name and to show off, that is ego.

Well if we go through the animal kingdom.. most animals makes signs to show off their potency to the females..

Are you saying these animals are egotistical?

I'll go ahead and make the case for it, as far as anyone can tell animals are rather self centered. What is of interest to them is mainly themselves and if showing ones wares , is what brings in the chicks .. ya give it a go.  However in humans , one is supposed to have concern for others beyond pure personal gain , have values which center upon more core issues, like role , and commitment. Since,,  

In humans these traits are relatively more important because of the long length of childhood dependency , need for social cohesion , and the capacity for empathy.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stosh said:

I'll go ahead and make the case for it, as far as anyone can tell animals are rather self centered. What is of interest to them is mainly themselves and if showing ones wares , is what brings in the chicks .. ya give it a go.  However in humans , one is supposed to have concern for others beyond pure personal gain , have values which center upon more core issues, like role , and commitment.

Good, key phrase there is 'supposed to'.  It appears that what really happens amuch of the time is that a lot of things people do with social interactions, which definitely includes the mating game, is they will act/react subconsciuosly and instinctively, and then their minds will create the reasons or excuses after the fact.  I think that those who have progressed in no mind meditation will take more time to actually ponder their reactions before committing them ... sometimes.  Which is maybe an aspect of wu wei.  The other side of that coin is they go ahead with their instinctive 'reaction' right away but then they do not create reasons or excuses after the fact, the mind stays quiet and they see where the cards fall (another aspect of wu wei).

Or something ...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Boundlesscostfairy said:

Ultimately I think we are just like animals except with greater intellect..

Ya, and the funny thing about intellect is that it appears to have come about as part of the mating game.  You know, flattery, BS, poetry, music.  Researchers who study evolution assert that when any part of an animal is bigger than it needs to be for survival it is because it is used as a show off mechanism in the mating game.  So what parts of humans are bigger than they need to be for survival?  :rolleyes:

Brains, Boobs, and weenuses.

Hmmm, youve got a very good point..

I wonder if the reasons why we get entertained by things are all because of natural selection, survival of the fittest and evolution in general.. mating games, the selfish gene, memes and DNA..

• Like 1

Like we should break down.. why we are even here posting on this forum? Like the real reasons why we find intellectual stimulation from the things we do..?

Maybe a bit of survival of the fittest as well..?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this