wenwu

Relationship to food

Hello

I am not far off finishing a 3 day fast. It has been an interesting experience but I can't wait for it to be over :)

I have been thinking about food for the last day or so. I haven't really been having much in the way of cravings overall, mainly been thinking of the relationship people have to food

I do quite a bit of heavy weight training and when my friend started at the gym I told him his relationship to food would likely change. It wouldn't be a social pleasureable thing any long but he would view it like a fuel. 

Other people would view food in a different way I guess depending on their lifestyle and habits.

So...

What does food mean to you? 

Some answers I have heard or used before

A need

A fuel

An addiction

A comfort

A pleasure

An indulgence 

A medicine

• Like 7

6 hours ago, wenwu said:

What does food mean to you? 

Some answers I have heard or used before

A need

A fuel

An addiction

A comfort

A pleasure

An indulgence 

A medicine

All of the above, depending on the circumstance, and what I am going to eat.

I would also add that food can be healing.

• Like 4

Fasting definitely changes your relationship with craving. Returning the hunger/satiety response to a balanced state is foundational, IME, to eliminating excess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Including more healthy fat in my diet has shifted the balance of some of those factors for me... less craving, less need, less intense over food... longer burning fuel... ^_^

• Like 3

I'll add a few points -- food can also be viewed in the social context, as

part of cultural identity

unifier 

divider

a medium of self-expression (especially if you cook)

art

the way to someone's heart

poison

killer

religion

passion

weapon of mass destruction

path to salvation

a boring chore

eye-opener

disappointment

evolutionary dead-end

the great deception

a revelation

consciousness manipulator/extinguisher

and more...

That might be part of the reason so many people swear by fasts.  Fasting not only removes the physical food from the picture -- it removes millennia's worth of complexities from an individual unconscious intertwined with the collective unconscious and gives all those ontogenic and phylogenic memories a rest, thereby lightening not just the body but also the mind.  Then again, the collective phylogenic memory of countless famines and chronic (lifelong) mass-scale under-eating throughout our agricultural history might be an unconscious fasting deterrent for many...  even though "feast then fast" was the regular business-as-usual way we lived for countless ages before agriculture.

• Like 5

"Food" is a condensed form of the overall Environment that we consume in an interface wherein that external and our internal environments make balance and become One "again".

Explaining the "again" part: This is due to the illusion of our existence as somehow separate from our Environment.

In this way, we are a manifestation of our Environment and there is no actual "difference" between these.

Modern way is to wreck this relationship in every way - physical, psychological, and so on, until humans are dependent on proprietary synthetic technology and cannot integrate with their source directly.

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by vonkrankenhaus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wenwu said:

A need

A fuel

An addiction

A comfort

A pleasure

An indulgence 

A medicine

All of these. But I am working on passing on moods that make me want to binge or eat for indulgence etc.

Fasting always makes me enjoy meals much more. Happy breaking of the fast!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rara said:

Fasting always makes me enjoy meals much more. Happy breaking of the fast!

Ah yeah food tastes wonderful today... trying to control myself, not to eat everything 

• Like 1