Eric Woon

DDC Chapter 6: 谷神不死是谓玄牝。

12 minutes ago, Eric Woon said:

You are really great. Thank you very much. 

Btw, this late Ming Dynasty literature was written in vernacular Chinese. Perhaps, I may have to qualify my earlier statement. The vernacular Chinese written form was formally adopted as the national Chinese language or Putonghua in1920.

Or let's put it this way. 

1) This literature has the common people s its audience. Just like any books that we red today, the audience are the common folks.

2) Among the government officials and formal communications, the government officials, demands crispy short writings. This is akin to  CEO nowadays, who is very busy whole day long, demands  one-page summary for every report.  

3) Today, there is something called "An elevator pitch". This selling pitch must be completed in 7 seconds or less, before the elevator door opens, and the targeted venture capitalist walk past you.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Woon said:

Btw, this late Ming Dynasty literature was written in vernacular Chinese. Perhaps, I may have to qualify my earlier statement. The vernacular Chinese written form was formally adopted as the national Chinese language or Putonghua in1920.

Or let's put it this way. 

1) This literature has the common people s its audience. Just like any books that we red today, the audience are the common folks.

2) Among the government officials and formal communications, the government officials, demands crispy short writings. This is akin to  CEO nowadays, who is very busy whole day long, demands  one-page summary for every report.  

3) Today, there is something called "An elevator pitch". This selling pitch must be completed in 7 seconds or less, before the elevator door opens, and the targeted venture capitalist walk past you.   

Did you say  your book was  Already in print or available?  I am a bit curious about whether the earliest versions are written in vernacular Chinese , or whether it can be shown to be formal. 

12 hours ago, Stosh said:

Did you say  your book was  Already in print or available?  I am a bit curious about whether the earliest versions are written in vernacular Chinese , or whether it can be shown to be formal. 

A) To bridge the gap between the classical Chinese (as old as 2500 years old) and modern vernacular Chinese, I added 745 footnotes. This shall ensure the modern Chinese readers can understand every single proverbs, phrases or some old characters which I used (really, out of no choice) by referring to the explanation given in the footnotes. Thread below tells it all, what I meant by no choice.

B) No! Not published yet. I m facing five minor problems. 

1) I have to get my Chinese translations proofread. Finally, I hired a Chinese lady from Beijing to proofread it. She just completed the first round of proofreading two weeks ago. I incorporated most of her suggestions and returned to her the corrected manuscript last weekend. She has to carry out a second time, final proofreading.

2) From her suggestions given in first proofreading, I am reviewing my original English translation, now. I am incorporating these minor changes. By tomorrow, it should be done. Next, I have to get a close buddy who is an author himself, to carry out the final proofreading.

3) To print in China (cheapest, of course) I must get a letter of approval from the Chinese government. Otherwise, no printer in China dares to print any book related to DaoDeJing, because it is considered the most Holy Scripture in China.

4) Well, the next best destination is to get a printer in Malaysia. It's cost of production is quite close to the printing cost in China. To me, it could be cheaper, after taking into considerations of the logistics, say, shipping the books from China to Singapore is not cheap.

5) I am the author, the publisher and distributor, all in one, at this juncture, for all my thirteen books.

Note: Perhaps some of you might be interested to partake in one of these activities. You are most welcome.  Well, this is not soliciting for business. You might be strictly doing it for you own group of friends or fans.  

Edited by Eric Woon
Insett a url

On 3/29/2018 at 8:54 PM, Limahong said:

Listen with your heart.

"Oo, Ooo, Oooodee."  No books needed to translate that part :P 

Hugz,

Ninny

Image result for ninny goat 

2 hours ago, Nintendao said:

"Oo, Ooo, Oooodee."

Hi Nintedo,

Obladi oblada.

A great Easter weekend.

- LimA

On 3/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, Nintendao said:

a womb of infinite possibilities swirling in the mists.

Hi Nintendao,

From very womb comes new lives and living.

when-a-woman-gives-birth-two-are-born-a-baby-from-the-womb-of-its-mother-and-a-woman-from-the-womb-quote-1.jpg

d13a58885d1a644f4bd5a79b9d371e3b.jpg

i-believe-in-the-sanctity-of-human-life-from-the-womb-to-the-tomb-quote-1.jpg

even-in-the-womb-of-the-mother-you-will-suffer-to-remain-in-that-compact-bag-for-so-many-months-hands-and-bags-all-tied-up-unable-to-move-this-is-suffering.jpg

i-keep-wanting-to-crawl-back-into-the-womb-quote-1.jpg

Inspirational-Quote-Every-Child.jpg

699727778-quote-Maya-Rudolph-i-have-an-equal-opportunity-womb-211182.png

967496.png

4a601669ac6946899484c130e4de7170.jpg

th?id=OIP.OF5HvBgQ3exoQ0UftU1H8wD3D8&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

there-is-productivity-and-personality-in-every-womans-womb-her-choice-of-sexuality-relationship-and-creativity-determines-her-all-round-success.jpg

158150350-4898e278097d64140868a1c796ab3ef9.jpg

- LimA

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 10:07 PM, Eric Woon said:

A) To bridge the gap between the classical Chinese (as old as 2500 years old) and modern vernacular Chinese, I added 745 footnotes. This shall ensure the modern Chinese readers can understand every single proverbs, phrases or some old characters which I used (really, out of no choice) by referring to the explanation given in the footnotes. Thread below tells it all, what I meant by no choice.

B) No! Not published yet. I m facing five minor problems. 

1) I have to get my Chinese translations proofread. Finally, I hired a Chinese lady from Beijing to proofread it. She just completed the first round of proofreading two weeks ago. I incorporated most of her suggestions and returned to her the corrected manuscript last weekend. She has to carry out a second time, final proofreading.

2) From her suggestions given in first proofreading, I am reviewing my original English translation, now. I am incorporating these minor changes. By tomorrow, it should be done. Next, I have to get a close buddy who is an author himself, to carry out the final proofreading.

3) To print in China (cheapest, of course) I must get a letter of approval from the Chinese government. Otherwise, no printer in China dares to print any book related to DaoDeJing, because it is considered the most Holy Scripture in China.

4) Well, the next best destination is to get a printer in Malaysia. It's cost of production is quite close to the printing cost in China. To me, it could be cheaper, after taking into considerations of the logistics, say, shipping the books from China to Singapore is not cheap.

5) I am the author, the publisher and distributor, all in one, at this juncture, for all my thirteen books.

Note: Perhaps some of you might be interested to partake in one of these activities. You are most welcome.  Well, this is not soliciting for business. You might be strictly doing it for you own group of friends or fans.  

Crazy world,.. I , here,  can download in a few minutes a hundred translations of Chapter one. What qualifies someone else to critique- proofread what you wrote? and why would you , or anyone , want to print in a hostile printing environment ? 

I couldn't help you in any way that I know of , though I was wondering who your target audience would be. Scholars?

Edited by Stosh

On 3/31/2018 at 10:37 PM, Nintendao said:

"Oo, Ooo, Oooodee."  No books needed to translate that part

Hi Nintendao,

Another called from The Valley -

Ah-de-do, ah-de-do-da-day,
Ah-de-do, ah-de-da-day...

Any books needed to translate?

- LimA

17 hours ago, Stosh said:

Crazy world,.. I , here,  can download in a few minutes a hundred translations of Chapter one. What qualifies someone else to critique- proofread what you wrote? and why would you , or anyone , want to print in a hostile printing environment ? 

I couldn't help you in any way that I know of , though I was wondering who your target audience would be. Scholars?

I am the crazy fellow. I am a perfectionist. I am doing a mission. I am not doing something for money or fame. I cannot let down what Lao Zi actually want to share with the world. The world can be what it wants to be. But I can't. I know what is my mission.

China is not a hostile environment. It has its long history (beginning from the Eastern Han Dynasty) where almost every later dynasties were brought down by the rise of rebels, mostly started by some one who misused religion to rope in hundred of thousands of rebel fairly quickly. Two decades ago, the Falungong founder, a Mr. Li tried to use the same trick by borrowing some phrases from the Bible and went to create a huge mass of followers. Be patient. Slow and steady win the race.

Of course, the audience are the mainland Chinese for the original Chinese version. The audience for the English version are outside mainland China.       

• Like 2

On 4/3/2018 at 6:27 AM, Limahong said:

Ah-de-do, ah-de-do-da-day,
Ah-de-do, ah-de-da-day...

There is another dimension to these words. A beautiful tune, sung from a full heart. Had we not the benefit of fine recorded audio, I couldn't have made heads or tails of it. Likewise reading the scriptures, how can one know the spirit behind the words? The motivation of holy folks flows forth from the cosmos. Feel the cosmos within, and listen for the fine recorded echoes.

48 minutes ago, Nintendao said:

The motivation of holy folks flows forth from the cosmos. Feel the cosmos within, and listen for the fine recorded echoes.

Hi Nintendao,

Ultimately The Valley echoes in silence.

148f11e3fbaa579bedb0e3cd63f525bb--enjoy-the-silence-indie-music.jpg

bfaeaa61ac9a75f843b8d5f3e2e5b887.jpg

a123952ebb92cc55bf8ae6e5288d9616.jpg

- LimA

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Limahong said:

a123952ebb92cc55bf8ae6e5288d9616.jpg

- LimA

this picture actually makes me go "ahhh" inside my mind. Powerful stuff !

Chapter 1: last two sentences are此两者同出而异名,同谓之玄。玄之又玄,众妙之门。

Here is the translation.

[UC5]以上这两种心态同样是出于一颗好奇之心,二者仅有名称上的区别。[UC6a]这两种心态同样是叫做玄妙。两者一样很玄妙,不容易理解。世间众多奇巧的万物和趣的事情以及一切深奥玄妙的道,都是通过这种方式探索而得来的。

[UC5]These two (UC4a and UC4b) seemingly contrasting mentalities originate from the same mind, but merely carry different names. [UC6a]These two different mindsets are quite mysterious, or simply, not easy to apprehend; [UC6b]yet they are the fountains (or doors) from which all kinds of esoteric mysticism emerge and many novel, interesting and sophisticated objects have evolved from His explorative creation process.

Edited by Eric Woon
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 4:59 AM, Wuschel said:

and what means 玄 in the context of lao tzu's time?

Heaven

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Woon said:

Chapter 1: last two sentences are此两者同出而异名,同谓之玄。玄之又玄,众妙之门。

Here is the translation.

[UC5]以上这两种心态同样是出于一颗好奇之心,二者仅有名称上的区别。[UC6a]这两种心态同样是叫做玄妙。两者一样很玄妙,不容易理解。世间众多奇巧的万物和趣的事情以及一切深奥玄妙的道,都是通过这种方式探索而得来的。

[UC5]These two (UC4a and UC4b) seemingly contrasting mentalities originate from the same mind, but merely carry different names. [UC6a]These two different mindsets are quite mysterious, or simply, not easy to apprehend; [UC6b]yet they are the fountains (or doors) from which all kinds of esoteric mysticism emerge and many novel, interesting and sophisticated objects have evolved from His explorative creation process.

Don't remember where I saw it, the close word may be "enigma". As usual one has to be careful in checking the context where the words is used and what was written before in this chapter. For some this is the first chapter for others it is not depending the commentaries.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:06 AM, Mig said:

Don't remember where I saw it, the close word may be "enigma". As usual one has to be careful in checking the context where the words is used and what was written before in this chapter. For some this is the first chapter for others it is not depending the commentaries.

enigma?

"not easy to apprehend" should be a better word. The reason being I had translated the first half. Really, it is not puzzling, therefore, not enigmatic.  

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:06 AM, Mig said:

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:16 AM, Taoist Texts said:

Heaven

玄 = "not easy to apprehend". Heaven is too far off-track.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 11:00 PM, Marblehead said:

I do refer to the Spirit of the Valley as being Feminine though as in my mind it is the place of rest.  Some people would call these places their Sanctuary.

Hi Dada-da,

Remember-the-entrance-door-to-the-sanctuary-is-inside-you..jpg

you-are-my-sanctuary-my-home-my-love-lovable-quote.jpg

1eb4910e972c65eb76fe9e6b618e1a14.jpg

like-those-in-the-valley-behind-us-most-people-stand-in-sight-of-the-spiritual-mountains-all-their-lives-and-never-enter-them-being-content-to-listen-to-others-who-have-been-there-and.jpg

a-valley-that-offers-true-solitude-can-provide-an-exhilarating-experience-for-the-soul-just-dont-go-quote-1.jpg

Nature-is-my-religion.jpg

ab5d2579d42acd7215844cd67d5760c1.jpg

782860593-the-goal-of-life-is-to-make-your-heartbeat.jpg

- LimA

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, Taoist Texts said:

a nose must be even further)

玄,天也,于人为鼻。牝,地也,于人为口。

https://ctext.org/heshanggong/6/ens

Let me copy down the entire texts. 谷神不死,谷,养也。人能养神则不死也。神,谓五脏之神也。肝藏魂,肺藏魄,心藏神,肾藏精,脾藏志,五藏尽伤,则五神去矣。是谓玄牝。言不死之有,在于玄牝。玄,天也,于人为鼻。牝,地也,于人为口。天食人以五气,从鼻入藏于心。五气轻微,为精、神、聪、明、音声五性。其鬼曰魂,魂者雄也,主出入于人鼻,与天通,故鼻为玄也。地食人以五味,从口入藏于胃。五味浊辱,为形、骸、骨、肉、血、脉六情。其鬼曰魄,魄者雌也,主出入于人口,与地通,故口为牝也。玄牝之门,是谓天地根。根,元也。言鼻口之门,是乃通天地之元气所从往来也。绵绵若存,鼻口呼噏喘息,当绵绵微妙,若可存,复若无有。用之不勤。用气当宽舒,不当急疾勤劳也。

Yes, this is Heshangggong version of explanation.Heshanggong (Riverside Sage), who is said to have lived during the reign of Emperor Wen of Han (180–157 BC). He is 600+ years younger than Kongzi. About 700 years younger than Lao Zi. Throughout these years, the actual meaning of DDJ which was transmit by word of mouth (from teacher to pupils) might have lost it true meaning.

If you were to read carefully, he is describing this chapter in a very narrow sense. That is something that got to do with our human organs. well. What was Heshanggong understanding of DDJ theme. In actual fact, did he know what was Lao Zi's theme when he wrote DDJ. Based on his explanation of this chapter, I suspect Heshanggong does not carry a particular theme in his mind.     

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 10:44 AM, Marblehead said:

I still hold that the creative force is feminine,  "... gave birth to ...".

Good morning Dada-da,

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers who "... gave birth to ...".

motherhood-quote.jpg

il_fullxfull.966847592_31j8.jpg

- LimA

• Like 3

On 3/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, Nintendao said:

I always thought 谷神 as a spirit in a valley, but now also i see the spirit with a mind expansive as the valley, a womb of infinite possibilities swirling in the mists.

Hi Nintendao,

I am taken aback this morning when you have responded to my post in reply to yours on 27 March 2018 ~ now almost two years on. You have responded alongside Jim (Marblehead).

Can your response today perhaps be descriptive of TDB as a forum where its members can have...

(a) a mind ~ expansive as the valley

(b) a womb ~ of infinite possibilities swirling in the mists...?

If so, are (a) and (b) reflective of...

ying-yang-colorful-mosaic-animated-gif.gif

Thank you for catalyzing this post.

- Anand

• Like 1