Sign in to follow this  
BlueToy

Hallo Wald

Which is my lame wordplay on "Hello world". Have lurked here on and off for a couple of years now. Looking forward to reading posts and articles here. I'm interested in reading about "crossovers" between Western and Eastern philosophies (among other things), like, say, how Crowley attempted to incorporate different systems into his tarot deck. Something like that. Or maybe not. :)

• Like 2

Hello, BlueToy and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi BlueToy,

As to "crossovers", I do my thing with Chuang Tzu and Nietzsche.  Not directly but indirectly.  And I have never seen one indicator that Nietzsche ever read anything Daoist.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

9 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Thanks for the welcome. That is an interesting combination! I myself am trying to look for syncretic evidence on crossovers between Taoism and Buddhism (well, really, more on the Five Phases and the Four Elements)...

• Like 1

Actually, IMO, between Buddhism and Taoism is pretty easy.  After all, Taoist religion is pretty much based in Buddhism.

I don't do the Fives or Fours.  Or the Threes either.

Specifically, I can't seem to find crossovers relating the four celestial beasts (of Taoist cosmology) to the four elements (which Buddhism uses) :-/. I would have thought there'd be at least something historically (because of interactions between the two systems). There is of course fiction, which is nice and great in its own creative way, like how several anime used the four beasts on the elements (there is this tendency to relate earth to the black tortoise though). Anyway I am both rambling and grasping for words (what a weird combination!), but will certainly post more about it in the forums when I am more coherent. :D

• Like 1

Yeah, you are about to tread into territory I have never ventured onto.  I do know that there are a few members here who can talk with you about that stuff.  You should find a good sub-forum/thread to post your questions/comments to so that those with knowledge of your interests will see your posts.  There is limited viewing of these Welcome posts.

Sign in to follow this