Miroku

Tea Appreciation Study Group

Hi!

I have been thinking about creating this thread for some time now. I think it would be nice if we could share our knowledge and insight into the art of tea making here. Be it drinking tea and its health effects, effects on chi, effects on our mind, personality or anything. Really anything. Also good place to ask questions about tea, or just share stories of tea appreciation.

I hope it catches on.

• Like 2

I think it would be nice of me to start.

My story of tea appreciation is following: I have been drinking and loving tea for about 10 years now. I began around my 14th year I think with cheap black teas and slowly worked my way up. Tea was something that went with me through the years and although I neglected it often, it was always nice to go back to it. My first loose leaf tea was given to me by my dad. Nowadays I know it was just some basic Ceylon black tea blend, but it made me happy and actually I still prefer cheaper black teas for some reason. Nowadays when I have given up alcohol, which brought to many dark places over the years, I am drinking tea in my so far most stressful year as I try to finish my studies. It helps me keep a distance and relax a bit.

I used to be really rigid when it came to my tea, I used timers and measure the temperature and everything, only to give it up and just sor of go with what feels right nowadays. It can be said I am more of a freestyle tea maker now.

What are you stories?

Also I have heard about many qualities of tea and its effects on chi and warming and cooling, would anyone care to expand on that? 

• Like 4

I gave up coffee two years ago and have been drinking matcha every morning since. I've recently taken a liking toward Oolong teas midday

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rakiel said:

I gave up coffee two years ago and have been drinking matcha every morning since. I've recently taken a liking toward Oolong teas midday

What lead you to giving up coffee? Do you have some favourite oolong?

Good quality Matcha is great! :) i havent had matcha in a year or so , it can be pretty expensive for a little packet. 

Lately have just been drinking puerh's and high mountain oolongs. I like puerh especially for it's benefits to the digestion, especially if you've eaten a meal with too much oil and you are feeling a little heavy. Raw puerh i have been drinking the most lately, but i love ripe just as much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seatle185 said:

Good quality Matcha is great! :) i havent had matcha in a year or so , it can be pretty expensive for a little packet. 

Lately have just been drinking puerh's and high mountain oolongs. I like puerh especially for it's benefits to the digestion, especially if you've eaten a meal with too much oil and you are feeling a little heavy. Raw puerh i have been drinking the most lately, but i love ripe just as much.

Have you noticed some difference between puerhs and oolongs? I don't mean like taste :D but more of an effect on body and etc.
Lately I am also enjoying oolongs, but mostly cheap ones and must say they might be my most favourite tea to drink regularly right after regular black tea.

3 hours ago, Miroku said:

What lead you to giving up coffee? Do you have some favourite oolong?

The health benefits mostly, and I wanted to deepen my meditation practice. I also didn't like the buzz coffee gave me in the mornings.

as for Oolongs, I normally just by some of the varieties available from Rishi Tea like jade oolong or iron goddess of mercy but i plan on expanding that very soon

Edited by Rakiel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Miroku said:

Have you noticed some difference between puerhs and oolongs?

I love the taste of the high altitude oolongs. I Have tried some of the cheap ones too and they arent too bad. Overall they have more a stimulating effect to me, its hard to sleep if i have cups too close to sleep time. while the puerh' especially raw have a unique  buzz, really relaxed but focused & stimulated. Oolongs and greens have more of a cooling effect on my body and i like them in the hot months, and puerh always warms me up in the colder ones. :)

• Like 3

Cool thread idea! :)

I started loving teas only about 3 years ago. Personally I love green teas and Matcha, but only recently started to explore Pu-erh teas. Haven't tried Oolongs yet but will.

Also I like to drink Guayusa tea - it is said to help open the pineal gland, or decalcify it. It was used by shamans to stay awake and alert during night watches.

• Like 3

I mostly drink green tea both natural & jasmine varieties. Nothing fancy, just Gunpowder Green that costs something like $15/kilo. Usually drink a light steep of jasmine before bed. 

I use an electric kettle & let the water become completely still before pouring it over a tea strainer in my cup then brew until it feels right, I imagine it's a couple minutes. Intuitively learning tea brewing is a fun adventure, which can be repeated with new teas. I never got into exact temperatures & brewing times, ruins the experience for me with all the calculating & worry. 

I prefer the second brew from the leaves over the first, it's less coarse, but happily drink both. I do have an everyman's oolong that I drink occasionally & enjoy. I would like to try some puerh eventually. 

I drank coffee & energy drinks at one time but coffee's very heavy & both are shocking to the system compared to teas. Green tea in particular is lightly invigorating with a subtilizing effect. 

• Like 1