Ian

Annoying people

We interrupt this Taoism for a public service announcement.

If someone is really annoying, negative and arrogant, and doesn't offer constructive or friendly advice or share their experience,

please please please JUST IGNORE THEM.

Don't tell them what's wrong with them, don't discuss them with others. This is what they want and it makes them post more.

Just act as if their post isn't there. Move on. Even if it's you they're being negative about. I know, it's not easy, but it's the only thing that works. This is what Cat meant when she said "Don't feed the trolls."

The constructive members of the forum need to unite in this. It only needs a little bit of feedback to keep a troll going, but if we all just ignore them, they will disappear surprisingly soon.

Resist, the temptation to be clever, cutting or superior. That's what they do. It doesn't help. They take it as a challenge.

Think before you click, humans.

Thank you for your attention. Please return to what you were doing.

I find I need the ignore function to do this with any consistancy, and since I often use a public library computer walking to/from work I don't always have that function on when I'm here...

Also, the self control needed not to address trolls may actually be beyond my generally quarallsome nature... :angry:B):rolleyes:

Still, advice taken and apt to be acted upon ...

Thanx for the reminder Ian-!

If someone is really annoying, negative and arrogant, and doesn't offer constructive or friendly advice or share their experience,

please please please JUST IGNORE THEM.

And what should you do if you don't find someone annoying, but everybody else does?

If you keep on speaking with that person you will be viewed as feeding the troll.

But if you don't you will make a wrong to your own heart, which just wanted to touch that person as well.

You get what I mean?

And what should you do if you don't find someone annoying, but everybody else does?

If you keep on speaking with that person you will be viewed as feeding the troll.

But if you don't you will make a wrong to your own heart, which just wanted to touch that person as well.

You get what I mean?

Well... you could try sending them a private message... :D

I know you hate imposed rules, but I'm sure in many cases there will be a consensus as to who is "untouchable"... Anyway, up to you, I have no authority...

Well... you could try sending them a private message... :D

I know you hate imposed rules, but I'm sure in many cases there will be a consensus as to who is "untouchable"... Anyway, up to you, I have no authority...

Hello Ian, is not related with imposing rules, it is more that cutting away someone feels always as cutting away part of my soul. :(

And, no, sending a PM is out of the question too. Apart the fact that I don't send PM even between friends (how many have I sent you in those years?), but I simply find that to be even more ghettoing? (making someone feel he is in a Ghetto).

Something like saying:

I would like to speak with you, :o but they would all look at me bad if I do, so I will only do it secretly.

So, sorry but I will not participate in your We B)B)B) vs Them :blink::blink: game.

I will, as much as I can, try to reach out.

As disrupting as this might be/feel to you.

Troll or Friend, decide.

Ian's words are still cojent.

Do as your heart leads

Just my opinion

Haiku infecting my posts

Who is troll or friend?

Craig

This is what Cat meant when she said "Don't feed the trolls."

Good reminder Ian.

Obviously it's a free world (forum) and it's up to each person to make their own decisions, employ their own discernment.

Must.....not....type.......

:lol:

While I totally agree that conflict generates further prickly karma that just adds to the morass, it sometimes is the only clear path.

True about trolls, but only if whoever holds the finger on the forum membership demolition button can differentiate between a troll and an abuser. Trolls disrupt forum discussions; while abusers disrupt -- or at least try very hard to -- disrupt real live people, not some online abstractions. If the chosen target is sensitive enough, which is always a possibility, they can get what they're after regardless of whether you ignore them or not. Moreover, everybody who witnesses such an episode and "ignores" it strikes me as less than wise -- more like cowardly. It doesn't take much guts to hide one's head in the sand when witnessing someone else being hurt, methinks.

I am sure a few of our resident Buddha-natures are sturdy and confident enough to withstand such an attack with no scratches to their "ego," but I'm also sure that sweeping all self-esteem and dignity anyone might expect to retain among fellow humans under the blanket definition of "ego" and treating "it" as an irrelevance is hypocritical and in most cases works best when the "ego" under destruction is someone else's.

Not to suggest a course of action or anything, but to share my own experience as a forum admin: something like that can be happening where I hold the finger on the demolition button for only as long as it takes me to reach the button. No questions asked, no hard feelings exchanged. Gone with the wind.

Which is why no one ever abuses anyone there, and buddhahood is not a prerequisite for participation.

to me taomeow IS beautiful queen latifa so..but even that puts me on thin ice

because i think it an insult or better

shows to go a lesser grade of virtue to judge a woman by her looks inside or out

in this case, virtual looks. stupid.

who put who on ignore is really freakin me out cause i am a troll and gifted at

morphing threads..

i was mighty relieved reading pietros post

allrightythen.

"the owl is not always what it seems"

Edited by rain

Rain,

I see your beaty too! and get a kick out of your puns

a lesser grade of virtue to judge a woman by her looks inside or out

in this case, virtual looks. stupid.

LOL!

By the way, practicing some of the authentic taoist virtues does include beauty as a mere "side effect" of cultivating the Triple Treasure of Perfection, Nondecay, Immortality. So a taoist cultivator is held to a higher standard in this respect than someone who would be judged (but shouldn't be, of course) on the basis of some general, non-taoist values. My taiji teacher, e.g., proudly related an episode from his career where a woman came to him seeking instruction, who was the daughter and student of one of the foremost masters in East Asia. Upon her arrival, she "reviewed" all the top taiji teachers in the area of her reach and turned them all down, so my teacher asked her, "why me?" She explained that his wrists were shaped correctly. I didn't get it when he first told the story, I got it a year later. If someone handles qi the right way, the bones will be rounded, not flattened, and very finely defined, not 'approximate' but exceptionally detailed, chiseled. Very beautiful, but like I said, it's a "side effect" -- though a telltale sign to a sharp eye.

The one that annoys

And disturbs you most of all

Call that one 'teacher'

;)

Castaneda's Don Juan used to call this kind of teacher a "petty tyrant" and indeed thought such a person valuable in one's life. Kind of like a training course before dealing with the "great tyrant" -- reality itself.

I have a Yaqui Indian friend though, a grandson of a bruja, who asserts Castaneda had a very vivid imagination... :unsure:

Wow, this is clearly a deeper topic than I thought!

I naively imagined that what I posted was pretty much universal common sense. Live and learn!

So, let me rephrase myself accordingly.

IF someone is really irritating you on a forum, and IF you don't feel there is any benefit to be gained for either of you by attempting constructive engagement, IF in short, you would just like them to go away, THEN, in that case, having a go at them won't help and will encourage then to hang around.

That's all, really. It was intended as technical advice, rather than a moral stance.

I'm very impressed by everyone's forebearance and inclusiveness. Hope I haven't given too much offence.

So if they come here trying to teach us, we'll damn well teach 'em straight back.

That'll teach 'em.

:lol: Out with 'dat troll-bashing-teaching-stick !!!

Hope I haven't given too much offence.

Haha I don't think any of the long term members here are likely to cause offence.

But everyone most seem to be showing a bit of "extra" understanding at the moment, which is nice after a few little flames here and there.

Hagar -

if yr A troll- Then I'm a hob-goblin...

:angry:

I must piss off scads of bums, & so what?

Often enough, Being "nice" is an insult to our shared humanity

and I say that with the fullest sense of humilty.

If we can respect ourselves and eachother then being nice is just so much fluff... :rolleyes:

Reality is tough enough without obfuscation and a facade of bs to wade throough, and you my cyber friend are always real and truthful and can even shine some real light on things around here

so if thats being a Troll stay with it bro.

B)