Daemon

A Path of the Light

15 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Most times no proof reading.

Hehehe.  That post was a good example.  I just read it again and noticed the typos.

12 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Most often I use the quote function when there have been other posts since the time of the post I want to respond to.

I don't want Joe to think that I'm responding to him when I really responding to Mike.

Plus when I have to quote in my text block I can check to make sure I am speaking to everything I wanted to speak to.

That second thing you noticed you have likely seen me doing.  I don't spend to much time thinking - I mostly respond spontaneously.  Most times no proof reading.

I would agree and I think context is useful when responding. As threads may move quickly, I think it can be helpful to not make the reader search endless past pages to find out what poster is even talking about. One may be directing a response to a specific person, but many may be reading the thread periodically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

Hehehe.  That post was a good example.  I just read it again and noticed the typos.

Exactly. How else would we know what I agreed with (or in other cases, disagreed with)?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

@Daemon

sounds like 

Matt Damon.

I've been curious about the following: why does someone who professes to be on a 'path of light' pick a screen name that means Demon?

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I asked that same question on March 2 but you never answered it ... aaand so I looked up daemon on the internet and found out that it does mean demon.

2 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

I asked that same question on March 2 but you never answered it ... aaand so I looked up daemon on the internet and found out that it does mean demon.

In the context of UNIX® systems, daemons are process that run in the background attending to various tasks without human intervention. In the general sense, daemon is an older form of the word demon. In the Unix System Administration Handbook, Evi Nemeth has this to say about daemons:

"Many people equate the word ``daemon'' with the word ``demon,'' implying some kind of Satanic connection between UNIX and the underworld. This is an egregious misunderstanding. ``Daemon'' is actually a much older form of ``demon''; daemons have no particular bias towards good or evil, but rather serve to help define a person's character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept of a ``personal daemon'' was similar to the modern concept of a ``guardian angel'' --- ``eudaemonia'' is the state of being helped or protected by a kindly spirit. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested with both daemons and demons." (p403)

https://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daemon said:

@Marblehead

So, why do do choose to refuse to type @Daemon instead of spamming me with duplicate posts, which I've told you make it more difficult for me to have a conversation with you?

The contradiction is that either you respond spontaneously, or you choose to respond more carefully. If you choose to respond more carefully then you could easily just use a text editor, almost as easily as you could type @Daemon if you could be bothered to take yourself off autopilot?

Peace,

☮️

I have never used "@Usename" in any of my posts.  If I see a need I will quote the post I am speaking to.

Why do you feel this urge to change others in order to please your self?  

Spamming?  You gotta' be shitting me.

There is no contradiction here.  I expressed the way I do things.  I'm not you.  I can't be like you.  I can't do what you want me to do.  Did you turn off your light?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

In the context of UNIX® systems, daemons are process that run in the background attending to various tasks without human intervention. In the general sense, daemon is an older form of the word demon. In the Unix System Administration Handbook, Evi Nemeth has this to say about daemons:

"Many people equate the word ``daemon'' with the word ``demon,'' implying some kind of Satanic connection between UNIX and the underworld. This is an egregious misunderstanding. ``Daemon'' is actually a much older form of ``demon''; daemons have no particular bias towards good or evil, but rather serve to help define a person's character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept of a ``personal daemon'' was similar to the modern concept of a ``guardian angel'' --- ``eudaemonia'' is the state of being helped or protected by a kindly spirit. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested with both daemons and demons." (p403)

https://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

That was a wonderful book that served me well in the formative initial years of my career :) 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Did you turn off your light?

Maybe staring too long at one's own torch makes one lose one's shite...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dwai said:

That was a wonderful book that served me well in the formative initial years of my career :) 

First unix system for me in 1979. Those were fun days...

• Like 2

what's that saying...?   "I'd never be a member of any group who'd have me as a member."

yup, that's it.  then again, there's only one group and it's made of light

no membership or application required or possible

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Daemon said:

@Marblehead

No, I'm not shitting you because I don't give a shit either way.

If you flip as easily as that and you can't be bothered to help me to read your "contributions" to this thread on the 4" screen that I use then that's merely illuminating (for me).

Peace,

☮️

Trying to put me on the defensive won't work.  Never has.  I will continue to be myself.  I don't have to be like you.

Hello @Daemon! :) I just saw this now because of moment's post and browsed through the first 2 pages but couldn't find the definition or more details about your path of light. Sorry it's hard for me to read through the whole thread. Could you care to expound what you mean by a path to light? And welcome to daobums! I'm also new here. What I've noticed is, there's value in using the personal practice journal in sharing your practices and thoughts. It's a great way to reflect and also possibly find people who might be drawn to your vibe or have a similar flow. Just my 2 cents.

love and peace!

• Thanks 2