dontknwmucboutanythng

Looking for mantra to ease anxiety/worry

Hello and welcome,

You can try the Buddhist mantra, "OM MANI PADME HUM" - which they say is the entire Buddha's teaching in 6 syllables.  It's called the Great Compassion Mantra, and if said with love in the heart, can surely help.

Another one you can try is "Om Nama Shivaya" which is the mantra for Lord Shiva, who is very powerful at breaking negative things like anxiety and worry.

These are two common mantras that can be repeated silently or out loud by any person, and can be very powerful if done with an open heart.

Good luck.

• Like 6

I don't use mantra's to calm myself.  For that I walk, slowly, meditatively.  Keep attention on my feet, feeling the earth, how my heel and soul connect with it as they land.  To open my hearing, listen closely to sounds and nature around me.  I keep my eyes on wide focus.   Often, step by step, I find some peace.  Perhaps walking itself is a mantra spoken by the feet :)

There are also some guided meditations I find soothing and good for reducing anxiety.  See-

The mantra I use most is YHVH from Rawn Clark.  More a canticle really, it gets deep and into hermetic magic- http://abardoncompanion.de/TMO-Links.html

I mostly do it in the shower for the superior acoustics.  To some extent any tune you repeat and focus on can be soothing.  Even better when it has some special meaning and the vowels themselves carry some power. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

There's also the question of 'IS mantra the best way to deal with anxiety/worry?'

Probably not a bad tool to have at your disposal, but if its chronic then sometimes you have to face the problem head on.  Or deeply acknowledge that the problem itself is either an illusion or beyond your control- letting the anxiety dissolve.  not easy, cause these things can run deep but with time and effort it is possible. 

I see mantra, on lower level, as a tool to help you achieve a mind state if you believe the mantra. 

18 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I have to say a mantra does help in anxiety and worry moments because it can give people a simple task to do that won't necessarily make the problem go away, but at least change the focus, and due to the power of mantra, can help align the chanter towards other possibilities not explored before.

Hi Earl, you seem to good knowledge about mantra. I just started looking into mantra so I'd like to ask a question. What's your thought about Chundi Mantra and its origin? Chundi itself has too much humanized picturesque which makes it not pure anymore. I read a version like this from dharmawheel

The earliest text I know of related to Cundi is the Karandavyuha Sutra. In that sutra, a bodhisattva seeks samadhi using the mantra "om manipadme hum." At the end of the sutra, the bodhisattva achieves this samadhi and then seven kotis of buddhas reply in one voice with the Cundi mantra, something like, "namah saptanam samyaksambuddha kotinam tadyatha om cale cule cunde svaha." Probably later, there was the Saptakotibuddhamatr Cundi Dharani Sutra, "Sutra of the Cundi Dharani, the Mother of Seven Kotis of Buddhas." This text is dedicated to the dharani itself and says nothing about any figure named Cundi. The Cundi Dharani is only treated as a dharani by that text (although lauded in the highest terms as is common in dharani sutras).

This one is seems plausible rather than 

Once, the Buddha was dwelling near Shravasti, at the Anathapindada Garden in the Jeta Forest. At that time the World-Honoured One was contemplating and observing the sentient beings of the future. Out of great compassion for them, the Buddha decided to expound on the Dharani of Cundi, the heart of the mother of seven kotis of buddhas. Thus, the Buddha revealed the mantra:

NAMO SAPTANAM SAMYAKSAMBUDDHA KOTINAM. TADYATHA: OM! CALE, CULE, CUNDI SVAHA!

which isn't recorded in Tripitaka. Care to share some thought?

You have to be aware that there are a number of factors that also contribute to anxiety like sugar, gluten from bread, flour, rice and lastly too much meditation or internal energy practice.

• Like 1

Famous Lion Chant-

A-weema-weh, a-weema-weh, a-weema-weh, a-weema-weh  repeated 4 X

In the jungle, the mighty jungle
The lion sleeps tonight
In the jungle the quiet jungle
The lion sleeps tonight

I mentioned A-weema-weh in jest, yet there is an uplifting power to singing.  Happy songs, silly songs, even matching our mood with the blues or hard rock outrage.   Not a bad way to get out of anxiety and worry.

Matter of fact lately when I get a little flustered here's my go to song of late- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKtsdZs9LJo

On 4/17/2018 at 4:13 AM, dontknwmucboutanythng said:

What to do when anxiety is due to a serious health issue of oneself or love ones?  Thanks.

I'd say go to a good acupuncturist.