Sign in to follow this  
Cookie Monster

Deleting my posts

There's really only one way to do that... find the posts one by one... select edit, highlight the text, then delete.
To find the threads you've contributed to... go to your profile page and click 'see my activity'

Enjoy your internet fasting and withdrawal.  Very cleansing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Form said:

Hello, I've decided to try to pull my energy back from the internet.

Can somebody please explain how I delete my posts/topics on TDB?

If you don’t mind my asking, why? How do you see deleting old posts helping?

33 minutes ago, zerostao said:

There is a secret file, highly classified, labeled "TDB's most prolific poster"

:ph34r:

I sure hope they read the ones where I talk about Anarchism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

We cannot erase history.  It is pretty much written in stone.

I prefer my history written   when stoned .  ...... then its erased  from short term memory loss .    That is important because .... ummmm ... because   ......     errrrrm    .... wot  ?     :huh:    

• Like 4

10 hours ago, silent thunder said:

There's really only one way to do that... find the posts one by one... select edit, highlight the text, then delete.
To find the threads you've contributed to... go to your profile page and click 'see my activity'

Enjoy your internet fasting and withdrawal.  Very cleansing. 

While this is possible, from an Admin point of view, I'd discourage for a few reasons

1. I breaks the flow of exchanges if posts are removed and the exchanges can then become challenging to follow.

2. The threads move to later pages over time and folks tend to only read and not post anymore; ergo point #1

3. Trying to remove our anonymity isn't as fulfilling in a selfless way as completely accepting the past by moving forward in life.

Not sure this really helps but you contributions here have likely helped others.

Best.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dawei said:

While this is possible, from an Admin point of view, I'd discourage for a few reasons

1. I breaks the flow of exchanges if posts are removed and the exchanges can then become challenging to follow.

2. The threads move to later pages over time and folks tend to only read and not post anymore; ergo point #1

3. Trying to remove our anonymity isn't as fulfilling in a selfless way as completely accepting the past by moving forward in life.

Not sure this really helps but you contributions here have likely helped others.

Best.

#3 is nicely put...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ocean Form said:

It's not so much about removing as finding, connecting again to dissociated energy "bound up" in the posts.

For example deleting everything in my PP section felt like it freed a lot of energy for me.

That's how my energy works anyway. Maybe people are different.

I think deleting all posts from a user is actually possible with the forum software... since I percieve that it would help me,

can I ask for that help?

OF

Yes, the software can do it.  As a directive from the owner, we do not do it.

2 hours ago, zerostao said:

be thankful you didnt post as often as i did! still the deleting goes pretty quick

and I agree with silent thunder, it is "Very Cleansing."

Cleansing is for clean freaks.  I doubt you fit the criteria.

• Like 2

I understand the cleansing aspect yet I'm sorry when people delete everything. 

At some point everyone posts some good solid stuff.  Are part of solid intelligent conversations and to delete those hurts the flow, perhaps keeps people from accessing a little unique wisdom. 

So delete if you must, but maybe not everything.  Take your time, if you've written some good posts, let'em live.  We all produce alot of chaff but let the wheat stay.   Every now and then old posts come back to life, often the best of them do, years later and your contribution deserves to be read and not a hole in the conversation.

• Like 4

I'm against creating or adding to the mystery by deleting part of a conversation.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, zerostao said:

... but also Daoist to leave no trace.

Well, damn.  I can't argue with that.  Chuang Tzu would be proud of you.

Personally, I look at a forum as a treasure trove of information. It saddens me to come across a thread that has been "vandalized" by a later deletion of many of its posts, almost rendering it unreadable in some cases. Even more if it's one that I personally contributed to. That's one of the reasons why I usually quote posts that I am replying to.

However, I understand that some look at this from a different perspective.

Hope you will be back one day, OF.

Best wishes

Michael

• Like 7

I don't delete, but I do modify posts.*  Even old ones, usually it's grammatical or to get my point across betterer clearer. 

Deleters beware.  Our posts are in part our diaries, as years and decade go by, they are the footsteps of our thoughts, showing us where we have been.   There is a loss, when we erase them. 

We've had people erase their entire blogs in a hissy fit over a staff decision only to come back the next day to rage about the loss that they felt 'forced' to do. 

Reflection maketh the man or at least has potential to improve him.  Cause hopefully we grow or at least start recognizing patterns in our foolishness.

*even hide and bury things invisibly.

• Like 6

You only have a few hundred posts , spend the time , delete them individually. Frankly IMO  all of these should go away after a while;  but even as it is , things will become buried as bones eventually . 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this