Bruce Qi

what practices to start with ?

I am interested in starting some yogic practices and just wondered if anyone could help suggest some ?

Aside from the basic yoga formations like sun salutation , what about energetic practices ?

• Like 1

I've practiced those things for 10 years and I regret every second.

The most you can get from meditation is relaxation and stress reduction: 10 minutes a day is more than enough. My advice is to cultivate other things in your life.

Meditation is generally to cultivate inner silence.  Other yogic practices target and directly work with energy.  At very high stages, silence and energy are said to be 2 sides of the same coin. 

Have you tried anything like Kriya yoga?  I personally found some group energy practices to be the most effective.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2018 at 8:54 AM, Bruce Qi said:

That is an excellent book. But, not sure if it is a good place to start.  That book by Swami Satyananda Saraswati is like a comprehensive manual or encyclopedia that documents numerous practices in Kriya, Tantra & Kundalini yoga.  I use it only as a reference manual.  The book does provide structured practices.  However the author himself warns,  many of those practices should be done only under the guidance of a qualified teacher. Many techniques that were never printed before, are documented on this book.  The Swami has done a great service by documenting the practices.  But, it is wise to approach them with caution.  There are medical journals, that document and explain things like heart surgery.  But, attempting them just by reading the book may not be advisable.  Having said that, the Swami points out which practices are safe to undertake without great risks. 

Depending on where you are located, you can possibly try, Kriya yoga classes or initiations nearby.  There are multiple lineages that offer initiations and classes all over the world.  To start with, I would suggest visiting Ennio's site and read his books that are free.  I have interacted with Ennio and have the greatest respect for him.  He is also kind and answers the questions from earnest seekers.  I liked the practices especially as given by Sri Mukherjee, which can be found on Ennio's site and books (http://kriyayogainfo.net) .  Sri Mukherjee's books can also be purchased on Amazon.  You can also check out AYP, which is a self directed system that is similar to Kriya yoga and TCM: https://www.aypsite.org.

I have practiced Kriya yoga and some other meditation, spiritual practices, on and off for nearly 2 decades.  As I pointed out, I found the group energy practices with help from some folks that are advanced to be safe and the fastest practice that I ever did.  If you are interested, I can introduce to some in this site, who may be able to help.  This could also be a complement to Kriya practice.  I would also suggest that you check out the Primordial Fire meditation that Jeff has described in the link below.  If you have any questions, you can post on that thread and Jeff normally answers promptly.  

Best wishes & good luck! 

Edited by s1va
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 8:09 AM, Bruce Qi said:

I am interested in starting some yogic practices and just wondered if anyone could help suggest some ?

Aside from the basic yoga formations like sun salutation , what about energetic practices ?

What is your goal? Why do you want to start these practices?

• Like 1

Depending on your goals, I like the advanced yoga practices books or the ones produced by Swami Rama and the Himalayan Institute.  They would both advocate a general hierarchy of practice as follows:

Some asana to prepare the body (think 10 mins or so)

A body scan or similar to become 'present'

Some basic pranayama.... both highly recommend spinal breathing which is pretty straight forward and quite subtle.

A period of seated meditation - often with a mantra.  The So Hum and Ayam mantras are given as universal, non complex options

Optional add ons including samyama and self inquiry afterwards, mudras and pranayama refinements during.

Both advocate self-pacing - i.e. taking things slowly, listening to your intuition on things.  Both advocate a fairly balanced approach to peripheral stuff like diet and exercise etc.  Both advocate taking full part in the world.

• Like 2