Jeff Pepper

Hi from Jeff

Hi everyone, new member here, Jeff Pepper from Pittsburgh PA.  I'm a writer, publisher, and a slow but determined student of the Chinese language.  My publishing company, Imagin8 Press (www.imagin8press.com) started up a year ago, focusing initially on creating easy-to-read books for English speakers learning Chinese.  We've published 7 books in our first year.  Now I'm working on a major project, creating (yet another) new translation of the Dao De Jing.  I've visited this forum a few times and have found it to be incredibly helpful.  I love the serious scholarship that goes into these discussions, and the positive vibes.  Looking forward to contributing!

Jeff

• Like 4

Welcome, your products are very timely.  I hope you'll give your insights in our discussions on the Dao De Jing.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:11 PM, Jeff Pepper said:

I'm a writer

Hi Jeff,

As a writer - are you a wordsmith, truth seeker, business researcher or...? I am not critical as a person. But as seeker/researcher I like to embrace critical realism as a philosophy.

Now I'm working on a major project, creating (yet another) new translation of the Dao De Jing.

I joined TDB in March last year. At the start, I wanted to read the Dao De Jing (DDJ) to have myself better placed as an intended Taoist - philosophically. But to-date I have yet to read any DDJ translation in English.

Why? I am a third generation overseas Chinese who cannot read Mandarin text. As a critical realist, I am concerned about loss in translation.

So? I choose to be a nobody - like an apple tree growing well in Nature underlined by the DDJ. But I am more than such a tree - I like to explore/exploit experientially. And I also like to share experiential learning/knowing with trusted friends. Why? Each road less traveled is different.

We've published 7 books in our first year.

Best wishes to you as a publisher.

- LimA

What am I? Tough question, LimA, but I guess it's an appropriate question on this forum... :)

I guess I like to identify interesting and worthwhile problems, and then solve them creatively.  That's taken many forms in my life -- mostly in business, where I've started, built up and managed several tech companies. But I also spent 30 years as a student on a spiritual path (though I'm currently unaffiliated), trying to solve that pesky "meaning of life" problem.  From my background as an entrepreneur, I tend to see problems as interesting opportunities.

So, I got involved in writing and publishing books because (a) it looked like fun, and (b) I saw an unsolved problem; ie, grownups like me looking for books to help them learn Chinese.  So I spent a year writing and publishing a series of six books. As that was wrapping up, I started looking for another challenge. Collaborating with my friend Xiao Hui, I decided to translate the DDJ, but I decided to do it in a novel way.  I wanted to find a way for people to see through the translation and understand how the verses were originally written and how they are transformed, for better or worse, into English.  That's how I got involved in this project, which as become pretty much all-consuming!

OK, that's my true confession for today.  Whew.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jeff Pepper said:

What am I? Tough question, LimA, but I guess it's an appropriate question on this forum...

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for coming across as very human. My apology for the tough question.

I guess I like to identify interesting and worthwhile problems, and then solve them creatively.  That's taken many forms in my life -- mostly in business, where I've started, built up and managed several tech companies. But I also spent 30 years as a student on a spiritual path (though I'm currently unaffiliated), trying to solve that pesky "meaning of life" problem.  From my background as an entrepreneur, I tend to see problems as interesting opportunities.

We are on the same page when it comes to problems. They are potential platforms/springboards for more "meaning of life". Nestled in problems are latent lessons and knowledge.

So, I got involved in writing and publishing books because (a) it looked like fun, and (b) I saw an unsolved problem; ie, grownups like me looking for books to help them learn Chinese.  So I spent a year writing and publishing a series of six books. As that was wrapping up, I started looking for another challenge.

Challenges spur us on to find more "meaning of life"?

... for better or worse...

th?id=OIP.i-R7I7mpGWWg-ToAXj4qAAHaFk&pid=15.1&P=0&w=209&h=158

OK, that's my true confession for today.  Whew.

book-of-common-prayer-quote-to-have-and-to-hold-from-this-day-forward.jpg

No confession needed - when one human crosses path honestly with another.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

On 2/23/2018 at 6:39 AM, Jeff Pepper said:

I guess I like to identify interesting and worthwhile problems...

I tend to see problems as interesting opportunities.

Hi Jeff,

More problems.

- LimA

Worthwhile problems

Good morning Jeff,

How do we promote the celebration of solving worthwhile problems?

- LimA

I tend to see problems as interesting opportunities.

PROBLEMS

Solve-Problems.png

cant-solve-problems-same-thinking-einstien-quotes-sayings-pictures.jpg

each-problem-that-i-solved-became-a-rule-which-served-afterwards-to-solve-other-problems-quote-1.jpg

th?id=OIP.ni2Z-S5pp76hAFsg-BagzwHaHP&pid=15.1&P=0&w=163&h=160

problems-quotes-5.jpg

Lewin-Problems2.png

a-lot-of-problems-in-the-world-would-disappear-if-we-talk-to-each-other-instead-of-about-each-other-quote-1.jpg

nobody-has-a-perfect-life-everybody-has-their-own-problems-problem-quote.jpg

th?id=OIP.Y4U3xS7vnkH5Y5GOliJcJgHaEp&pid=15.1&P=0&w=281&h=177

66501-o.jpg

i-dont-have-an-attitude-problem.jpg

- LimA

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

I like that last one.  It has been my unspoken attitude for some time now.

Hi Dada-da,

The last one was specially chosen with you in mind. 

Once a stone, always a stone.

- LimA

• Like 1

On 22-2-2018 at 11:39 PM, Jeff Pepper said:

Collaborating with my friend Xiao Hui, I decided to translate the DDJ, but I decided to do it in a novel way.  I wanted to find a way for people to see through the translation and understand how the verses were originally written and how they are transformed, for better or worse, into English.  That's how I got involved in this project, which as become pretty much all-consuming!

That looks very interesting. I will open a special topic about your book. Unhappily on Bol.com (in the Netherlands that's where I live) only the e-book version is sold.

See:  https://www.bol.com/nl/p/dao-de-jing-in-clear-english/9200000094395548

But I'm an old school guy loving to hold a real book in my hands.

Edited by wandelaar