Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 13:7

Writing is that means by which the world values the Way, but writing is no more than words and words, too, have value.  Meaning is what gives value to words, but meaning is dependent on something.  What meaning depends on cannot be expressed in language, yet the world transmits writing because it values language.  Although the world values writing, I, for my part, do not think it worthy of being valued, because what is valued is not what is really valuable.  Thus, what can be seen when one looks are form and color; what can be heard when one listens are names and sounds.  How sad it is that the people of the world feel that form, color, name, and sound are sufficient to grasp the reality of that!  Now, since form, color, name, and sound are insufficient to grasp the reality of that,

One who knows does not speak,
One who speaks does not know.

But how could the world recognize this?
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Writing is that means by which the world values the Way,

What the world thinks the most valuable exhibition of the Dao is to be found in books. /Legge/

• Like 1

Men of the world who value the Way all turn to books.

Watson

As I have stated before, once we have grasped the meaning we can forget about the words, forget about the books.  Time to live what we have learned.

Sign in to follow this