MaGeoff

My Path (So Far)

I've had Post Concussion Syndrome for almost 2 years and I discovered Qi Gong as I was looking for movement I can do and something that would help. Like many I tried to navigate through the sea of Qi Gong online (including Youtube). I went to one of the few Qi Gong classes near me and I started to read and listen.

My first step was ok to start, but the style just didn't feel right. A teacher told me I wasn't ready for the "transmission" of a move that I was asking about and had seen online, which was a red flag. Then the general energy.... Finally. I watched some videos from the head of the school and I knew it wasn't the right fit.

I continued my journey by getting Mimi Kudo-Deemer's videos. I really like her and found that The Eight Brocades and the Eighteen Forms were a really good place to really start my journey.

I also sought out Ken Cohen's videos as well as Robert Peng, both which had been recommended, and both gave me something different for my practice. 

I'm still finding my way through all this, wish I had a good local teacher, but am trying to find the knowledge and support for this part of my journey online. Have been very happy to find the Dao Bums, some great info here, but more importantly community, something I really need (and miss since I stopped going to my in person class).

- Geoff

Edited by MaGeoff
  • Like 2

Hello, MaGeoff and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Geoff ,

I'm sure you will get some good recommendations.  Joining in the on-going discussions will help.  Not a lot of people read these "Welcome" posts.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaGeoff said:

I was looking for movement I can do and something that would help.

Hi Geoff,

Personally I am not much into physical Qi Gong but there are other chi movements besides its external possibilities.

To me, underlying all Qi Gong practices is more importantly the mind. It is mind over body.

Are you  already into some internal pathways of chi? If not, are you considering them?

Welcome to TDB.

- LimA

• Like 2

Hi, Geoff,

I am new to this forum also .... still finding my way around.

Have you tried looking into a Tai Chi class/group?  Sounds like that might be something that would benefit you.

Welcome!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MaGeoff said:

I'm still finding my way through all this, wish I had a good local teacher, but am trying to find the knowledge and support for this part of my journey online.

Hi Geoff,

Have noted that you are exploratory. I started my journey online too. But after some inspection and introspection, I develop an inner voice through experiential learning. Then I find my own path - a road less traveled. Still finding - but now much less journeying online.

7 hours ago, MaGeoff said:

Then the general energy...

Interesting - like to expand?

- LimA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Limahong said:

Are you  already into some internal pathways of chi? If not, are you considering them?

Yes! I'm on the path. I loved how Mimi's stuff is a real gateway, good focus on the physical with the real next step to go deeper and focus on more than just the physical.

6 hours ago, OldDog said:

Have you tried looking into a Tai Chi class/group?  Sounds like that might be something that would benefit you.

I have. The options are very thin, I'm continuing to look. 

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Then the general energy...

Interesting - like to expand?

The vibe was off. The space for Qi Gong not energetically clean to work in. Ultimately, not a fit.

11 hours ago, MaGeoff said:

The vibe was off. The space for Qi Gong not energetically clean to work in. Ultimately, not a fit.

Hi Geoff,

I cannot figure out what the above meant. But please do not expand on it further.

Have you ever thought what the chakras/dantiens are all about; and how you can/have relate(d) to them?

- LimA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Have you ever thought what the chakras/dantiens are all about; and how you can/have relate(d) to them?

Yes, I am in qi and qi is within me ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaGeoff said:

Yes, I am in qi and qi is within me

Hi Geoff,

Profound. You are your own man.

My take - you will get along fine on your own road less traveled.

There is always up/down on your chosen path - that is life.

- LimA

• Like 1