Shad282

Unbalanced spiritual equation ?

what is your opinion regarding releasing attachments to what makes you happy and/or from which you derive an identity, a purpose from.

Ending up purposeless and not having a reason to exist... no identity to preserve and no thing or person to get happiness from.

Then the question is, why to exist in such reality if you have nothing to get happiness from or a reason/purpose to live for?

on the other side of the equation are pains that we resist and we are averse to. how are you going to handle living with them if you have even have no purpose or something to live for. Ending up with pains and nothing to live for.

Edited by Shad282
  • Like 5

If you need a thing to be happy that is attachment.

Nothing wrong with doing fun stuff. It is only if you need it to be happy or think you need it to make you happy.

Things that feel good are often the strongest attachments.

Yet nobody is asking someone to stop having fun, that is a misunderstanding of the process.

Your pains are the same, thoughts of past stuff that you are caught up in. It is easy for the mind to focus on what you don't have or what is wrong. Yet the present moment really has none of that.

Edited by Jonesboy
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jonesboy said:

If you need a thing to be happy that is attachment.

Nothing wrong with doing fun stuff. It is only if you need it to be happy or thing you need it to make you happy.

Things that feel good are often the strongest attachments.

Yet nobody is asking someone to stop having fun, that is a misunderstanding of the process.

Your pains are the same, thoughts of past stuff that you are caught up in. It is easy for the mind to focus on what you don't have or what is wrong. Yet the present moment really has none of that.

But why would you need things in your life, or do fun stuff ? what is the purpose for doing something fun ? isn't Fun mean to entertain yourself to get happy doing or watching..etc. 

regarding the present moment: it is possible to be present with things that makes you not happy. As in being in a place or you have to do something you don't like. it is now and here and not from the past but still not fun.

Edited by Shad282
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shad282 said:

But why would you need things in your life, or do fun stuff ? what is the purpose for doing something fun ? isn't it Fun means to entertain yourself to get happy doing or watching..etc. 

regarding the present moment: it is possible to be present with things that makes you not happy. As in being in a place or you have to do something you don't like. it is now and here and not from the past but still not fun.

All that is your thoughts, your want and desires.

What is it that you are not happy with? Things people say that make you feel bad, attachments. Your type of work, attachment. They are all things of the mind. Change your thinking and I bet it all gets better if nothing else.

Yes, doing fun things is great. I like to help people but am I sad, depressed when I don't? I like to watch movies, am I sad if I don't? I would like to get a promotion and do a different job, am I sad if I don't?

Each are examples of attachments that I could be caught up in. Happiness comes from within, from who you are, not from things.

Edited by Jonesboy
  • Like 1

With that being said. You have heard me say these things many times.

I will leave the thread for you to get others view on the subject.

All the best my friend.

10 minutes ago, Jonesboy said:

All that is your thoughts, your want and desires.

What is it that you are not happy with? Things people say that make you feel bad? Attachments, you type of work, attachment. They are all things of the mind. Change your thinking and I bet it all gets better if nothing else.

Yes, doing fun things is great. I like to help people but am I sad, depressed when I don't? I like to watch movies, am I sad if I don't? I would like to get a promotion and do a different job, am I sad if I don't?

Each are examples of attachments that I could be caught up in. Happiness comes from within, from who you are, not from things.

I m not sure how well is it to change how you think in order to adapt to what is, and accept what is, and not do what you like and keep doing what you don't like. 

Being present is more about allowing thoughts rather than changing them. as far as i know. thoughts remain and not change, but you release attachment or aversion to them. 

Happiness comes from within... yes  that is why i m saying it is an unbalanced equation:

if you are going to release attachments, as in what makes you happy and you don't have a source for happiness "within" at that stage/phase/gap where are you going to be ? 

Edited by Shad282
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shad282 said:

what is your opinion regarding releasing attachments to what makes you happy and/or from which you derive an identity, a purpose from.

Ending up purposeless and not having a reason to exist... no identity to preserve and no thing or person to get happiness from.

If attachment from which one's identity (the 'I' thought) is derived is released, then what that person called 'I"  so far, transforms and is not the same old identification anymore. 

If what we call 'I' itself goes through a transformation, then it stands to reason that everything associated with that 'I' including  what 'existence' stands for or purpose of existence should also transform.   If we are exploring the purposes or reasons for existence, then the attachments to the identity such as body/mind are still very much there.  How can the 'I' that still has attachments to things including identity, assume or speculate about the purposes or reasons for existence after such a transformation where that same 'I' won't exist anymore?  They could mean something entirely new after the transformation, can't they? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Shad282 said:

I m not sure how well is it to change how you think in order to adapt to what is, and accept what is, and not do what you like and keep doing what you don't like. 

Being present is more about allowing thoughts rather than changing them. as far as i know. thoughts remain and not change, but you release attachment or aversion to them. 

Happiness comes from within... yes  that is why i m saying it is an unbalanced equation:

if you are going to release attachments, as in what makes you happy and you don't have a source for happiness "within" at that stage/phase/gap where are you going to be ? 

I used change how you think as an example. Not what I recommend as you know.

What is it that makes you happy and what are you letting go?

Is it more I like sitting on my butt and I am not happy at having to work. So I have given up my happiness to do something I don't like?

That type of example?

4 minutes ago, Jonesboy said:

I used change how you think as an example. Not what I recommend as you know.

What is it that makes you happy and what are you letting go?

Is it more I like sitting on my butt and I am not happy at having to work. So I have given up my happiness to do something I don't like?

That type of example?

It is not about something recent, this been something that happens often. purposeless, worthlessness and not real motivation to do anything since not able to enjoy or be happy doing anything, and not finding that "within " happiness and fun in doing anything. and working/doing, something i dn't like and boring and in a none motivating environment...

• Like 1

Being so caught up I can see where it would be really tough to find that happiness.

I know you do some powerful practices. Any thoughts to taking a break and seeing if that helps at all?

Maybe some overloading is contributing?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Shad282 said:

It is not about something recent, this been something that happens often. purposeless, worthlessness and not real motivation to do anything since not able to enjoy or be happy doing anything, and not finding that "within " happiness and fun in doing anything. and working/doing, something i dn't like and boring and in a none motivating environment...

Sorry to hear you are going thorough some difficult stuff.  You mentioned often.  Does this happen in episodes that tend to get better later?  Have you observed any kind of triggers over time, both, the ones that may possibly contribute to this condition, or the ones that help make things better, to break out of the cycle.

Edited by s1va
spelling

6 minutes ago, Jonesboy said:

Being so caught up I can see where it would be really tough to find that happiness.

I know you do some powerful practices. Any thoughts to taking a break and seeing if that helps at all?

Maybe some overloading is contributing?

I m not sure it is overloading. but this state or dunno, happens from time to time, and is happening often, finding myself at a purposeless world, and finding no reason to live for and nothing making me happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shad282 said:

There is only one true identity. And that identity is free of all attachments. Its very nature is bliss, joy, love, awareness. Only by eschewing all the transitory identifications can we realize our true identity. The problem becomes when we don't have a framework to believe in, while we are working towards that objective (of finding out our true nature or true identity). What do you believe in? There are two ways to go about it (here you means anyone).

1. Find a system that you find most plausible and devote yourself to following it's directions
  2. Don't believe in any system but have the conviction of intent to not give up whatever course of enquiry you have undertaken, sort like "moon or bust" type attitude. Don't give up, no matter what the outcome might be. Keep at the enquiry doggedly.

Then the question is, why to exist in such reality if you have nothing to get happiness from or a reason/purpose to live for?

The purpose to live is to find out who is it that is suffering? To feel that there's nothing to get happiness from or no purpose to live is also a type of suffering. Who is it that is feeling this way? 

on the other side of the equation are pains that we resist and we are averse to. how are you going to handle living with them if you have even have no purpose or something to live for. Ending up with pains and nothing to live for.

Like the question above, it also indicates that there is someone who is feeling these pains. Who is it that is feeling these pains? If you find this answer, you will find out who you really are. All you need to do is seek the one who is suffering. Find out if that person even exists. If that person doesn't exist (ie the one who is suffering), then is there suffering at all? 

It is akin to playing a role of a victim of a terrible fate in a play and forgetting that it is just a role, and suffering the character's victimhood. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, s1va said:

Sorry to hear you are going thorough some difficulty stuff.  You mentioned often.  Does this happen in episodes that tend to get better later?  Have you observed any kind of triggers over time, both, the ones that may possibly contribute to this condition, or the ones that help make things better, to break out of the cycle.

it is been 2 months on this. i get high and good sometimes and then falls deep down. the higher i get, i get lower and lower and the period becomes longer.  Feelings not coming from anything i m aware of. 

not sure where it comes from and result, maybe doubts regarding self and triggers.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shad282 said:

I m not sure it is overloading. but this state or dunno, happens from time to time, and is happening often, finding myself at a purposeless world, and finding no reason to live for and nothing making me happy.

By no means an expert, but if I found myself where you describe, "finding myself at a purposeless world, and finding no reason to live for and nothing making me happy" I would run (not walk) to an acupuncturist, and or MD and get screened for depression, follow their advice.

Best of luck!

Please update us as things progress..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shad282 said:

it is been 2 months on this. i get high and good sometimes and then falls deep down. the higher i get, i get lower and lower and the period becomes longer.  Feelings not coming from anything i m aware of. 

not sure where it comes from and result, maybe doubts regarding self and triggers.

As cold suggested above, a doctor appointment may be prudent, considering you have been going through this for 2 months.  It's easy to offer suggestions for these things, like exercise, nature walk, eating healthy, etc.  You may know many of these things already, but it may be hard to apply them at times.  If it really bothers where someone describes purposelessness and finding no reason to live, it is best to do a screening for depression or any other potential illness just in case.   I can't honestly suggest things like staying in the present moment, or inquire into the nature of who you are, etc, considering the severity of what you stated.  On the contrary, it may be wise not to do undertake anything contemplative or things that take you deeper inside such as any type of seated meditation, or breathing exercises until some of these issues are resolved.  Jonesboy mentioned about the overload, that is one possibility.  Taking a break from powerful practices, even for a short time frame, may possibly help. 

I am not an expert on this topic either.  These low moods or the swing between the higher and lower can also be caused by various underlying physical factors.  Such as low hormone levels, even some vitamins or mineral levels when they are low, can cause lack of energy, motivation, fatigue, etc.  Some routine lab tests screen for many of these levels.   You have also mentioned pains and handling to live with them.  Living a spiritual life is great, but we need to balance it with common sense also.  As we all know, modern medicine can be a lifesaver in several instances.  At the minimum, some of these tests can rule out physical factors.  There are always other options such as Acupuncture or TCM.  I am not sure if these other options are available where you live.  A medical check-up may be a good place to start.  Good Luck.  Love & Light!

• Like 4

I see no spiritual element in relying on your attachment to something in order to feel happy...  That's the opposite of the Dharma.  This attachment is the result of the arising dependent condition.  Is not permanent.  Is just an illusion.  An imbalanced spiritual equation is called the samsara.....the hell realm....  :)  

A balanced one is when you realize the essence of the Dhrama.  Your happiness is resulted from not attaching your mind to the hell realm.  To see the impermanent nature of it.   

On 2/5/2018 at 0:37 PM, Shad282 said:

Can you define happiness ?  Will it become very personal or individual ?

Can you define pain ?  Is that the inability to gain happiness?

If we just remove both definitions from our mind, are we still living?

It seems to me, that we build up 'reasons' that exist, yet we exist prior to those reasons.

you seem to be asking:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_why_there_is_anything_at_all

What to live for ?

Seems back to the point of, why are we even alive rather than not..  

As an alternative: Why does the grass grow, flowers bloom, fish swim...  and people breath and wake up each day....

Oh shit... this thread was about detachments... or attachments... I've lost the thought on it...

I think this is really about what we value and love... and hold dear to ourselves.... 

Shady... I hold you dear but I don't wake up for you.

• Like 2