Sign in to follow this  
Kongming

Daoist Chanting and Ritual

Anyone what is the typical daily chanting done by modern Daoists, specifically Longmen/Quanzhen but really in general? Daily rituals if any?

Even better anyone know of any links with the chants (Hanzi alone are fine but with pinyin along would be ideal)?

I believe Stuart Alve Olson has a book which details some daily scriptures chanted or something but I suppose it'd be better to find them online as I imagine it is common knowledge, perhaps just less common in the English speaking world.

Personally am generally interested but more specifically I would like to add a chanting regimen into my daily routine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 hour ago, Kongming said:

Anyone what is the typical daily chanting done by modern Daoists, specifically Longmen/Quanzhen but really in general? Daily rituals if any?

Even better anyone know of any links with the chants (Hanzi alone are fine but with pinyin along would be ideal)?

I believe Stuart Alve Olson has a book which details some daily scriptures chanted or something but I suppose it'd be better to find them online as I imagine it is common knowledge, perhaps just less common in the English speaking world.

Personally am generally interested but more specifically I would like to add a chanting regimen into my daily routine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Quick search on YouTube and found this (I know transcription is in Cantonese):

Edited by Mig
  • Like 1

Seems with a bit more searching I have largely found the answer to my question:

http://en.daoinfo.org/wiki/Scriptures_for_Morning_and_Evening_Rites_of_the_Complete_Perfection_Tradition

In any case, does anyone know anything more about the Daoist mantras or 神咒 and if there are restrictions on reciting them? To take a popular example, one mentioned in the link above, the 金光神咒 "Jinguang Shenzhou"/ Divine Incantation of Golden Light. Can laymen recite this or does one need a special transmission? Is it meant to be repeated like a Buddhist mantra? Anyone know of any good books in English regarding these lesser known areas of Daoism such as ritual, liturgy, chanting, mantras, etc.?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this