Sign in to follow this  
sean

Requesting advice on designing a training routine

At the end of last month, in the POE thread, I made this post here about my decision to create a Practice Handbook, and a routine inspired from Scott Sonnon's latest program. Well I asked Scott to help me design a program to accomplish some of my movement goals.

Below are some examples of some of the movements/feats of strength I am interested in being able to perform:

01_fos.gif

02_fos.jpg

03_fos.jpg

04_fos.gif

Well ... Scott ended up designing an awesome program for me. It's structured around perpetually cycling Jing (strength training), Chi (flexibility and flow), and Shen (rest and recovery) days.

So now I want to pack some alchemy into this training routine. :D

Which is where I was hoping to get some feedback from the members here. I want to stick with the Jing-Chi-Shen cycle. What I'm looking for is ideas on what practices you think would make sense to do on Jing days, which to do on Chi days, and which to do on Shen days.

My brainstorm of possibilities so far looks like this:

Jing: standing/rooting forms, ankle rotations, iron shirts, controlled breathwork/buteyko breathing, sungazing, more aggressive and/or detailed moving forms, dr. lin's stuff, gut, LTT and sexual work. Earth, Metal(Air). Spleen/Stomach and Lungs.

Chi: most moving alchemical/meditative forms, tai chi, dance, magick, chanting, visualization, singing, heart centered work. Fire, Water. Hawww.... Chuuuu... Heart and Kidney.

Shen: quiescent meditation, inner smile, spontaneous and "mindless" moving forms, hypnosis/binaural audio, mind-centered, but more importantly integrative, relaxing and releasing-centered play. Spirit (Triple Burner). Heeee.... Gestalt.

Whaddy'all think? Anything to add/subtract/pointlessly make fun of? ;)

Sean.

lol. try not to make too much division in the trinity, it really is 1

Also I was wondering what Scott recommended?

most important thing to remember is that its 1

peace

Sean,

I would have put sungazing into the chi camp, but I'm open minded. Why jing?

For a sungazer:

Jing--sperm retention, and your exercise program

chi--sungazing

shen--meditation (circulation and quiet practices)

for a non-sungazer:

Jing--retention and exercise

chi--sexual cultivation

shen--meditation

for a non-practitioner:

exercise, sun exposure, and relaxation.

-Yoda

lol. try not to make too much division in the trinity, it really is 1

Also I was wondering what Scott recommended?

most important thing to remember is that its 1

peace

3121[/snapback]

Good point GrandTrinity. Which reminds me. "Shen" based practices are ok on any day. :)

I would have put sungazing into the chi camp, but I'm open minded.  Why jing?

Excellent point Yoda. Not sure why I did that. I guess I was thinking since sungazing is external-alchemy and feels so raw and difficult to digest, that it fit more into Jing, whereas Moongazing would be more something for a Chi day. Obviously the divisions are subjective, but I think I like yours better.

And thanks a lot for your breakdown of jing/chi/shen based practices ... very helpful. :)

those are some cool exercises. have to admit i'm way less ambitious. i just wanna be able to zap in and zap out of places.

Looks good Sean . Inner Smile, Primordial Qigong, Kan and Li are all gret shen practices

I like standing meditation to biuld qi, I don't do anything ala Yiquan just stand and be patient as the qi fills up the dan tien.

Jing sort of takes care of itself when you don't ejaculate for awhile and meditate. Or do sexual practices. The most solo sexual practices I have found where in Yudeloves book Taoist Yoga and sexual energy which I think you read. But the dual culitivation would obviously be preferred:)

those are some cool exercises. have to admit i'm way less ambitious. i just wanna be able to zap in and zap out of places.

I'd love to hear you elaborate on what you mean by this. :D

Looks good Sean . Inner Smile, Primordial Qigong, Kan and Li are all gret shen practices

I like standing meditation to biuld qi, I don't do anything ala Yiquan just stand and be patient as the qi fills up the dan tien.

Jing sort of takes care of itself when you don't ejaculate for awhile and meditate. Or do sexual practices. The most solo sexual practices I have found where in Yudeloves book Taoist Yoga and sexual energy which I think you read. But the dual culitivation would obviously be preferred:)

Thanks for the great tips Cameron! :)

So I'm a few days into my this 3-day cycle style of training and I'm really digging it. I like the fact that a certain amount of balance is built in .. this lets me relax a lot and prevents overdoing/underdoing of the practices important to me.

I'm keeping a daily log in the "Blog" section, which so far is completely boring but any interesting insights and I'll put them in my "Personal Practice Discussion" thread.

Sean.

I'd love to hear you elaborate on what you mean by this. biggrin.gif

you know, POOF! you're there. POOF! yer gone. just appearing and disappearing. i reckon the POOF!s arent necessary except for dramatic effect.

Thanks for the great tips Cameron! :)

No problem. Also, I don't know if Sonnon talks about it, but be sure to get some concrete goals you want to accomplish. I don't think you have to obsess over your goals but it gives you a good structure of what your aims are.

For example, I am trying to get up to an hour of standing meditation(embrace the tree) I can go 30 minutes or so ok now but want to build it up more. Sonnon's stuff looks cool but I am still working on getting up to 500 hindu squats a day. I usually just do sets of a 100 but want to be able to do 500 in one set and get back into some BJJ in shape so I don't get schooled by some 14 year old kid!:)

you know, POOF! you're there.  POOF! yer gone.  just appearing and disappearing.  i reckon the POOF!s arent necessary except for  dramatic effect.

3219[/snapback]

Ahhhhh... I get it! Like Nightcrawler.

Anightcrawler.gif

Funny... that was always my favorite 'miracle' when i would read about some of the saints of the Catholic church when i was a kid. Heal and teleport (or bilocate), that's what I wanted to be able to do!

You know, the priests don't take it too kindly if you ask them why they can't do that stuff.

Sign in to follow this