Sign in to follow this  
GooseFlying

Opening the Energy Gates - Bruce Frantzis

Hi,

Although I have mainly studied with two other teachers, I have also done some Bruce Frantzis work with one of his teachers here in the UK.

Living a bit more rural these days, and not able to get to any classes so easily, apart from the odd monthly workshop - where the rest happen on days I've already got stuff on! - I've started doing a few online courses to try and fill in the (many) gaps I have in my practice....

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with his online Opening the Energy Gates programme?

I've done a couple of his other programmes - 5 Keys, Dragon & Tiger - and they were good/useful. But I'm not sure about the Energy Gates one. Not sure how much more I need to be taught standing, and some of the other bits, so it seems like the main part would be the swings. 

I'm happy to think that there would be loads on there that I'd benefit from, but at $97 x 3 it's a bit much at this moment, especially when I don't know how much of the content "I've already covered".

So, as I said, was just wondering if any one else has experience of it?

Thanks,

Goose Flying

• Like 1

I tried some of it several years ago and eventually dropped off. If you want to add something to what you learned in Dragon&Tiger and $97/month is a stretch (totally agree with you here), you could subscribe for a good quality yoga streaming service like $10/month and see how your performance skyrocket.

• Like 1

Thanks idquest,

when you say you "tried some of it" did you mean some of the material on the site or that specific course?

It is only a 3 month commitment, but still it's almost $300.....

It's been twenty years since I practised yoga but I remember when I was practising most days for a year that it did "open me up" very nicely. This was before I started qigong. However, what with my daily qigong and meditation practice I would find it very hard to keep another practice going on top of the usual work, home, family life schedule. But it would be nice to add Yoga in too....

Edited by GooseFlying

Frantzis has had different packages for his online course since he first launched it like 4-5 years ago. I subscribed to the very first one; and I was on subscription until I realised that I was not getting anything new out of it. Then I dropped off.

DOn't know how old you are but if you are more than 35, you can't do qigong only and hope you would go far enough in your practice. In my practice, I follow Damo Mitchell's advice that yoga should take around 30% of the movement practice time. The point is that with ageing, the tissues in the body become increasingly frigid (see Dao De Jing for reference) and to release the frigid tissues, which is one of the major goals of any internal practice, you need something more that soft movements of qigong. But again, everybody builds their own practice based on their goals, needs, and abilities!

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning again about Yoga, it's good to have that reflected back as is it is something I think of regularly-irregulary....

perhaps when the children have left home in a couple of years I'll be able to integrate it again, as you said, it would be good as I'm approaching 50...

On 1/28/2018 at 10:30 AM, idquest said:

Frantzis has had different packages for his online course since he first launched it like 4-5 years ago. I subscribed to the very first one; and I was on subscription until I realised that I was not getting anything new out of it. Then I dropped off.

DOn't know how old you are but if you are more than 35, you can't do qigong only and hope you would go far enough in your practice. In my practice, I follow Damo Mitchell's advice that yoga should take around 30% of the movement practice time. The point is that with ageing, the tissues in the body become increasingly frigid (see Dao De Jing for reference) and to release the frigid tissues, which is one of the major goals of any internal practice, you need something more that soft movements of qigong. But again, everybody builds their own practice based on their goals, needs, and abilities!

Having done many years of both Yoga and Qi Gong I would say it very much depends on the Qi Gong or the Yoga you are talking about.

In my tradition of Qi Gong it is not soft - some have said "very Yang". Done properly / taught properly it is on par with all aspects of Yoga. They are both magnificent life practices.

Fo Han Quan

Unfortunately Qi Gong is generally westernized nearly to the point that Yoga has been. 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this