stovepipe

What kind of life do you have?

I'm new and curious to learn about your lives.

- What kind of job do you have/what do you do most of the day?

- How does Taoism affect your job?

- Do you channel what you're experiencing into your job in any way?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, stovepipe said:

• Computer systems administrator.
  • I am Hindu with elements of Taoism. I feel that Taoism is woven into Hinduism. I think of the Tao as identical to Brahman; others may or may not, but I know that Tao has many interpretations and understandings. A verse from the Chandogya Upanishad is sarvam khalvidam brahma, "all this [we see] verily is Brahman". From Brahman everything manifests. There are verses in the Bhagavad Gita that imo are dead-ringers for Taoist philosophy, especially wu wei.
  • I try. A verse from the Bhagavad Gita says “In this world all actions, unless they are done as an offering to God, become causes of bondage. Therefore, work for the sake of God without personal attachments.”  
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, stovepipe said:

What kind of job do you have/what do you do most of the day?

I work in an office, sitting all day in front of a computer. Years ago when I started on this path I thought of myself as Taoist. Since then I'm not so sure. Labels, even the label of 'Tao', seem ... inaccurate. For most things they suffice, but not this. So, yeah, who knows?

How does Taoism affect your job?

I try to maintain my attentiveness as much as I can, to be mindful at all times. I fail, a lot, but each failure is a lesson for next time. I focus my attention not only on what I am doing, but on how I am feeling. This is very important to me. Since I'm human (no doubt this is a human body), it is important to experience being human. In my earlier years I wanted to surpass my humanness, rise above it - now I want to know it in all its glory and all its pain.

Do you channel what you're experiencing into your job in any way?

Of course! This is my life! :)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stovepipe said:

No single job but lots of  different ones .   Each day is different ; I garden or go out and enjoy the surrounds of nature. Lately I have been monitoring our water use ,  and doing maintenance  and repairs trying to track down a 1000 gal a day  leak from our water tank.  Helping someone get their place set up  with water and solar system.  Tractor grading some roads and drainage.  Yesterday I cooked Persian Jewelled Rice for a shared meal after workday.  Today I gotta go little city out on the coast for x-rays.  Might check out the beach. 

Basically its mostly what I feel like doing, but each day is pretty different.

My jobs   ,    it  allows me to achieve maximum output with minimum effort   ( and for that one has to know the whys, wherefores, ways,  'laws' and proclivities of nature and people.   

:huh:

-  maybe ask that again using different words .   Not sure what you mean .  I experience and take things in, then I express myself in a variety of ways.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

... I have to add that  , for me , the thread title about 'my kind of life'  isn't so tied up and involved with  a  concept of  'job'  .

Even when I worked in a job, during my life they were always different and changing.   My 'life's work '  ?  Now there is a different concept .

If your life's work  is your job   ( that is ; if you have become aware of your true 'incantatory purpose' as a unique individual ... and that is also you job that you get paid for )  ......   you a winner  !   B)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Good questions.  I'm retired so my situation doesn't apply.  I'm sure you will get some input though.

I am sure your fish think you have a job to do every day   :) 

"  ... Get to it boy !    We hungry ! " 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nungali said:

If your life's work  is your job   ( that is ; if you have become aware of your true 'incantatory purpose' as a unique individual ... and that is also you job that you get paid for )  ......   you a winner  !   B)

Interesting.

4 hours ago, Nungali said:

-  maybe ask that again using different words .   Not sure what you mean .  I experience and take things in, then I express myself in a variety of ways.

I admit that my question was vague.

Some people use spiritual practices in their job, for example professional healers.

But also: artists, scientists or entrepreneurs, really any field that requires creativity, who can use spiritual practices as a way to improve their work. As an example, I have a friend here in Palo Alto, a scientist, who uses different practices *at work* to enter altered states of consciousness and get inspired on his research.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Some people use spiritual practices in their job, for example professional healers.

But also: artists, scientists or entrepreneurs, really any field that requires creativity, who can use spiritual practices as a way to improve their work. As an example, I have a friend here in Palo Alto, a scientist, who uses different practices *at work* to enter altered states of consciousness and get inspired on his research.

I practice patience, lots, and lots of patience. Taoism helps me here in many ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Interesting.

I admit that my question was vague.

Okay, I getchya now .... yes I do .     I use what I practice and learn in all parts of my life ; 'life work' , jobs, relationships .. even travel for example  I motor cycled for many years and am still alive due to my cultivation of 'spherical awareness'  .  Helps driving car too.

Another example, with Aikido practice; maintaining a calm yet immovable and 'friendly' exterior   ( that takes no shit  )  helped immensely in a job I had for a while as hospital orderly ; sometimes huge out of it violent people to deal with.

Life generally is improved by other shamanic practices ; especially expressing thanks and gratitude for getting the things you were after ... a fulfilled and content life is invaluable .

I learnt a LOT about myself others and 'psychology' via  'magick'   'maps of the psyche' ,  astrological principles , observing and knowing the patterns in nature .    Lots of stuff .      I see a lot of people stumbling about, unaware, finding it difficult to make headway, creating difficulties and blocks for themselves and projects    ( urrrrgh !  no thanks ) .

• Like 2

On 1/23/2018 at 8:16 PM, stovepipe said:

Welcome stovepipe!

-I'm an over the road tanker trucker, delivering food-grade veggie oils, chocolate, cocoa butter, etc.

-I only see the "Tao" so, my work, life and all the people I'm privileged to become acquainted with, is That.

-Long-haul trucking requires significant focus, attention to detail, and most of all - patience. It can be intense at times. But I must say that at other times it seems quite effortless. 

I've fearfully come to my senses on many long nights in which I've driven large stretches of highway totally unaware of my actions, without incident. Unconscious of it all.

Samadhi while driving big rigs? Perhaps. Surely, someone was driving... :)

• Like 4

I used to get that driving home late at night from radio station  ......    get to the 'cutting'  by the river  (narrow road, winding , cliff up on one side and down to river on other ) then next thing, I am turning off to my road 16 km further on  - a total gap.  (However a roo jumps out or something unusual happens , straight back in my body, aware and reacting . )  So what is with that ?

Where was I and who was driving ?  How 'conscious' are we  actually,   'normally' ... who's driving this thing !

A big subject worthy of its own thread . It first came up for me during long term 4 times a day practice, one designed to break sleep cycle ( dawn or midnight )  .  " I  "  would do the practice but  " I  "   would not know about   ; that is have no memory or consciousness of doing the midnight practice  .... but the evidence of doing it would be there .    :unsure:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Where was I and who was driving ?  How 'conscious' are we  actually,   'normally' ... who's driving this thing !

The outermost layer. 

Hint: where is the Mind’s real location? ;)

Sometimes it seems to have a 'non local ' quality .

But what does that mean ?

1. Einsteinian non-locality: superluminal communication/transfer of information is possible. Einsteinian locality is closely related to causality - an effect must lie in the future light-cone of a cause.

2. Quantum non-locality: superluminal correlations are possible. Quantum non-locality is closely related to entanglement.

BUT  even in quantum mechanics, e.g. in discussions of Bell's inequalities and local hidden-variable theories, Einsteinian locality is meant by locality. In other words, in most contexts, without a modifier, one should assume that locality refers to Einsteinian locality.

There are other concepts of locality, including historical notions such as action at a distance.

BUT  quantum mechanics permits superluminal correlations (it is quantum non-local), but forbids superluminal propagation of information (it is Einsteinian local).

Perhaps it  involves entanglement (it is quantum non-local), but, like all quantum mechanical phenomena and arguably all physical phenomena we know of,  is Einsteinian local.

BUT turning  to the "force" or mechanism behind quantum non-locality. In common interpretations of quantum mechanics, there is no "force" or mechanism that explains this phenomena, nor is there anything to explain. This is related to the wave-function collapse and interpretations of quantum mechanics.

http://infophilia.blogspot.com.au/2006/11/quantum-mechanics-for-dummies-1-wave.html

Spoiler

Yes ..... the above was a  cut and paste        B)

Edited by Nungali

Let's see.............I finished college somewhat late due to changing college too many times....because of issues relating to my "enlightenment" and my path. The reason I got in to my first college had changed by the time I was at the Dharma Gate...which I haven't entered it yet.  This college tried to mold me into what they thought I should be...and to silent my own mind of what I wanted to do.  The turning point was that my so-called English professor gave me a F for the course because I was unconsciously writing about Nietzsche.  LOLOLOLOLOL...  The irony of it all...  I am reading an author talking about re-evaluating the herd mentality and to go against the time of the age..the same time I was doing just that and experiencing this herd mentality in this college.  I left this college and to move on.  Talking about co-incident.....  I discovered Carl Jung too.... 

I had my kundalini energy rising experience after I left this college and to transfer to another one.  Unfortunately, I left my second college because I was dealing with karma predated my birth...and getting myself into some troubles with the dean..... 

I finally got my 4 years degree after attending my third college.  LOL LOL.. good news..somewhat uneventful..boring...hardly an epic experience.

Then, I started to work in retail and been with this company for 7 or 8 years, with total of 5 years of management experiences.  I was surrounded by cool people and very responsible staff.  I enjoyed the  moment there and even now I have good dreams about the work place.  It wasn't bad at all considering all the craps I took in my college years.  I can't say I was cultivating during the time I was working in retail management.  Maybe I did....because I started to race bike (cycling) locally for 4 to 5 years.  Very hardcore with training over 10 hours a week and traveling to races all the way to Rhode Island, from NYC.  Even commuting to work.  I guess...cycling and bike racing...was my way to work out my own karma.  It worked.  Always love thos 4 to 5 hours long bike ride...hehehehe   

There were times I would get so tired from work, training, and racing in that week that my heart felt tired.  Somehow, I began to have redemptive dreams about the time I was in college.  Something it didn't happen but it took place in  my mind, in my dream state.  I thought that was great.  My heart and my mind were healing from within.

Things weren't going so well with this company and I got passed for a promotion and felt like I have been used.  Change of upper management and I left the place about 6 years ago.  Took a year off and thinking.  I began to toy with the idea of starting my own photography business.  Been doing it for over 5 years...  Well, is seasonal.  Is on and off.  Some money can be made.  No replacement from my old job.  However, for what I shoot, is definitely worth it.  My photography allows me to manifest my Buddha mind to the world.  To bring light to the world of events people aren't aware all.  I mainly shoot in grass root sports.

Now, is about cultivating my artistic visions and executions.  I am hoping something would grow from my photography.  

I have plenty of free time and I used it to reflect and to meditate and to catch up on my cultivation...which has started when I was 18 but I didn't have a teacher or a master to guide me.

What is funny is that the worldview I was prophetizing in my college days and professors and students giving me a hard time for it???  Shit is unfolding them now...hehehehe..     

Edited by ChiForce
  • Like 1