Dhammadad

Confused now....where to start?

Hi everyone 

Long term Buddhist (mainly practicing Silent Illumination - Shikantaza (Jp) ) and would like to start a basic Qigong practice. Problem solving all my books are either by Mantak Chia or Bruce Francis....both of whom I read not so flattering things about here. I have some books by Yang Jwing Ming too. One to one classes are not in the cards right now. 

So a simple set of healthy exercises or a pointer to some would be great. 

Thanks in advance!! 

DD....

• Like 4

Hello, Dhammadad and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Dhammadad,

You should be able to get many recommendations concerning your interests.  You might need to join in some of the on-going threads in order to get a better viewing though.  

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

Welcome to TDB. Seems like you have a lot of Dragon energy swimming through you. This form might be enjoyable. Practice daily. 

Edited by StormHealer
  • Like 2

Hi Dhammadad,

I had a similar back ground to you before I got into Qi Gong. My suggestion is the book 'The Way of Energy' by Lam Kam Chuen. It's nicely put together and is a safe way to get into this kind of stuff without having a local teacher. The simplicity of 'Silient Illumiation' resonnated with me - which was also something I found in 'The Way of Energy.

Actually, as I think about it, after having had a morning standing practice for over two years now, I've just recenly got back into practicing 'Silent Illumiation' in the evenings, and the two compliment each other very strongly. So it's well worth keeping it up along side any Qi Gong you may add

• Like 3

On 1/21/2018 at 1:22 PM, Dhammadad said:

Hi everyone 

Problem solving all my books are either by Mantak Chia or Bruce Francis....both of whom I read not so flattering things about here.

Yes, for MC, quite a lot of criticism here ... but then, if you go on amazon and read some costumers reviews or his You Tube videos, you can read many positive experiences and feedbacks ... But then again, I would recommend to learn his stuff by experienced instructor and use the books and videos as supplementary info ...  

On 1/21/2018 at 8:22 PM, Dhammadad said:

One to one classes are not in the cards right now. 

Hi Dhammadad.

Please advise on 'one to one'. Thank you.

- LimA