Sign in to follow this  
stovepipe

Hi from San Francisco

Hi,

Thank you all for being part of this community! I have discovered Taoism over a year ago and it changed my life. I am so grateful for what this path has brought me. While I am feeling pretty much alright, I am experiencing some turbulences and a kind of plateau in my practice recently, I come here for advice.

A few months ago, I met a very deluded man, suffering from paranoia and anxiety, who clearly had a history of psychedelic substance abuse. The man was telling me about how he got hurt by entities etc. His eyes were scary, you wouldn't need mind reading powers to tell that he was seriously disturbed. There was no talking him out of his delusions so I just left the discussion. A few weeks later, I think that my 3rd eye started opening, I started seeing things while meditating. But then I remembered this deluded man, and now I regularly fear what I may see, and because I fear, I see things that scare me enough to instantly open my eyes and stop meditating. This guy freaked me out, and as much as I try to not self realize my fear, to show compassion, to understand, I don't feel completely safe when I meditate anymore, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Thank you for your help!

• Like 5

Hello, stovepipe and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi stovepipe,

It is my opinion that fear rises when there is an absence of understanding.  I think you understand the problem.  I'm sure you will find some members here who can point you in a direction for resolving your problems.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 2:13 AM, stovepipe said:

Hi,

Thank you all for being part of this community! I have discovered Taoism over a year ago and it changed my life. I am so grateful for what this path has brought me. While I am feeling pretty much alright, I am experiencing some turbulences and a kind of plateau in my practice recently, I come here for advice.

A few months ago, I met a very deluded man, suffering from paranoia and anxiety, who clearly had a history of psychedelic substance abuse. The man was telling me about how he got hurt by entities etc. His eyes were scary, you wouldn't need mind reading powers to tell that he was seriously disturbed. There was no talking him out of his delusions so I just left the discussion. A few weeks later, I think that my 3rd eye started opening, I started seeing things while meditating. But then I remembered this deluded man, and now I regularly fear what I may see, and because I fear, I see things that scare me enough to instantly open my eyes and stop meditating. This guy freaked me out, and as much as I try to not self realize my fear, to show compassion, to understand, I don't feel completely safe when I meditate anymore, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Thank you for your help!

Welcome stovepipe,

Meditative visions  and experiences are, generally speaking, not very important. 

They are simply distractions of the mind, much like non-meditative experiences.

The best way to handle them is to let them be as they are, don't engage, don't push away, just notice they are there and continue to practice.

If this approach doesn't work you could try meditating with your eyes open.

In my tradition we are routinely encouraged to do so.

It may take some time to adjust but if you are able to make the transition you may find it takes your practice to the next level. 

Good luck in your practice.

Steve

Edited by steve
  • Like 6

On 1/21/2018 at 1:13 AM, stovepipe said:

Hi,

Thank you for your help!

Hi Stovepipe,

What you are feeling now is actually very common for people when they first start to energetically connect more broadly to the world around them. You are just sort of stuck in kind of a receptive mode. Like taking stuff in, but not letting the balancing outflows back out. As the energy builds up, your mind translates into the visuals (and feelings) you are getting. Rather than worry about it, maybe try to relax into it and feel the underlying energy of it. Focus on your heart when stuff comes up and feel the pressure or vibrations on your body. It can seem very scary, but actually you are starting a very exciting phase.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 5

Part of what is happening is you met close-up with someone who is stuck un-hinged and open - a sort of flailing energetic disquieted individual. While you were exposed to this you also felt and sensed and scanned him on more levels than you are as yet aware.

In your current state as you meditate you relax many areas that are somewhat closed off and tensed. At the same time you see that in some ways this matches what was going on in the individual you mentioned. 

You are gettng to what is indeed "some of the good stuff" - and simply take slow deep breathes into the abdomen if fear comes up again. Try to make a habit of ending meditation on a good note and also remember to fully come into an Awake state after meditation. The object is never to open open open up everything - the person you met is like a person with all the widows and doors to his home wide open - others have taken up residence - as well as disturbed frequencies.

No value in pondering those realms - breath and it will pass very soon.

Everyone here can help you more if you let us know a bit - what is your practice if any - how long do you typically meditate - sitting position - experience.

All the best

• Like 5

Thank you, I really appreciate all of your replies. The "energy stuck" thing is right on point, I feel like I receive 2x more energy than I can output. The overflow creates chronic tensions in the shoulders area and congestion in my sinuses.

My practice is about 40 min/day of vipassana meditation, 20 min of vinyasa yoga, and I am starting Tai Chi classes. I'd be happy to hear your recommendations.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2018 at 0:07 PM, stovepipe said:

Thank you, I really appreciate all of your replies. The "energy stuck" thing is right on point, I feel like I receive 2x more energy than I can output. The overflow creates chronic tensions in the shoulders area and congestion in my sinuses.

My practice is about 40 min/day of vipassana meditation, 20 min of vinyasa yoga, and I am starting Tai Chi classes. I'd be happy to hear your recommendations.

Sounds like you're working heart, mind and body.  Seems like a balanced practice to me. 

For tension, shaking might help.   Standing with feet shoulder width apart, hands to the sides, then from the elbows and wrist shake your hands.  Let the shaking fill your body, get your knees into.  You can keep it subtle or big and apelike letting your knees bounce your body up and down, lifting yourself off your heels. (going hou hou hou hah like a big ape)  Keep it up for a few minutes or longer.   Then let it slow and remain standing, feeling the inner vibration and let it settle.  Stay there for a bit.  It should feel good.

A good shake is great for chronic tension.  You can find it in a couple of chi gung traditions as well as martial.   Get some menthol or eucalyptus oil or wax.. Give it a sniff every now and then.. good for the sinuses as are many herbal teas.  Or you really want to get yoga on them, have someone show you how to use a neti pot.  I find that after use my sinuses clear out. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

On 1/23/2018 at 1:07 PM, stovepipe said:

It's very normal to have experiences of fear and vulnerability if you are practicing vipassana. 

The world as you know it and the "you" as you know him/her is changing.

The old sense of reality gets shaken and ultimately breaks apart.

It can be gentle for some and highly traumatic for others, and I highly recommend having the support of an experienced guide or teacher for anyone practicing vipassana.

The good news is that once you settle into what lies beneath the veneer you will be far stronger and self-sufficient.

In my opinion, it's worth the candle but it's not for everyone.

It's very good to hear you are also doing vinyasa and taijiquan, both of which can help ground you in the body and balance the initially destabilizing effects of vipassana.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, steve said:

It's very normal to have experiences of fear and vulnerability if you are practicing vipassana... the initially destabilizing effects of vipassana.

Hi steve,

Beautiful experiential sharing. Thank you.

- LimA

• Like 2

On 1/25/2018 at 7:25 PM, thelerner said:

A good shake is great for chronic tension. 

Thanks, this has been very helpful. Thanks to steve also for the reassuring words.

I'm posting back here in case someone stumbles upon this post experiencing similar issues. What helped the most was @Jeff's advice: that I should focus on giving more, and clearing my throat chakra.

I've been doing just that, I've been drinking teas for 5th chakra, I've been thinking blue, I've been humming now and then, listening to throat chakra cleansing frequencies on Youtube, I've practiced loving-kindness meditation and had fun giving love at a distance to people on the street. All of this combined, I have regained a "lightness" I had not felt since before the awakening of this new energy, I've been feeling my perspective expanding day after day. More precisely, what used to be vague feelings I could barely grasp, are turning into acquired understanding that I can use. I've also noticed some important changes in the way I am interacting with the world/the world interacts with me. It's almost unreal to me how quickly this has happened/is happening.

I am very grateful for your help here in assisting me breaking free from these tensions.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, stovepipe said:

It's almost unreal to me how quickly this has happened/is happening.

Hi stovepipe,

Just great. Why such speedy progress? Because...

On 1/21/2018 at 7:42 PM, Marblehead said:

It is my opinion that fear rises when there is an absence of understanding.  I think you understand the problem.

Good for you. Wear some flowers in your hair...

Love over-writes/rides fear.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

4 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi stovepipe,

Just great. Why such speedy progress? Because...

Good for you. Wear some flowers in your hair..Love over-writes/rides fear.

- LimA

I was in the Army when folks were wearing flowers in their hair so I couldn't participate in that.  But I did listen to the music.

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

... folks were wearing flowers in their hair...

Hi Dada-da,

... and now you are cultivating flowers in your garden...

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I was in the Army when folks were wearing flowers in their hair so I couldn't participate in that.  But I did listen to the music.

7 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Is it proper to say that I did it my way?

Wore flowers in your privates?

Or in private?

Wearing flowers in your privates in private?

Where is the joy in that?

Oh , never mind ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Why of course!  If anybody complains about your flowers just pull them aside and say....I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden.

But...

5 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Peace gentlemen peace.

- LimA

Frankie Laine might be my favorite baritone.  Marty Robbins would be right behind him but Marty is more of a tenor than a baritone.  But then, there is Hank Snow too.

44 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Marty Robbins would be right behind him but Marty is more of a tenor than a baritone.  But then, there is Hank Snow too.

Hi Dada-da,

What if we put Marty and Hank together?

On 1/30/2018 at 0:15 PM, stovepipe said:

I'm posting back here in case someone stumbles upon this post experiencing similar issues. What helped the most was @Jeff's advice: that I should focus on giving more, and clearing my throat chakra.

Hi stovepipe,

Thank you.

- LimA

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

What if we put Marty and Hank together?

Interesting in that this recent collection of music that was given to me are a few of Hank's ballads he did in Canada before coming to the USA.

Sign in to follow this