Miroku

Simple Health Advice from TCM

I think it would be nice if we could share here some simple and for normal human usable advice from TCM on how to lead healthy life. I always wanted to know more about chinese medicine, but the books I encountered were usually somewhat hard for me and I don't have much time. So, what are according to you good advice for daily life from chinese medicine (concerning topics as diet and general behaviour, etc.)? Do you have some books that deal with chinese medicine in an approachable and easy way for not so smart people?

• Like 2

In TCM, they blame some health problems on things like eating too high of fat, or too high of sugar, etc.

They usually recommend to avoid wheat, dairy, processed foods, raw or cold foods, for dealing with dampness and helping the spleen to function well...but not everything is absolute. Some Chinese medicine practitioners throughout history have said it's okay to drink milk, or they use wheat in some herbal formulas, for example.

So...steam some different veggies, have some rice, some lean meat...that's not a bad meal. There's a tradition that says to chew the food really well, and to eat in a relaxed environment...also, Sun Simiao said to take a short walk after eating a meal...and all of that makes it have an even better effect on the digestion, so that meals are light and nutritious, rather than heavy.

Notice the difference in some of the words I used..."too much" fat, versus "some" cooked veggies. It's not just what you eat (fat vs cooked veggies), but the proportions. Overeating a meal in general taxes the spleen, and eating too much of some things can cause imbalance. In one of the oldest herbal books, the Shang Han Lun, it says that recovering from an illness requires eating smaller amounts so that the spleen will recover. In Chinese Medicine, the spleen and stomach are often considered the source of our life, since we derive our qi and blood through those organs.

Imagine how you feel when you eat a deep fried piece of chicken on a donut bun with icing on top...you'll probably notice that you don't feel quite as good as normal afterward, to say the least. That's an example of "too much" of something.

When you eat "some" of foods (a moderate amount), you'll notice that you feel more normal. It's a light meal, meaning that the digestion of the food doesn't cause any symptoms...you almost feel as if you hadn't eaten anything, although you're not having hunger symptoms.

So that's all a small aspect of dietary advice they adhere to.

Exercise should be moderate...sedentary is not considered healthy due to causing stagnation, but neither is doing too much which is said to tax the kidneys. Movement in general is considered theoretically to be in line with the principle of life...so doing easier things like qigong, yoga, or walking throughout the day can be viewed as better than, let's say, a 10 minute HIIT session.

Sleep should be at night, since that's the natural time of rest. We should follow the seasons...basically, don't wake up at 5 am and run a marathon in the middle of winter. Most people could probably get away with it, at least without noticing bad symptoms for a little while, but it's going against what is natural (which is, to want to sleep in when it's dark, to want to take it easy during the winter months, and to not be out in the bitter cold, especially if sweating and exerting oneself).

• Like 4

The Chinese peasant folks are some of the healthiest and hardiest people in the world. 

Typically, their day starts before dawn, finishes around 8pm, and they're in bed by 9. 

Their breakfasts are rather simple.. usually a hot bowl of congee with lean pork simmered slowly over low heat for a few hours. Accompanied by a cup or two of Chinese tea. 

Then they start their work on the farms. 

Lunch is always rice, 1 veg and 1 meat dish. Sometimes an extra egg thrown in as a bonus if so happens their harvest sold well. Occasionally they might swap rice with noodles, but rarely. 

Dinner's the same almost all the time - rice, 1 veg, 1 meat, and a really nutritious soup, usually made with the addition of meat, carrots, barley, and some dried roots and herbs. It is quite common for the menfolk to sip a small amount of rice wine with their dinner. Most of the phyto-nutrients that help sustain their subtle energetic demands come from the soup. Thats about all they rely on as far as auxiliary health support is concerned.

Once or twice a week they might include some sort of fermented dish to their meal - it might be fermented veg, tofu, beans, or fish. 

Sleeping and rising early rejuvenates their jing and shen, increases the chi field, which they then transfer to their daily chores. 

They live an extremely frugal lifestyle, and have no aversion to routine. Away from it most of these folks feel uneasy. Traditions and mutual support are highly revered, and filial piety strictly observed. 

Edited by C T
  • Like 8

Aetherous mentioned rice, but would it be possible to apply chinese medicine principles while eating more localy grown and traditional vegetables, legumes and etc? For example using barley (used in traditional czech meals, basically like rice) instead of rice and etc.?

How does the diet change due to seasons? It is natural to eat more light in summer and bit heavier and bit fattier in winter (unless I am wrong), but what about frying and steaming? Does different way to prepare food also have some special time of the year?

Is sexual activity linked to the seasons and more preferable in some than others?

1. Chew food slowly

2. Eat mindfully. No watching TV, playing with phone or talking to others about life issues, worrying or arguing

3. Eat in moderation

4. Eat seasonally 

5. Eat local produce whenever and as much as you can

6. Do not eat any meals past sunset. If you can past 3pm and ideally past midday

7. Eat a variety of foods, eat according to the climate and your geographical location

8. Do not eat raw food except for the 1-2 pieces of seasonal fruit

9. Eat breakfast like a king. The second meal should be light

10. Drink a small lukewarm ginger lemonade after your first meal

of the day to aid digestion:

*http://www.rachelcooksthai.com/ginger-lemonade/

*I personally skip the sugar.

11. Eat food cooked with love. Eat in company in a happy and relaxed environment if you possibly can:

https://goo.gl/images/ehev5b

I really miss eating food like that. That’s the way Theravada Buddhists eat in Thailand and other SE Asian countries and how I learnt when I attended Vipassana retreat. Before that I ate like an uneducated beast.

The Chinese too!

https://goo.gl/images/7cGQzP

India, Sri Lanka

https://goo.gl/images/YNDYwq

Eating with your hands is great (except for soups). It will help you to value your meal more and mindfulness.

12. Do not eat JUNK FOOD. Banned.

Happy meal :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Miroku said:

Aetherous mentioned rice, but would it be possible to apply chinese medicine principles while eating more localy grown and traditional vegetables, legumes and etc? For example using barley (used in traditional czech meals, basically like rice) instead of rice and etc.?

How does the diet change due to seasons? It is natural to eat more light in summer and bit heavier and bit fattier in winter (unless I am wrong), but what about frying and steaming? Does different way to prepare food also have some special time of the year?

Is sexual activity linked to the seasons and more preferable in some than others?

What works conclusively (for me) is to listen attentively to what the body tells me, and it does unfailingly. In my view, all potential issues to do with your concerns can be avoided simply by keenly listening to what your body tells you. 

There are no hard and fast rules - balance and frugality is always the best way to go, no matter the season. 

And remember, moderation cannot be emphasised enough. 

Eat little, more often. 

Take care to avoid what looks like food (like all processed stuff) - it affects the subtle body in very destabilising ways. 

Fried foods are generally not encouraged. For one thing, im sure you are aware how high temp robs nutrients. 

Steaming, flash-frying and slow-cooking are my preferred choices, regardless of season. 

Im a real sucker for BBQs, so thats one bad prepping style that i am not willing to put down yet. :)

As for sexual activity, i always tell my friends to check their habits  - what works for me is to alternate between active and passive every 3 or 4 weeks.  

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

Useful thread, thanks a lot.

Some health tips from TCM for you:

1. Quit smoking, have less wine or coffee.

2. Keep away from allergens and crowded public places.

3. Choose a light diet, and eat less greasy, fried and spicy food.

4. Adjust the body to accommodate to weather.

5. Sleep well, and keep exercising.

6. Keep placid mind.

• Like 1