Brian L. Kennedy

Hua Tuo Traditional "Fight Doctor"

I went over to Lung Shan Temple several months back for some of the ceremonies connected with Ghost Month. While I was there I got a couple of religious medallions for myself and my wife. The one I got for myself is this one

huatoumedal.jpg

It features a famous historical figure, Hua Tuo, (華佗) who was a Han dynasty physician and later deified in the Daoist pantheon. People may know him as the inventor of the exercise program known as the 5 Animals Frolic as well as his fictional appearance in the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms, where he performs surgery on Kuan Ti. The story is that Kuan Ti had been struck with a poisoned arrow and Hua Tuo offered to anesthetize him so that the operation would not hurt, but Guan Yu simply laughed and said that he was not afraid of pain. So Hua Tuo performed the surgery while General Kuan Ti continued to play chess as if nothing unusual was going on.

I post it simply to point out the longstanding connection between Daoism, Chinese medicine and famous martial arts figures. Plus I quite like the medallion. I noticed yesterday that the shrine holding Hua Tuo was extremely popular with the folks coming to worship. He is considered a powerful deity in Taiwan, and along with General Kuan Ti, a favorite of Taiwanese martial artists. Ali had Dr. Ferdie Pacheco as his fight doctor, General Kuan had Hua Tuo.

Take care,

Brian

That's interesting info. I've seen a medical technique attributed to him that is supposedly a sort of shamanic precursor to accupuncture using little cuts in the skin covered by bamboo reeds soaked in medicine. It's like a cross between bleeding and cupping and dit da jow. It's a cool technique to watch. It's called Hua Tuo Zhu Guan Jiu. Anyone ever heard of it?

Thanks Freeform, I have not yet got a range on what interest people on this forum. About all I can really contribute is things related to either Taiwanese Daoism or martial arts related stuff. But I will find out which topics are of interest to the folks here and which are in the Forbidden Zone. I got a little dose of the Forbidden Zone in two other threads I took part in, but such is life on a new forum.

take care,

Brian

Thanks Freeform, I have not yet got a range on what interest people on this forum. About all I can really contribute is things related to either Taiwanese Daoism or martial arts related stuff. But I will find out which topics are of interest to the folks here and which are in the Forbidden Zone. I got a little dose of the Forbidden Zone in two other threads I took part in, but such is life on a new forum.

take care,

Brian

Hi Brian,

welcome to our forum, then.

When is your book coming out?

I am looking forward,

Pietro

I'm guessing one was the translation thread (not really a forbidden zone, more a miscommunication)

Not sure about the other one, I enjoy the cool stuff Brian posts.

Brian, I really enjoy your posts as well. As admin I hope to assure you that the only "forbidden zone" is to refrain from personal attacks, insults, that sort of thing. Some topics are certainly more controversial than others, but as long as it's in the spirit of peaceful, open discussion nothing is forbidden. For what it's worth, I get a real positive friendly vibe from you, very happy to have you here.

Best,

Sean

Hi Folks, thanks much for the good words, I appreciate them. And I very much enjoy being here too. This is me doing the Happy Dao Dance.

beardedfroicdaoist.jpg

Actually it is a page out of a Qing dynasty training manual (it was me in a former lifetime). On a more serious note, I do appreciate everyone taking some time to welcome me in. That is super.

Sean, thanks much for taking the time to write, overall it looks like a great crew of people you have here. I am sure I will enjoy it and I am glad to contribute as I can.

Pietro, the book on Daoist training manuals I expect will be published about a year down the road. I have made a personal vow to get the text done by June, then the publishing company has to do the lay out and all that jazz; so it is looking to be early 2009.

Take care,

Brian