lifeaftercheckmate

Zen Practitioner

46 minutes ago, Bud Jetsun said:

These traits are manifestations of ego delusion alone.  Awareness burns on with timeless and brilliant indifference and equanimity.

Yes, but we are talking about different things. Awareness burns on, but we are also human beings. Human beings have human experiences. I feel it is important to understand this, otherwise we risk becoming dissassociated, which is less like awareness and more like denial.

It does someone little good to set up the expectation that awareness equals total bliss. Maybe ultimately this is true (I am NOT there and do not seek that), but for many on the path, if they grow towards awareness, achieve a level of understanding but still feel emotional pain, instead of embracing what they do have they may give up and turn around over what they are still missing.

It is my intention to highlight this danger, not to challenge you. If I have offended then I sincerely apologize.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

It does someone little good to set up the expectation that awareness equals total bliss.

Hi Lost in Translation,

To me awareness pertains to knowing the unknown at a particular point in time. I expect nothing in awareness. It is dynamic and cannot be labelled. It is simply 'aHa'.

aha.jpg

ah-ha-moment.png

Sometimes I fail to recognize an 'aHa' moment until moments/days/weeks/years later

e182ca24ec0dea83032d0a04da79a62c.jpg

50 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

It is my intention to highlight this danger, not to challenge you. If I have offended then I sincerely apologize.

You have raised a valid point. Thank you.

- LimA

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, Lost in Translation said:

Excellent observation! I always enjoy a good "awakening" thread. This point of awakening as a beginning is (IMHO) crucial to understand.

We (my experience) begin by thinking awakening is it. Bam! All problems solved. Blissful life from now on. But no, that's not it. That's naive. Just as awakening doesn't mean you no longer eat or breath, similarly it doesn't mean you no longer feel pain.

Rather, awakening adds a new depth of understanding to the experience of life. It provides a richer context. You still have emotion. You still feel good. You still feel bad. You are still alive, but your aliveness is more vibrant. And yes, you still get pissed off sometimes. You still get angry. You still feel stress. But these "negative" feelings hold less gravity. They are more fleeting.

That's my experience. Yours may differ. But regardless of how we individually process spiritual growth, I am happy for all who are on the path. :)

Thank you for this. It's been difficult to harmonize being nothingness (or insert preferred word here) with still having a human body. It is like I am anchored now though; as much as I flow with the waves (emotions, etc.), I return to the center. It's not even my own doing. It's now my natural disposition. I heard once, "Don't resist your resistance," and that was powerful for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Yes, but we are talking about different things. Awareness burns on, but we are also human beings. Human beings have human experiences. I feel it is important to understand this, otherwise we risk becoming dissassociated, which is less like awareness and more like denial.

It does someone little good to set up the expectation that awareness equals total bliss. Maybe ultimately this is true (I am NOT there and do not seek that), but for many on the path, if they grow towards awareness, achieve a level of understanding but still feel emotional pain, instead of embracing what they do have they may give up and turn around over what they are still missing.

This seems to be one of those both/and not either/or things. Sometimes when I am particularly still, I don't feel either peace *or* unrest. I feel nothing, not even emptiness. It's like laying on the bottom of the ocean where it's so dark and still that you can't perceive anything. That's the best I can't describe it. Still, there are waves on the top. Sometimes I'm identified with the stillness, sometimes the waves.

Edited by lifeaftercheckmate
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, lifeaftercheckmate said:

This seems to be one of those both/and not either/or things. Sometimes when I am particularly still, I don't feel either peace *or* unrest. I feel nothing, not even emptiness. It's like laying on the bottom of the ocean where it's so dark and still that you can't perceive anything. That's the best I can't describe it. Still, there are waves on the top. Sometimes I'm identified with the stillness, sometimes the waves.

Hi Andi,

What you have gone through is poetically beautiful. I had gone through worse experiences. I will not divulge as I do not wish to put negative words on others' minds.

- LimA

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi Andi,

What you have gone through is poetically beautiful. I had gone through worse experiences. I will not divulge as I do not wish to put negative words on others' minds.

- LimA

It wasn't fun getting here. I'll tell you that much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lifeaftercheckmate said:

It wasn't fun getting here. I'll tell you that much.

Hi Andi,

But you have started the spiritual journey yourself and there is no U-turn.

Go for the marathon run.

Although it has little fun.

Soon you'll see the sun.

And you'll eat nice buns.

You surely can sort yourself out. Want to bet?

- LimA

15 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Andi,

But you have started the spiritual journey yourself and there is no U-turn.

Go for the marathon run.

Although it has little fun.

Soon you'll see the sun.

And you'll eat nice buns.

You surely can sort yourself out. Want to bet?

- LimA

I'm just along for the ride. The Tao does nothing but leaves nothing undone. 🙃

• Like 1

I'm just along for the ride. The Tao does nothing but leaves nothing undone. 🙃

Hi Andi,

Great. Much ado about nothing.

love.png

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

Ah, but that's the fun of playing a fictional character in this life story. :) ...as long as I don't forget that's it's just a story...

Yes you had said this in your opening post - "We are not humans experiencing consciousness; we are consciousness masquerading as humans".

• Like 1