Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 13:3

Long ago, Shun inquired of Yao, saying, "As king appointed by heaven, how do you use your mind?"

"I am not arrogant toward those who have no one to whom they appeal; I do not abandon the poor people," said Yao.  "I grieve for those who die, commend young children, and sympathize with women.  This is how I use my mind."

"This is fine, all right," said Shun, "but it's not great."

"Well, then;" said Yao, "what would you have me do?"

"Heaven ascends, earth is calm; the sun and moon shine, and the four seasons proceed;" said Shun.  "Be regular as the alternation of day and night, beneficent as the clouds that march through the sky and dispense their rain."

"How majestic and grand!" said Yao.  "You, sir, are a match for heaven; I am but a match for man."

Heaven and earth are what the ancients hold to be great, and what the Yellow Emperor, Yao, and Shun join in admiring.  Therefore, what did the ancients who were kings of all under heaven do?  They conformed to heaven and earth, and that is all.
  • Like 1

It suggests that though yao is a benevolent leader by normal standards , Shun doesnt consider him great in heavenly terms because he takes an active interest in his people. 

I am unsure of the intent of that final bit. Perhaps it says that the great kings are most benevolent By being impartial and dispassionate rather than securing one at the expense of the other.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this