Phoenix3

Are hot soups the best meal to have to build Qi?

They have no starch, grains or dairy. And are very easy for the digestive system to digest (don’t require a lot of qi to digest). 

What could go wrong, right? 

• Like 1

Stop with the *grains myth please. So much misinformation on this forum

about this and other issues.

The Golden Rule(s):

1. Eat seasonally

2. Eat according to your geographical location, ie it would be foolish to eat like an Inuit if we live in Egypt.

3. Eat locally grown/produced foods

4. Eat slowly and mindfully away from any external distractions

5. Yes soups are an excellent way of eating a meal that is easy to digest but so is eating a chicken or chickpea Tikka Massala curry served on brown rice with coriander as garnish and naan bread. Hence, variety is the key!.

6. One size does not fit all. Bear this in mind:

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/lifestyles/food_diet_advice_body_constitutions.html

*Pearl barley (Yi Yi Ren) is a grain but in fact this truly amazing cereal is one of the best foods that drains dampness from the system.

Further advice:

http://m.dw.com/en/healthy-eating-in-traditional-chinese-medicine/a-18619239

http://innerlight-wellness.net/the-chinese-medicine-diet/

Hope this helps! :)

Note: if you want to build Qi quickly abstain from *any sexual activity  and take Chinese herbs that **replenish Jing quickly since Jing is the mother of Qi.

**Seek Chinese Medicine treatment for a tailored formula according to your condition.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have trouble with brahmacharya (just can’t ever get past 2 weeks. I always fail on the 2 week mark), and I believe I have a kidney yin deficiency so I can’t have too much spice (like curries) unfortunately. Also there are no good tcm clinics nearby (the few which are somewhat nearby seem to be fraudulent/scam clinics judging by online reviews) and I don’t know anywhere where I can buy ingredients to make the herbal mixtures you recommended :( I looked and could only come across a few untrustworthy tcm websites with quality i don’t trust.

Stop with the *grains myth please.

Doesn’t grains cause inflammation of the digestive lining though?

You say that everyone suffers from dampness but I seem to be the opposite. I seem to naturally be the dry type (skinny, very high metabolism, can’t gain any weight, easily thirsty, etc) and nowadays I’m more yang because of my failures in brahmacharya (very hot lower dantian, sometimes have insomnia).

thanks for your answers as always

Edited by Phoenix3
  • Thanks 1

Follow the dietary advice I provided above including all the links. Variety of foods not eating bread 2-3 meals a day 7/365. I never said that. :)

Forgot another rule:

7. Do not eat past 3pm or at least after sunset.

Celibacy troubles?

You need to work hard on the lower centres and purify all your internal organs. IMA like Ba Gua and Xingyi are good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can’t self-diagnose and start taking Yin tonics if you happen to have an underlying damp-heat condition for example. Clear heat, drain dampness first then tonify Kidney-Liver afterwards. You need to seek professional advice, I’m afraid.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gerard said:

Forgot another rule:

7. Do not eat past 3pm or at least after sunset.

13 hours ago, Gerard said:

So much misinformation on this forum

• Haha 1

I agree with Gerard - excellent rules, very useful. As for the question that was raised in a topic, specifically, are hot soups the best meal to have to build Qi, I should say that hot soups are very good in this. Especially, if they are master soups like Chinese soups, that are cooked for many hours in order to accumulate ample amount of Qi. Those hot soups are great for building postnatal Qi and supplying kidneys. 

• Like 2

Anyone tried adding lotus root to soups?  Super super nutritious! 

Its a versatile root too - can be used many different ways. Salads, stir-fries, chippy crisps... 

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/lotus-root.html

My fav is still adding it to a nice pot of soup consisting of pork ribs, pork eye bones, peanuts, sun-dried chinese dates, carrots, and some goji berries. Grill the bones first for enhanced flavours. 

something like this: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, C T said:

Anyone tried adding lotus root to soups?  Super super nutritious! 

Its a versatile root too - can be used many different ways. Salads, stir-fries, chippy crisps... 

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/lotus-root.html

My fav is still adding it to a nice pot of soup consisting of pork ribs, pork eye bones, peanuts, sun-dried chinese dates, carrots, and some goji berries. Grill the bones first for enhanced flavours. 

something like this: 

Wooow that looks super tasty and easy. Doing that tomorrow! :) Except I don't have dates and I don't think I'll find that root anywhere near me, so parsnip has to suffice lol.

7 hours ago, Rickie said:

I think you can eat pretty much what you want just eat moderately. 

I don’t think so. We are humans not hyaenas.

Foods are like herbs. Just make sure that you eat what is right for you or food can actually mess up your entire energetic system...like taking the wrong herbs.

Where does the hyena come into this?   Their scavengers. 

I agree, food can mess up your energy system, especially if you eat too much ( my opinion the number one error) or too much of one thing. (the number two error), that stimulates your taste buds.

The following Chinese Medicine practitioner offers a tailored diet according to your Ba Zi using specific software developed by himself. It's not free though. I know the man and I can vouch for him. He has been practising CM and Qigong + meditation for over 40 years.

Reno Acupuncture

Good luck and I hope this is all helpful. :) 

• Thanks 1

Another great ingredient for soups, especially in the cooler months, are dried scallops (gan bei). 

An added benefit of using dried scallops is reduction (or elimination) of using salt as they produce enough salty flavour.

Another helpful article:

Healthy habits after eating.

:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bone broth is a little secret in the fighting community for strength. I wonder if it's good chi directly, or indirectly through jing>chi ? Have yet to try this good food, myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Bone broth is the beginning of soup. This will replace and replenish the flora of the digestive system if stripped away by antibiotic use or poor health. Marrow is extremely beneficial. energy conversion is quick and easy for digestion to absorb.

Abstinence from grains means fasting and rules apply. 

Be thankful to eat. Digestion begins in the mouth the more food  is broken down and transmuted by sylvia the more beneficial food is to our bodies. Intention of what we have to eat as a positive thing has an energetic effect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

the more beneficial food is to our bodies

YES. But I will argue, from experience too, exercise and semen trasmutation sadhana such as deep meditation, pranayama, etc. are much more important to the digestion process. From food to chyle>blood>flesh>muscle>bone>marrow>semen in a subtle state existent in all the cells of the body. Sitting for hours a day like they do in public education camps or office jobs is way worse than not chewing properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well take care of  body first before you get confused about semen. If there is  little food to process digestion is not a topic. Now if we are talking about swallowing semen I understand some relevance to a soup topic.I hear it is very salty.

Edited by Wu Ming Jen
  • Haha 1

On 13.05.2018 at 1:55 PM, Arramu said:

Bone broth is a little secret in the fighting community for strength. I wonder if it's good chi directly, or indirectly through jing>chi ? Have yet to try this good food, myself.

I agree. A good bone broth could gives a lot of qi!
But in fact good Chinese cuisine always gives a lot of qi. All products contain qi, the main thing is that food products have good quality, and the cooking itself is properly opened and kept qi in food. As much as I know Chinese traditional cuisine cares about achieving such results.

• Like 1

This was rather interesting to see and good advise.  I found some bone, as is in many chinese markets ergo, bone and marrow to boil down to a soup.  So I bought it. I asked my wife (chinese) how she would use it.  She boiled it and made a soup with other added items.

I considered what exact animal provided this.  I began to look at his/her life to provide this to me.  I saw this animal playing among others.   

I wondered if there will come a day where human  bones are boiled as a soup.