Sign in to follow this  
Maddie

Mantra

I wish to discuss mantra as a practice more so than any one specific mantra. I have recently returned to mantra as my primary practice and can say from personal experience that nothing has given me the results that I get from mantra. I realize this is my personal experience and that other people's experiences will vary but I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences with mantras as well as how other people find the practice of mantra for them compares to other practices. For those who do incorporate mantra as a practice I would be interested to know which mantra(s) you use, and what your experiences with them have been, good, bad, or neither. I would also be interested in experiences with other forms of chanting and prayer as well. 

• Like 1

One night, in the liver hour, I woke with white hot panic crawling up the back of my neck.

It was accompanied by a deluge of horrific anxiety driven fear thoughts.

As this continued to crescendo into un sustainable levels, a short mantra began in my mind.  I simply allowed this sponataneous mantra to over shout to thoughts until only peace remained.

I have no formal mantra practice, but I will silently sing these personal from time to time, with beautiful effect.

Physics explains that everything is vibration.  While I never chant this mantra aloud.  I have found ohming and neutral, deep humming to have profounf resonant qualities in both body and non bodily awareness.

• Like 1

The Tibetan Buddhist and tantric explanation of mantras is that if you chant mantras related to Buddhas or Enlightened beings, you are effectively transforming karma instead of just cultivating the ordinary and coarse respitory energy that has limited benefits. Tantra is all about transforming the impure mind to pure.

I'll add a closing thought. Chanting mantras makes you a more efficient yogi because you are not limited to specific static or dynamic posture sequences. You can carry on chanting aloud or silently in your daily life and still get extra benefit.

Edited by senseless virtue
revision and clarity
  • Like 4

Due to habitual formations and latent tendencies, the coarse mind tends to be agitated more often than remaining in its pure natural state. Chanting the right mantra(s) help to remove the potential for further agitations to fester, it shakes loose the roots of agitations that have already been formed, and also it increases the potential for reaching buddhahood. All three work integrally and simultaneously. Cause and effect are not-two! 

It is said that the mother of all mantras is the Prajnaparamita mantra - Gate gate paragate, parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!

(Tibetan) 

(Sanskrit)

• Like 3

My main method is muraqaba, Sufi meditation on the heart. To complement this, it is advised to practice dhikr (remembrance of Allah) throughout the day during normal activities.

The mantra, or recitation used is La ilaha illa allah ( There is no god, only Allah).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmattwads said:

I wish to discuss mantra as a practice more so than any one specific mantra. I have recently returned to mantra as my primary practice and can say from personal experience that nothing has given me the results that I get from mantra. I realize this is my personal experience and that other people's experiences will vary but I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences with mantras as well as how other people find the practice of mantra for them compares to other practices. For those who do incorporate mantra as a practice I would be interested to know which mantra(s) you use, and what your experiences with them have been, good, bad, or neither. I would also be interested in experiences with other forms of chanting and prayer as well. 

Your post is the omen of an interesting weekend! I'm hoping it will be :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this