Looking on The Dao Bums Member Map reminds me that its a big world, so much to see.  I wanna visit the Islands off the West Coast.   Santa Rosa, The Channel Islands, Catalina, San Clementa, Isla Cornado..

I'd like to rent a sleep-in Van, ride from Washington State, down to Tijuana.  Take my time, zig'n zag, see the sites.  Wonder if I can buy one from CarMax drive it and resell it all in a couple weeks? 

Or this place has relatively cheap rates. https://www.cruiseamerica.com/

their Compact RV, with toilet, shower, 2 burners, furnace, AC.. looks pretty nice.  If I could wrap it up with enough floaties I could probably paddle it out to the islands  <kidding>

addon> What about you guys.. where are your dream spots?

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

I like places that feel like they exist in some alternate dimension, at least the end of the road if not the universe.  A hot springs near Fields, Oregon at the base of Steens Mountain.  The "pueblo magico" of Real de Catorce, a small Mexican ghost town of sorts at 9,000 feet.  

I`d love to travel to Mount Kailash in Tibet though I`m not sure if I`ll ever have the money or the karma.  It`s more likely I`ll make it to Parque Nacional Sierra de Pedro Martir.

• Like 3

I never had an actual bucket list, until last night, when I first saw this photo of Zion National Park in Utah.

Zion-National-Park-River-USA.jpg

• Like 6

my 2018 dream destination...

its a deeply spiritual place, aside from the touristy aspects of it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aetherous said:

I never had an actual bucket list, until last night, when I first saw this photo of Zion National Park in Utah.

The Narrows are the place to visit in this natural wonder. 

extra_large_8f644e2fa5a9ec11bc6fe251fec2

zion-narrows-3.jpg

• Like 6

A friend just visited this site yesterday, and insists that when I go to Lombok, I must hop over to Bali (neighbouring island) and make a pilgrimage to this magnificently placed temple.. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Wear warm clothing!

That wouldn't help if I went climbing the mountain that spawned me in winter -- I've lived in the city with the mildest climate on the planet for too long.  But in July the temperature in Altai comes up to 68 F, and that's just like our January here in SoCal.  This, I can handle.  :)    

• Like 2

On 1/14/2018 at 10:09 AM, Aetherous said:

Yeah, it's pretty nice B) .  Went for a long weekend to the Red Mountain Spa (https://www.redmountainresort.com/calendar), which had its own amazing hikes, and Zion was just an hour and half drive away.  Very worth it. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 1:58 PM, thelerner said:

Looking on The Dao Bums Member Map reminds me that its a big world, so much to see.  I wanna visit the Islands off the West Coast.   Santa Rosa, The Channel Islands, Catalina, San Clementa, Isla Cornado..

I'd like to rent a sleep-in Van, ride from Washington State, down to Tijuana.  Take my time, zig'n zag, see the sites.  Wonder if I can buy one from CarMax drive it and resell it all in a couple weeks? 

Or this place has relatively cheap rates. https://www.cruiseamerica.com/

their Compact RV, with toilet, shower, 2 burners, furnace, AC.. looks pretty nice.  If I could wrap it up with enough floaties I could probably paddle it out to the islands  <kidding>

addon> What about you guys.. where are your dream spots?

You don't need a van, a car and a tent is good enough, it is easier and faster and convenient. Catalina Island, I was not impressed, it is $100 ferry trip and there is no much to see there. Other islands are okay, IMO.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 4:51 PM, CityHermit! said:

I'd like to visit the Pacific Northwest myself.

On 5/18/2018 at 4:51 PM, CityHermit! said:

I'd like to visit the Pacific Northwest myself.

walking, cycling or driving?

On 5/22/2018 at 10:40 PM, Mig said:

walking, cycling or driving?

Probably the train. I enjoy train rides across the country. They give me a closer view to the landscape than a plane flight and even though they take longer than flying I like to use that extra time to read more. I am also very put off by invasive TSA procedures. But yeah, I'd probably take the train there. If I drove that might be a lot on my car. I have relatives, friends and family friends who have been in the area or still live there so they would be able to show me things to check out. I definitely would like to do some hiking. Well, hopefully I get to go sometime.

Edited by CityHermit!
had less free time to make a longer post earlier