oak

Self-massage Qigong

I'm all for self-message. Please share your experiance and suggestions.

I think this is a nice video to start with:

• Like 1

Luohan Patting System of Yin Style Bagua, have no experience with it but it should be good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KuroShiro said:

Luohan Patting System of Yin Style Bagua, have no experience with it but it should be good.

Thanks for this KuroShiro. May not be able to watch all the videos today but will watch them all :)

Look into sitting 8 pieces of brocade. Acupressure, tapping, vibration, rubbing self massage all included. I do these everyday as well as people that never heard about these techniques all very natural things to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Look into sitting 8 pieces of brocade. Acupressure, tapping, vibration, rubbing self massage all included. I do these everyday as well as people that never heard about these techniques all very natural things to do. 

Already know the sitting 8 pieces which are great and exploring all of those technniques and always open to new ideas :) there's always someone who finds something new and important that others may not notice, and sometimes it's as obvious as tapping. Thanks Wu Ming Jen.

• Like 1

Hi, I would like to hear your experience about mixing self massage in this style and Xiang Gong or Eight Brocades or any other Qigong style, especially if it led to some problems or similar. Also, if you experienced some way to improve self massage regarding to times of the day, after or before qigong practice and so on!

Edited by Victor
  • Like 2

I've done lots of various massage over the year to include energy based ones... but please check out Myofascial Release... it was a game change for many issues. 

• Like 1

In my practice in Tenaga Dalam most of our movements are self message but it generates tremendous energy in the chakras and in turn makes the body strong and healthy.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2018 at 9:18 AM, SirYuri said:

In my practice in Tenaga Dalam most of our movements are self message but it generates tremendous energy in the chakras and in turn makes the body strong and healthy.

Can you supply us with more information ? Thanks.

Yes, we pat the body but not quite as hard as this.

Also, light stretching of the eyes is supposed to help stop wrinkles and also grip and release the left armpit for a good heart.

• Like 2

On 11/07/2018 at 8:31 PM, oak said:

Can you supply us with more information ? Thanks.

The complete movements and breathing is a bit hard to describe each of it here. But each movement pertains to most of the organs and chakra and as you go up the ladder what happens is a Total Face and Body Rejuvenation and the Combat application is only a bonus.

Self-massage Qigong can be beneficial. I've seen a good self-massage activating the gull bladder meridian - tapping down the legs outside for 5-10 minutes. This to be done better during the first half of the day and not later than 20:00, I believe.

Regards,

Kara

• Like 1

I am not familiar with the self massage in Qigong.  But there is a similar procedure in Ayurveda called Abhyanga.  I am familiar with Abhyanga and feel it has numerous benefits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhyanga

https://chopra.com/articles/the-benefits-of-ayurveda-self-massage-“abhyanga”

https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/ayurvedic-living/living-ayurveda/lifestyle/self-oil-massage/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kara_mia said:

Self-massage Qigong can be beneficial. I've seen a good self-massage activating the gull bladder meridian - tapping down the legs outside for 5-10 minutes. This to be done better during the first half of the day and not later than 20:00, I believe.

Regards,

Kara

Yeah, tapping the body really puts energy moving and wakes you up. Better not to do it at night if you want to have a good night sleep.

14 minutes ago, s1va said:

I am not familiar with the self massage in Qigong.  But there is a similar procedure in Ayurveda called Abhyanga.  I am familiar with Abhyanga and feel it has numerous benefits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhyanga

https://chopra.com/articles/the-benefits-of-ayurveda-self-massage-“abhyanga”

https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/ayurvedic-living/living-ayurveda/lifestyle/self-oil-massage/

Thanks for the links s1va. I will check them :)

• Like 1

I utilise it to close my morning daoyin which is ordinary light stretches, squats, sitting and standing 8 brocades/other similar variation, sun salutation, taichi chuan (to get things moving) and then a good whacking and rub-down....20 minutes tops and both cylinders firing.

Similar to this (If I miss doing it now, I know about it all day long...sluggish):

Daoyin Self-massage

Bamboo Massage Brush

• Like 1

Interesting to see this arise again... made me think I can share a few more ideas:

1. I was taught by my taiji master, a taiwan acupuncturist, to slap the entire meridian cycle.  It is a bit challenging to explain but if you find a chart showing the 12 merdian ordered and then slap them in succession, as you move up the body and then down.. over and over... to wake all the children up.    I'd have to find a picture or explanation if someone really wants to understand it.  

2. One interesting thing I learned from medical qigong (under JAJ) is how to get to the kidneys themself.   Sit in a chair and slap the front of your knee caps towards your back (ie: kidneys). 

3. Affect the Liver:  Slap it several times... which only purges... but you want to nourish it.. so follow up with sending energy with same hand that just slapped.  

3. Anyone serious about all of this should know the acupressure points in the foot for kidney, liver, spleen, stomach, and along the hand arms... and the chest points... and finally what each finger/arm represents.   

• Like 3