Sign in to follow this  
windwalker

Dabeiquan

I met this teacher a long while back...Very interesting style 

"Zhang Wei Dong's master, Teacher Qiao was in is early eighties in this video. His stances are not low, but you can still feel his skill. "Dabei Zhou" is the Mandarin name for the Buddhist Compassion Sutra. "Dabei Quan" is the physical practice of that mantra. This is not a style of Taiji ... nor of yoga ... but something unique in between. This is also commonly called "Shaolin Dabei Tuoluo Ni Quan".

The movements are said to have come from the static movements of buddhist guardian deities linked together. 

."

Yoga student and Wu Style Taijiquan Champion Wang Chun Ming learning Dabeiquan. Filmed at BLCU (Beijing, China) Spring 2009.

The physical practice of the Buddhist Great Compassion Mantra. Dabeiquan is not Taiji ... nor Yoga ... But something unique and in between. This practice travelled from India to China between 400-600AD. After the 13th Century Dabeiquan faded from common view. Most current practitioners trace their lineage back to the Shaolin Temple system. Hence, the strong wushu flavor of most modern Dabeiquan."

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Astral Monk said:

Interesting. What is the purpose of the form, the movements?

8)

"DaBeiQuan (“Great Compassion Fist”) began in Beijing in the early 20th century. After a personal tragedy, the buddhist monk QiYun turned to the teachings of the Great Compassion Mantra ("DaBei Zhou"). A spoken ritual, QiYun repeated it many times during dedicated practice until he recovered. He then named this unique style after the text that helped him through this difficult time."

I read some place that the postures where copied from buddhist guardian deities  and linked together forming the style. 

Lao Zhang Shrfu Master of Chen TaiChi, PaoChui, and DaBeiQuan

http://flyingtortoiseacademy.com/artform/dabeiquan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nīlakaṇṭha_Dhāraṇī

Had I not stumbled into taiji, this is something that I think I would have pursued  a close friend of mine practiced the style and introduced me to her teacher .the one I mentioned in the earlier post. 

On this site with many into buddhist and doaist practices I felt it might be something that might add or help them in their own practices.  For me this practice is very honest and straightforward, not really subjected to some of the things that plague taiji.

disclaimer: not affiliated with any of the sites or teachers I use for supportive information.other then ones I specifically have met or know of..

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this