Lost in Translation

Peer Pressure & Social Media

Things which are thought to be affirmative get lumped as good , and dissuasive stuff,is lumped as bad. 

So if you are sweet and gentle about someone elses self destructive actions , or perpetuate misery of that person by giving them a big hug whenever they are self defeating, you can still get a personal rating as good. 

On the other hand , you are honest about a difficult subject someone doesnt want to deal with, you get labeled as harsh.

Thats just how it is. 

• Like 1

But any emotional impact you have on others or others on you , is actually a pressure of sorts aint it? Most people will want to protect themself from the accusation of being affected by group dynamics. Which means, they dont consider the other people as significant to them emotionally.

• Like 1

I was thinking recently about high school (secondary school). I remember being a certain way in high school. I really wanted to change but it was difficult because everyone there had history with me. When I graduated and went to college, and then the military, I was able to reinvent myself and let the baggage of the past go. I was able to do this in large part because the people I met had no history with me. They knew only that which I chose to present to them. This was liberty.

The unfortunate youths of today will never know this freedom. Thanks to the Internet and social media they are doomed to forever carry the past forward with them on public display. It's not possible for the new friends in college to not know about your school days since they can literally read about it online. This is the opposite of liberty.

I hope that more people awaken to this fact.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

I was thinking recently about high school (secondary school). I remember being a certain way in high school. I really wanted to change but it was difficult because everyone there had history with me. When I graduated and went to college, and then the military, I was able to reinvent myself and let the baggage of the past go. I was able to do this in large part because the people I met had no history with me. They knew only that which I chose to present to them. This was liberty.

The unfortunate youths of today will never know this freedom. Thanks to the Internet and social media they are doomed to forever carry the past forward with them on public display. It's not possible for the new friends in college to not know about your school days since they can literally read about it online. This is the opposite of liberty.

I hope that more people awaken to this fact.

I'm not so sure its social media at fault, though I agree there is an issue needing fixin'.

It appears an issue as old as any of these here texts.

• Like 1

I liked Facebook a lot more before the "like" button...

made things more about expression, feedback, and less about approval.

• Like 1

It is a sad fact that Social Media holds greater importance to the young and the immature. They have a need to "fit in" to be like the majority, the "In Crowd." It takes a very grown up person not to care what others think of them.

Does the grown up require to be liked or even agreed with? As we mature and leave our salad days behind it should be hoped that we acquire the wisdom to see what matters and what does not.

• Like 1