Sulo Eno

Non-Taoists, Non-Buddhists?

On 1/15/2018 at 5:17 AM, Limahong said:

Hi Sulo Eno,

lao-tzu-lao-tzu-when-virtue-is-lost-benevolence-appears-when.jpg

benevolence-is-one-of-the-distinguishing-characters-of-man-quote-1.jpg

- LimA

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are directing these quotes at me. 

On 1/15/2018 at 1:07 PM, vonkrankenhaus said:

Yes, "atheists" use this article in online arguments about "religion".

People assume the article is about "whether Jesus existed or not", etc.

But do you have an article that debunks the history and politics discussed in that Mithras article?

-VonKrankenhaus

No. I have not sought such an article. The burden of proof is on the more outrageous claim. I do admit to being a bit snobbish when it comes to academic and pseudo-academic articles. The linked article has--in my view--irrelevant footnotes, that is, few to underscore the big claims. It's the sort of stuff you find on the History Channel.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:34 AM, blue eyed snake said:

yeah, defining what you mean with a term is often at the core of ( mis) communicating

To me, the word religion can mean ( at least ;)) two things

One is a set of rules and a way to live that is proscribes by for instance a certain church, as in katholicism/ protestantism, but also Hinduism and lots of others.

The other meaning is what it really means for me. religion is a way to go back to the source, I think every religion ( as in the first definition) started out as a way to go back to the source. But only rarely will people find their way in the institutionalized churches.

Concerning the answers on existential questions, i think when you, yourself, try to find the way back to the source, those answers will unveil themselves, slowly. For that i do not want a religion that gives me the answers....

When I say I do not regard Daoism as a religion, I mean that to me it is a way to go back to the source. ( even though I do know that there is a sort of institutionalized Daoism too, but to me that is not daoism)

My text is not very clear today...

so, what I meant was: to me Catholicism is a religion as in a institutionalized religion, my sort of Daoism is free of that.

But I can see that every way of worship, including Catholicism, is ( at it's root) a way to go to the source.

For me that means I can bow to Jesus, prostrate for Quan yin, find guidance in Daoism and remain just

BES

I think there are too many terms here that are either esoteric or vague for me to comment. I just don't agree about this "source". I believe that there are objective truths. I don't believe in syncretism.

16 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

I'm not sure why you are directing these quotes at me.

Hi Sulo Eno,

Nothing was directed at you. The quotes surfaced complementary to this from you - "Only an act of benevolence continues to sustain life".

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.