Sulo Eno

Non-Taoists, Non-Buddhists?

51 minutes ago, Bud Jetsun said:

Does your religion involve a single omnipotent God who is all things in all places at all times? 

Does it mention the kingdom of God is inside you, recognizing you are also inherently an aspect of the same omnipotent presence? 

The rest is filler. 

Unlimited Love, 

-Bud

That isn't how it works, at least in Catholicism. We aren't omnipotent beings by extension (the Kingdom of God being "within" and God being omnipotent). We don't understand the Biblical texts as you suggest.

Best regards.

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi Sulo Eno,

I will never correct anyone at TDB. Why? I am a nobody.

I learn of 'eschatology' through you. It is not a common word. So I quoted Wikipedia for sharing with others at large. Apparently I had made a wrong move.

- LimA

No problem.

If I am wrong, I would like to know. Many people here know things I don't and I can accept that (even though it is human to want to know everything). I think it is a vain man indeed who feels offense at being corrected, especially if the correction is made out of good will.

Regards.

1 hour ago, Bud Jetsun said:

Not omnipotent if divisible. 

I don't know what you're actually trying to say here with reference to God, religion, etc. Catholic theology makes a clear point of saying the Trinity is indivisible (if you are referring to this).

Edited by Sulo Eno

32 minutes ago, Sulo Eno said:

I don't know what you're actually trying to say here with reference to God, religion, etc. Catholic theology makes a clear point of saying the Trinity is indivisible (if you are referring to this).

Omnipresence Omnipotence means God in all places giving rise to all beings and all things through all times.  Light shines down the forests and sewers alike and the light is no less magnificent.  Flavors of religion are each like someones finger pointing to the same beautiful moon.  The trick is not to master some set of constructs or rituals for labeling the moon, but to appreciate the real of this one fleeting moment between birth and death which the indivisible Oneness creates in a dependently arising manifestation.  Breaking appreciation of the indivisible whole into parts with labels is the same point which all religions equally fall into expressions of mans confusion rather than appreciation of God/creation/universe. 

All religion's successfully completed end in the same appreciation of the real which is inherently of God and exists only in this moment.  Christ was not a Christian and Buddha not a Buddhist, but liberated beings sharing in compassion ways other beings may also join them.  The immortal spirit inside each being is not impressed by mindless words and rituals or categorizing words and rituals, but indifferently awaits to be discovered inside you like a precious gem beyond all earthly value. 

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bud Jetsun said:

The immortal spirit inside each being is not impressed by mindless words and rituals or categorizing words and rituals, but indifferently awaits to be discovered inside you like a precious gem beyond all earthly value.

Good morning Bud Jetsun,

Thank you. I await indifferenty in silence.

- LimA

1 hour ago, Bud Jetsun said:

Omnipresence Omnipotence means God in all places giving rise to all beings and all things through all times.  Light shines down the forests and sewers alike and the light is no less magnificent.  Flavors of religion are each like someones finger pointing to the same beautiful moon.  The trick is not to master some set of constructs or rituals for labeling the moon, but to appreciate the real of this one fleeting moment between birth and death which the indivisible Oneness creates in a dependently arising manifestation.  Breaking appreciation of the indivisible whole into parts with labels is the same point which all religions equally fall into expressions of mans confusion rather than appreciation of God/creation/universe. 

All religion's successfully completed end in the same appreciation of the real which is inherently of God and exists only in this moment.  Christ was not a Christian and Buddha not a Buddhist, but liberated beings sharing in compassion ways other beings may also join them.  The immortal spirit inside each being is not impressed by mindless words and rituals or categorizing words and rituals, but indifferently awaits to be discovered inside you like a precious gem beyond all earthly value. 

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Omnipresent and omnipotent means God is all-present and all-powerful. It does not mean he there is any necessity for Him to intervene and sustain life. If you add omniscient (all-knowing) as a characteristic it still doesn't necessitate His intervening in our lives and essentially keeping us and our world in existence (and alive). Only an act of benevolence continues to sustain life. I don't believe that there are "flavors of religion", nor do I believe all religions are essentially the same. I don't believe Jesus was simply and enlightened being. I do believe our immortal souls are, in fact, impressed by words and rituals.

I thank you for your thoughts. It is nice to be able to civilly discuss these matters. However, I think our opinions differ greatly. 

Best regards.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Sulo Eno said:

Ha ha...

Isn't this something you would know about yourself? Is it how you would label yourself anyway?

I don't want to take the label too seriously.  I know lots just never enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickie said:

I don't want to take the label too seriously.  I know lots just never enough.

It is a matter of self-identification. Any time you make an "I am..." statement, a description (quite probably, a label, follows). We do this with the outside world: "these are flowers", "those are tires". You seem to have an ambivalent relationship with self-identification and describing the world-at-large. (Maybe I don't understand your position).

Thanks.

• Like 2

"ambivalent relationship with self-identification and describing the world-at-large"

and I am not understanding you,  What do you mean? 

I try not to be "too" ridged in my thinking.  I try not to have absolutes that may limit my understanding stuff.  Stuff is a deliberate vague and broad word.  Everything we have and everything that exists is just stuff. 

I am flowers, I am tire, I am also not a tire or flowers. Once we are one thing we are also not the thing.

We are the stuff of everything and also not the stuff of everything.

Stuff comes from no stuff so until I am no stuff I will be and not be at the same time, separated and confused, never knowing the true source of self attaching labels for some kind of identification and uniqueness different from all things. I am this but not that,

The true emptiness that is not empty can reconcile the difference as we become one with all things. We all use the same light no matter what labels we choose to be and how we create the I am. What makes us different also makes us the same.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 3:05 PM, Sulo Eno said:

I enjoy discussing religion, so long as people remain calm and reasonable. Taoism in non-exclusive, as I understand (insofar as a Taoist can accept other religious ideas and philosophies). Catholicism (and other monotheistic religions) are exclusive, as they do not allow accepting other religious ideas. The atheist's position, intellectually, is difficult to defend, in my view. That's another post though.

I do not regard Taoism as a religion, the Chinese teacher whose teaching I follow is a Catholic btw. 

He seems to be able to do the both of them and doing both of them very well too,

welcome at the taobums

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

That last one is supposedly from Albert Einstein.

Good morning Dada-da,

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results - Albert Einstein

albertagain10.jpg

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters. - Albert Einstein

The only source of knowledge is experience. - Albert Einstein

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstein

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. - Albert Einstein

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. - Albert Einstein

Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking. - Albert Einstein

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish. - Albert Einstein

- LimA

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 9:25 AM, Wu Ming Jen said:

I am flowers, I am tire, I am also not a tire or flowers. Once we are one thing we are also not the thing.

We are the stuff of everything and also not the stuff of everything.

Stuff comes from no stuff so until I am no stuff I will be and not be at the same time, separated and confused, never knowing the true source of self attaching labels for some kind of identification and uniqueness different from all things. I am this but not that,

The true emptiness that is not empty can reconcile the difference as we become one with all things. We all use the same light no matter what labels we choose to be and how we create the I am. What makes us different also makes us the same.

I don't view the world the same way. 

I suppose I am more "Western" in my application of reason.

On 1/8/2018 at 3:44 PM, blue eyed snake said:

I do not regard Taoism as a religion, the Chinese teacher whose teaching I follow is a Catholic btw. 

He seems to be able to do the both of them and doing both of them very well too,

welcome at the taobums

Thanks. I appreciate the thought and the welcome. I enjoy keeping things amicable between everyone. Truly wanting the best for everyone. Then again, that's why people discuss issues they think are important. 

I can understand that you might not regard Taoism as a religion. However, it depends on how you define "religion". I think most people believe religion concerns systems that answer existential questions, have a supernatural element, have rituals, etc. In some sense I could see how most far-eastern religions are more philosophical than "religious", especially Confucianism. Yet, in most books, Buddhism and Taoism make the cut.

Regards

On 1/5/2018 at 8:41 AM, Sulo Eno said:

Only an act of benevolence continues to sustain life.

Hi Sulo Eno,

lao-tzu-lao-tzu-when-virtue-is-lost-benevolence-appears-when.jpg

benevolence-is-one-of-the-distinguishing-characters-of-man-quote-1.jpg

- LimA

yeah, defining what you mean with a term is often at the core of ( mis) communicating

To me, the word religion can mean ( at least ;)) two things

One is a set of rules and a way to live that is proscribes by for instance a certain church, as in katholicism/ protestantism, but also Hinduism and lots of others.

The other meaning is what it really means for me. religion is a way to go back to the source, I think every religion ( as in the first definition) started out as a way to go back to the source. But only rarely will people find their way in the institutionalized churches.

Concerning the answers on existential questions, i think when you, yourself, try to find the way back to the source, those answers will unveil themselves, slowly. For that i do not want a religion that gives me the answers....

When I say I do not regard Daoism as a religion, I mean that to me it is a way to go back to the source. ( even though I do know that there is a sort of institutionalized Daoism too, but to me that is not daoism)

My text is not very clear today...

so, what I meant was: to me Catholicism is a religion as in a institutionalized religion, my sort of Daoism is free of that.

But I can see that every way of worship, including Catholicism, is ( at it's root) a way to go to the source.

For me that means I can bow to Jesus, prostrate for Quan yin, find guidance in Daoism and remain just

BES

13 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

Old hat; I've heard many times before.

I could send you to a hundred websites.

http://shamelesspopery.com/jesus-and-mithras-debunked/

Unconvincing.

Thanks.

Yes, "atheists" use this article in online arguments about "religion".

People assume the article is about "whether Jesus existed or not", etc.

But do you have an article that debunks the history and politics discussed in that Mithras article?

-VonKrankenhaus