Marblehead

Mair 13:1

The Way of heaven revolves ceaselessly, so that the myriad things are brought to completion; the Way of the emperors revolves ceaselessly, so that all under heaven return to them; the Way of the sages revolves ceaselessly, so that all within the seas submit to them.  He who understands heaven, who is conversant with the sages, and who comprehends the virtue of emperors and kings throughout the six directions of the universe and the four regions, acts spontaneously but is always obliviously still.  The stillness of the sage is not because stillness is said to be good and therefore he is still.  It is because the myriad things are unable to disturb his mind that he is still.  When water is still, it clearly reflects whiskers and brows.  It is so accurate that the great craftsman takes his standard from it.  If still water has such clarity, how much more so pure spirit!  The stillness of the mind of the sage is the mirror of heaven and earth, the looking glass of the myriad things.

Emptiness, stillness, placidity, mildness, quietude, indifference, nonaction - these are the root of heaven and earth, the substance of the Way and virtue.  Therefore, emperors, kings, and sages rest in them.  Resting, they are empty; empty, they are full; full, they are prepared.  Empty, they are still; still, they begin to move; moving, they attain.  Still, they are nonactive; nonactive, they entrust the responsibility for affairs to others.  Nonactive, they are content; content, anxiety, and trouble cannot discomfit them; so their longevity will be great.

Emptiness, stillness, placidity, mildness, quietude, indifference, nonaction - these are the root of the myriad things.  Understanding this as the south-facing ruler, Yao was lord; understanding this as the north-facing minister, Shun was his subject.  Occupying a superior position with this understanding is the virtue of emperors, kings, and the son of heaven; occupying an inferior position with this understanding is the Way of dark sages and plain kings.  Those who withdraw into retirement with this understanding and wander at leisure will win the admiration of recluses from the rivers, lakes, mountains, and forests.  Those who come forward into active life and succor the world with this understanding will achieve great accomplishments and brilliant fame by uniting all under heaven.  Still, they are sages; moving, they are kings.  Nonactive, they are respected; simple as an uncarved block, no one under heaven can contest with them for excellence.

The clear understanding of the virtue of heaven and earth is called the "great root " and "the great ancestor."  It is that whereby one is in harmony with heaven.  Evenly adjusting all under heaven with it, one may be in harmony with men.  Being in harmony with men is called "human joy."  Being in harmony with heaven is called "heavenly joy."

Master Chuang said, "My teacher, oh my teacher!  He blends the myriad things, but is not righteous; his benefits reach to a myriad generations, but he is not humane.  He is senior to high antiquity, but is not aged.  He covers heaven, supports earth, and carves out a host of forms, but is not skillful.  This is what I mean by heavenly joy.  Therefore, it is said, 'He who knows heavenly joy walks with heaven in life and evolves with things in death.  In stillness, he shares the same virtue as yin; in movement, he shares the same current as yang.'  Thus, he who knows heavenly joy will find no complaint from heaven, no censure from men, no encumbrance from things, and no reproach from ghosts.  Therefore, it is said, 'His movement is heaven; his stillness is earth.  Once his mind is fixed, heaven and earth are rectified.  His animus does not tire; his anima does not weary.  {{In ancient Chinese psychocosmology, each individual is thought to be possessed of both a male and a female soul.}}  Once his mind is fixed, the myriad things submit.'  In other words, extending his emptiness and stillness to heaven and earth, conversant with the myriad things, this is called heavenly joy.  Heavenly joy is the mind of the sage whereby he rears all under heaven."

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

the last paragraph is a repetition from 

《大宗师 - The Great and Most Honoured Master》

Yi-er Zi rejoined, 'Yet, when Wu-zhuang lost his beauty, Ju-liang his strength, and Huang-Di his wisdom, they all (recovered them) under the moulding (of your system) - how do you know that the Maker will not obliterate the marks of my branding, and supply my dismemberment, so that, again perfect in my form, I may follow you as my teacher?'

Xu You said, 'Ah! that cannot yet be known. I will tell you the rudiments. 0 my Master! 0 my Master! He gives to all things their blended qualities, and does not count it any righteousness; His favours reach to all generations, and He does not count it any benevolence; He is more ancient than the highest antiquity, and does not count Himself old; He overspreads heaven and supports the earth; He carves and fashions all bodily forms, and does not consider it any act of skill;-- this is He in whom I find my enjoyment.'

• Like 2

The wording in this does kind of indicate an attitude of expecting inaction as magically being some kind of fix for everything. Just sit there like a stuffed shirt, like Nero playing music while Rome burned. But all it has done is relegate affairs of state to his ministers, Richard III would have giggled in glee having all the world to bustle in. 

Its one thing if you speak of nonaction as a replacement of force with slick impartial rulership, and its another to suggest being AWOL.

If Mair thinks this has warpage, then I agree with Mair.

• Like 2

She and I were walking along , I took a hard turn looking for my car, and she shrank down to a little turkey pecking at fire ants. 

Dont ask what that means but , the discipline for tau is not absenteeism .

• Like 1

Turkeys aren't good followers.  Pretty much do as they please.  May even be more independent than cats.

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Turkeys aren't good followers.  Pretty much do as they please.  May even be more independent than cats.

Probably , but Sophie's independence seems to vary with her circumstance.

I've read they can rehydrate on seawater. 

• Like 1