Sign in to follow this  
Pavel Karavaev

Good old movie.

This post is dedicated to one of my favorite films. Just looked it again after many years.

From the first glance, it may seem simple and just funny, but in fact it includes a very serious basis. 
First of all,  I see here a story about the spiritual development of a man. About how extraordinary circumstances help that selfish, spoiled person to take the path of self-improvement. 

(Unfortunately I did not find the full version of the film in free access.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVeDx9fk60

The main character Phil (Bill Murray) selfish TV reporter, by the plot of the film hi is lives the same day in the small town countless times.
Everything repeats itself at this day, and he is al

e who able to change something.

Phil passes through several states during this story:
1) Shock. He does not understand what is happening and sad because of his plight.
2) Riot and impunity. He understands that he can do whatever he wants with impunity: he steals money from the bank, tempts different women and so on.
It ends when he could not seduce his colleague Rita (Andie MacDowell) - the main female character of the film. She gives him to understand that he is a hypocrite, an egoist and a spoiled man.
3) Despair. He loses the meaning of existence and tries to commit suicide. But each next day continues to repeat as before. He continues to kill himself day after day, again and again...
4) Apathy and indifference. Phil understands that even the death can not end this endless day. He starts to gamble, and idling day and night (for example, he is engaged in nonsensical things as throwing playing cards into the hat for several months in a row)
5) Revelation. Despair comes to the fact that he sincerely appeals to Rita and talks about his hopelessness.

He opens it to her and she advises him to just enjoy life as she is!

to be continued...

images (13).jpg

BillMurrayalarmGroundhogDay-x.jpg

Then everything starts to change:
6) Creation. The hero decides to be more attentive to people talking to them openly, trying to help them with their problems. Begins to treat people with love, take care of them.
7) Development. He uses his infinite time for learning: reading books, learning to play the piano, studying medicine, becoming a sculptor.
8) Salvation of people. Fil every day saves people from death and helps them in other troubles. His care abuot people helps him to soften his heart.
9) Transformation into kind of the "God of the day." Every day Phil
 does everything that can improve the life of everyone around. Life becomes full.

Rita sees in him the ideal person and she falls in love with him.

After that, the endless groundhogday is finally comes to an end and the long-awaited tomorrow comes.

images (16).jpg

images (14).jpg

Groundhog_Day_377.jpg

1111у434.jpg

images (15).jpg

Have you ever thought that in reality the life of many people is like this "groundhog day".
People go to work every day, to the store, go to the subway, go away from home and go back to home at the fixed time, and do a lot of other things that they have to do every day.

Many people are burdened by their routine life.
This film reminds us that no matter how boring everyday life is, it is always in our hands to change it, and everyone have ability to develop and change himself.

If you loved the movie Groundhog Day, you should look into the book 'Replay'.  Similar premise, but longer time period, ie the man keeps dying at 54, and being reborn at first into his teens, then as replays go on, he continues dying at 54 but re-awakening in his original history, later and later.  Living and learning through many lives but each life gets a little shorter each time around. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thelerner said:

you should look into the book 'Replay'.

Thank You - it is interesting.

I also remember that a similar plot occurs in the eastern parables. I can not remember exactly. It seems to be there was a magician who suddenly transferred a certain arrogant king to distant unfamiliar places and there he became an ordinary peasant, lived a long live and then under sudden circumstances he returns at the very moment from which this story began.

This is very interesting, on the one hand this is a great tragedy for a person, and on the other - a person receives an invaluable experience and completely changes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pavel Karavaev said:

Have you ever thought that in reality the life of many people is like this "groundhog day"....
...This film reminds us that no matter how boring everyday life is, it is always in our hands to change it, and everyone have ability to develop and change himself.

Here is one good social video from Thailand with the same element - repeating the same things day after day.

Here we go. Have a happy groundhogday!

I wish everyone not to step on the same puddle, but be active and manage to do everyone good thing you want to and  to do it the  best you can. Have to meet every single day as a great one.

kinopoisk.ru-Groundhog-Day-1149961.jpg

All the best, Pavel.

*chuckles*  I remember thinking this, as I watched it....just how much time was he there, really?

how long would I have to be stuck there in order to lose my mind?

how long would I have to be stuck there in order to....hm, hey, does gung reset every day, or does that carry over?  that makes a huge difference in the answering of that question, hahahaha

Edited by joeblast
lol, the look on the groundhog's face in the still image

Smile on my face, ; )

Just watched this again the other day. Always comes up on cable around actual Groundhog day. Always a fun watch.

Someone asked what period of time was he in the loop. I wondered also - did he learn to play the piano while in the loop or did he already know. Hmmm?

On 05.02.2018 at 5:47 PM, OldDog said:

Someone asked what period of time was he in the loop. I wondered also - did he learn to play the piano while in the loop or did he already know. Hmmm?

I read somewhere on the Internet, someone gave an assessment of what he spent in the loop 35-45 years. And on the piano he learned to play from zero level, it is implied in the scene where he comes to his first lesson.

Sign in to follow this