Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Celestine Prophecy

What does everyone think about this book? I find it has very good insights. For example, one insight is that people get attached or addicted to other people's energy.

Also, I am thinking about changing my last name to Clocksmith, cool?

I agree that the book had some good insights, but it would have been nice if Redfield had an editor. Oh, wait, he did have an editor. I mean an editor that actually knew how to edit.

What does everyone think about this book? I find it has very good insights. For example, one insight is that people get attached or addicted to other people's energy.

If you find it helpful on your personal path, I'd say to hell with my opinion. But since you asked...

Been many years since I read it so I can't speak to the editting anymore. I was visiting a friend in Sedona when it was still a word of mouth thing (apparently he had to self-publish until somebody picked it up) and at least from what I saw, it seemed to be generating a lot of buzz in that community. People were photocopying summaries of the insights and passing them around, talking it up to their friends.

I didn't read it for a while after that. I thought it the insights were good. Where I thought it shone was from from the standpoint that it somehow, whether it was the adventure mixed in with the spiritual concepts, I dunno, but whatever it was, it seemed to manage to slide under the radar of a lot of people's resistance to spiritual concepts, and get them talking. For quite a while I heard a lot of people talking about it, and the insights, that I never would've guessed in a million years would pick up a book like that. Had study groups, even.

Not so great as a manual of spiritual development, but I never saw that as its purpose. I see it as a book designed for the mass market to wake people up to greater possibilities than their 9-5 existance, which is very much needed. The people who want to take it further, do.

well put redfox.

yeah i thought the story was pretty lame, like a little kids story. but the insights themselves were really good and interesting.

in particular i like the ideas about relating to children, it makes a lot of sense as they are really just immortal spiritual beings like us, but trapped in a smaller body, they are also freer from conditioning and can teach us a lot.

i could have summarised the whole book to just one page. but yeah as redfox says its good for opening people up to a whole new world of possibilities that extend beyond the:

"school, further education, work, marry, mortgage, kids, die" kind of life.

we should all be aiming to extend way beyond this extremely silly, meaningless and waste of life that modern society tries to force us into conforming to.

I just read it for the first time last night. (Mind you I have owned it for ten years.) Rather than start a thread I did a search to see if it was posted before and so I am resurrecting a thread.

In my opinion it was great. It was a classic "Hero's Journey" and it is the only story in my memory that ends with ascension, aside for several bible stories. It seemed to be purely psychological in its approach to the insights which was good but thankfully kept it really simple. I know a lot of complaints say it was too simple but thats what I liked about it. Advanced concepts stated simply.

Its funny but I sent my mom a copy and she told me when she got it she was actually just starting to read a friends copy. I bought my copy at the same time but never read it. I rented The Celestine Prophecy movie last night and was intrigued enough to finally read it.

This book actually answers some of the questions that I have had lately or maybe confirms my intuitions on them. He was tapped into something pretty special when he was writing it in my opinion. This is the most "Taoist" book I have read that was written here in America. Active/non-action all the way...

I read the book several years ago and enjoyed it although I enjoyed 'the secret of shambhalla' more. Dan Millman's "the journey of socrates" is another "hero's journey" book Darin which I found pretty good.

It's been awhile since I've read it. The story was silly, but the insights were simple and profound, although the only ones I can remember now is that little kids should get a lot of attention (the book inspired me to put 3 years of age between my kids so that the older one gets enough attention for the first 3 years and to homeschool at least for the early years.) Oh, and I remember that to find out your strengths and destinies add your parents strengths and destinies together. If I remember correctly, the book could be broken down to about 12 bullet points. I seem to remember there being space lizards or Cheney like beings chasing the protagonist which I found to be a distraction from otherwise nice insights.

I liked the book so much that I left my copy on a desk of a library, hoping somebody would take it.

Here's a link to the summary of it:

http://highvibrations.org/archive1/celestin.htm

What was the book's how-to for getting over childhood issues?

I forget now Yoda, something about linking all childhood issues to issues our parents weren't able to resolve, but there was also a part about looking at how we react to issues and I think there were 4 broad categories like: victim, persecutor, matryr and something else?

The book drove me mad with its need for severe editing. I read the whole thing because I thought I should give it the benefit of the doubt. Once done, I brought it back to the used bookstore, along with the second one I didn't bother to read. Even people who self-publish can hire editors.

Most people I talked with loved the book. I didn't retain a thing from it.

Hmm, Lozen said there was an editor so change that to: Even people who self-publish can hire a good editor.

Edited by Treena

Sign in to follow this