Brian L. Kennedy

White Crane boxers?

Over the past year or so I have finally started to study Taiwanese Crane Boxing. Taiwan was well known for the quality and variety of its Crane Boxing. In modern times Taiwanese Crane Boxing has kind of fallen by the wayside but there still are some guys teaching. Crane Boxing uses a lot of imagery from Daoism.

Any folks here study any of the Crane Boxing systems?

take care,

Brian

I do White Crane but it is not from Taiwan. We have all the sleeping, jumping, eating, and calling crane in our system. I think there were one more in there but I forget. Where are you studying your??

I do White Crane but it is not from Taiwan. We have all the sleeping, jumping, eating, and calling crane in our system. I think there were one more in there but I forget. Where are you studying your??

Believe it or not, I'm learning from YMAA books and videos. I would prefer a teacher, but I have no teachers anywhere near me, so I have to make due. Surprisingly, I'm learning pretty damn fast.

Hi Mal,

Yeah, I am enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks much for the post about the history. And it comes as no surprise that that article caused some discomfort.

To kind of add to what the article said, a friend of mine, a martial arts historian named Stan Henning, is starting to take the position that most "short armed" southern systems (i.e. Wing chun, Hung Gar, Crane boxing, Mok Gar and the rest) were all derived from martial arts systems brought to southern China by General Qi Ji Guang (戚繼光)(1528-1587) when he was in the delta region doing the pirate/brigand suppression. A lot of his troops were decommissioned in the south and they could have spread the northern forms they knew from their military training into the south.

I am very much starting to agree with Stan Henning on that.

take care,

Brian