Sign in to follow this  
Brian L. Kennedy

Max Christensen, 1966, Red Guard China?

On the Kunlun Bliss website, in the section about Who is Max Christensen, it says:

"Studying under Wudang Master Wu Xiao Deng of Hubei province, Max started on the path to realization in 1966 at the age of six. At this early age he began learning a wide range of lesser known esoteric and alchemical practices. These have included various forms of qi gung, or the absorption of heavenly energy into oneself, and nei gung, the power to transmit energy or qi from oneself to another."

Am I to understand that when he was 6 years old, in 1966, Mr. Christensen, a white American, was in China studying with a Wudang master? Am I reading that correctly?. Let me be quick to add, I have no ax to grind, I am simply asking as a historian working on a book about modern Daoism.

1966 was an interesting year in modern Chinese history. The Red Guards were on their violent ascendancy and from a martial arts history perspective the years 1966 to 1968 were when many skilled Republican era martial artists were killed or crippled by the Red Guards.

Take care,

Brian

On the Kunlun Bliss website, in the section about Who is Max Christensen, it says:

"Studying under Wudang Master Wu Xiao Deng of Hubei province, Max started on the path to realization in 1966 at the age of six. At this early age he began learning a wide range of lesser known esoteric and alchemical practices. These have included various forms of qi gung, or the absorption of heavenly energy into oneself, and nei gung, the power to transmit energy or qi from oneself to another."

Am I to understand that when he was 6 years old, in 1966, Mr. Christensen, a white American, was in China studying with a Wudang master? Am I reading that correctly?

Take care,

Brian

so you are quite clear on how the hell a 6 y. o. gwailo gets to learn from a wudang master...or what language did they use to communicate...but you nitpick about the hunweibings? Come on dude :lol:

As Buddy pointed out, it does not say "in Hubei", it says "of Hubei"; I need to read a bit more carefully. And thanks for the lead to the other thread, I will go have a look. What I am actually trying to do is get familiar with the major Daoist teachers in North America, just to see what the state of North American "non Chinese" Daoism is. (when I say "non-Chinese Daoism" I mean teachers who are aiming at a non-Chinese audience).

In any event thanks much,

take care,

Brian

I looked around briefly and it seems the answer to the question of where did this come from is:

Max's teacher was Andrew Lum whose teacher was the grand master of Mao Shan. His name was Lum Dai Young. He was famous in Hawaii for his siddhas. He started the Gee Yung school in Hawaii.

That is interesting. Andrew Lum is a name I know as a Hawaiian taiji teacher. The guy I learned Bucksam Kong's hung gar from knew Andrew Lum back in Hawaii. Well, that makes it all less mysterious and more credible. Mr. Christensen learned from a Chinese-Hawaiian taiji teacher.

take care,

Brian

It's funny to see a certain set of Bums jump in and cling to any shimmer of negativity surrounding Max. In NLP you're known as 'polarity responders'...

Is this related to saving the Polar Bears!?

I want to save the polar bears too, not just be blissed-out and argue about being blissed out...NOr do I wish to have these negative vibes coming at me about being blissed-out B)

why can't we follow our paths without rancor?

wuzzittuyaz!?

When I first became aware of Kunlun-here at the Taobums, I thought it was a hoax...

Then I began to hear such happy reports of success and bliss, that I began to be very suspicous -as these were the sorts of terms that the Guru Maharaji touted in his BS...

Then I had an urge to believe... as people I trust here at the Bums began to say possitive things about the practice...

I remain mostly sceptical -but also have an open mind as to its possibilities as reported...

Interested & doubtful in a nutshell...But the negativism from this thread seems out of place -unless it were from practitioners who felt betrayed and mis-lead... that I could easily accept... but from a nonparticapatory sideline it is not useful...to me-

B)

I believe Max lived on a military base in Michigan as a child, and Master Wu Xiao Deng was working there. That's how they met.

Once I read an account of a fellow who was mauled by a lion, he described the exprience as "euphoric".

Also saw a documentry on a women who was mauled by a black bear,absolutely ruined her life on every level.

They had to sew her face back on. She couldn't chew her food properly do to muscle damage, so had to mush everything up.She couldn't walk properly.Was constantly assailed by nightmares and lived in a perpetual state of fear.

On a personel level being attacked by a crocodile sends the shivers up me.Something about those reptilian eyes and being draged into some under water cave to slowly rot.I had better stop now.

Xiamen Tiger or Polar Bear?

Are you kidding?!??

Definately polar bear!!! I'd go for getting some big ol' furry hugs on the way 'out'.

B)

When it comes to being eaten alive, there are the BIG fear creators -like lions and tigers and bears, the watery ones like sharks and Crocs-but to me its the little ones, the paraniahs and army ants that I wouldn't want to get me... being nickled and dimed to death by small fry has just got to suck eggs...

Sorry to waste this fine thread about Max's early years by leading us into fear mongering with the omnivorous (us encluded!!) appitites of various critters, but hey we go where we go when we're in he flow...

Guest winpro07
:mellow: Edited by winpro07

I've noticed in my travels that Americans are much more fearful of bear attacks than are Canadians. I've always thought it interesting that reports and stories of animal attacks are much more frequent in America too.

As an American I don't expect to get that kind of news reporting-usually pretty local...

Also,

The Russians just have lousy news service... as do the Chinese... there are lots of Tiger attacks reported in India & when I was in Singapore - a truck driver was eaten by a Tiger just a few miles from the city...

Where humans incroache on habitate -the animals will get restive, as well as hungry.

Here incentral NJ I see eagles, falcons and other raptors quite often as well as blue herons and turkeys... they just don't have anywhere else to go...

I recently told my sisiter when she asked me if I had a prefered way to be "burried"; that I would want to be eaten by my fellow creatures... I guess being eaten alive avoids the middle-man and is even more practicle...

Not my 1st thought but it makes sense now that I do think on it...

It would seem that we Taobums are omnivorous ... we can eat up any thread, only as a means of excreting it after going through a process of groundings and exaultations and thus we create new wonders to behold-like bees making honey dontchaknow?!

B)

or maybe we just drift well like little boats out to sea...?

Sign in to follow this