Maddie

Kaliyuga and chanting

9 minutes ago, dwai said:

Wow! :)

Annnnd... a little bit more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabda_Brahman

https://www.amazon.com/World-Sound-Brahma-Landscape-Consciousness/dp/0892813180

I remember a quote from Pt. Ravi Shankar (the musician) that went something like "music... what the rishis considered to be nada brahma... a way to reach God". I think it's in the album jacket of one of his LPs I have packed away. Or it may be in the photo book in the box set from the Concert for Bangladesh.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jainarayan said:

I believe you, that's why I said it's just a guess on my part. It was just a wild-ass guess. ;) 

Good info, thanks. :) 

No, I don't see it as a debate at all... just more information to learn. Btw, I chant the Gayatri Mantra as you do. I'm not initiated, but nowadays virtually everyone and anyone is said to be able to chant it.

Agreed on chanting.  I don't see any harm in chanting mantras like Gayathri without initiation.  True initiation is also not just the ceremony as it is done mostly these days.  However, it is good to learn to chant with proper pronunciation, just to get the proper results from the mantra. Mantras work by the sound or vibration that they produce in the energy body.  There are certain mantras that should not be chanted without initiation, because the results can be powerful.   Also, some mantras should just be avoided at certain times and by certain people, due to physiological reasons (for example: It's not conducive for women to chant certain mantras during pregnancy).

You mentioned about chakras and not undertaking the meditation on bija mantras without initiation on another post.  Yes, one should be careful.  But, I think for many, it is generally okay to undertake some of these practices, with certain precautions.  I will add some more on chakras and chanting, later when I find some time.  Some people paint a negative picture in general about the crown opening -- they talk about the horrors of premature crown opening.  While, caution is certainly needed, sometimes these warnings go too far out, in my opinion.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jainarayan said:

I'm enjoying the information you're providing @s1va. Mucho learning is being learned. :) 

I am also enjoying the discussion and learning.  Thanks to everyone.

• Like 3