Apech

Interviews - are they interesting/useful?

Hi everyone,

I would like to resurrect the Interviews section with some fresh interviews - but first a few questions:

1 ) do people read the interviews?

2 ) do you find them interesting/useful?

3 ) is there anything that can be done to make them better?

4 ) do you have any suggestions on who we could invite to interview?

Please leave answers below.

Thanks everyone!

Apech

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Apech said:

Hi everyone,

I would like to resurrect the Interviews section with some fresh interviews - but first a few questions:

It would depend on who is being interviewed.

Again it would very much depend on the subject matter. Were it a Boring Buddhist being interviewed then it would be of no interest whatever to me.

The subject of the interview is all important different Bums would have different interests so one hat would not fit all.

Wells would make an interesting subject now that he is involved in Taoist Internal practices. Though he never quite "gets it" his dedication and enthusiasm cannot be doubted.

Please leave answers below.

Thanks everyone!

Apech

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Apech said:

Hi everyone,

Great idea you just had Apech :)

1) I did read all of them.

2) Very.

3) They're great interviews but we should always aim for better.

4) My suggestion would be Kevin Wallbridge.

Thanks Apech

• Like 3

David Verdesi might be interesting. 

Going from mo'power to :

Screenshot_2017-12-12-17-45-38.thumb.png.7e4ebb30cbfa3e5261611695ba50d0e9.png

I think this is an interesting shift, and an interview based on this might be interesting. 

But questions might have to avoid some of the history surrounding him (that was diplomatic). 

• Like 2

I'm slightly underwhelmed by the response to this.

Do people want more interviews or is it meh.

6 minutes ago, Apech said:

I'm slightly underwhelmed by the response to this.

Do people want more interviews or is it meh.

It will always be a "meh".

If the interview is with a person and on a subject in which they are interested then they will most certainly want it. If however it is of no interest to them................................

If you are arranging and conducting these interviews then it must be something you want to do, otherwise it will become a chore.

Also remember that controversy = interest. Your first interview could be with More Pie Guy - that would get things off to a cracking start.

So to sum up do not be underwhelmed. Take the bull by the horns, the tiger by the tail and crack on. My only advice would be to steer clear of the boring Buddhist intellectual nonsense. If you do conduct a boring Buddhist interview then play it for laughs.

Good luck Apech.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chang said:

It will always be a "meh".

If the interview is with a person and on a subject in which they are interested then they will most certainly want it. If however it is of no interest to them................................

If you are arranging and conducting these interviews then it must be something you want to do, otherwise it will become a chore.

Also remember that controversy = interest. Your first interview could be with More Pie Guy - that would get things off to a cracking start.

So to sum up do not be underwhelmed. Take the bull by the horns, the tiger by the tail and crack on. My only advice would be to steer clear of the boring Buddhist intellectual nonsense. If you do conduct a boring Buddhist interview then play it for laughs.

Good luck Apech.

Well thank you Chang.

My position is that I think good interviews up the quality of content on DBs - but to collect a reasonable number of them would be some level and time and energy input which if people don't value them I would put into something else like a productive, creative hobby such as drinking or smoking.  I'm not really bothered either way.  And yes I would try to get some Buddhist interviews to reflect members interests - and no I will not interview Mo Pie Guy.  If people just seek controversy that's their problem.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Apech said:

Well thank you Chang.

My position is that I think good interviews up the quality of content on DBs - but to collect a reasonable number of them would be some level and time and energy input which if people don't value them I would put into something else like a productive, creative hobby such as drinking or smoking.  I'm not really bothered either way.  And yes I would try to get some Buddhist interviews to reflect members interests - and no I will not interview Mo Pie Guy.  If people just seek controversy that's their problem.

Do not fear controversy for that is the road to banality and interviews that will be at best platitudinous.

In all honesty Apech you will just have to dip your foot in the water and conduct an interview. That is the only way you will get a true idea of fellow Bums interest levels. If it is going to be done then you will have to do it, do it and not expect any thanks or applauds for the doing. Good luck.

Give this thread a couple more days for people to respond to before making a decision. Many people like myself only check in every now and then but the interviews really are what made the Tao bums one of my favorite sites initially. I would love to read more of them.

Almost all of them.

They are some of the most useful content on the site depending on your interests. For me they were.

Just to have them more often or to have a email alert when one is potentially coming up so we can ask questions in time.

4 ) do you have any suggestions on who we could invite to interview.

Some of the modern well respected healers would be interesting to me:

Michael Lomax, Chunyi Lin, or Jim Nance?

• Like 3

Just now, Chang said:

Words fail me but I look forward to reading your interview of the good lady.

I might just be able to squeeze her in ... 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Apech said:

I might just be able to squeeze her in ... 

There seem little doubt that the poor woman is away with the fairies. I suspect that she was fated for a nut job before her infatuation with Buddhism but the boring Buddhist over intellectualisation of all and sundry will not have helped.

I suspect that she would agree to an interview but would want paying for it. My own view is that she is worth half a crown of anyones money but it beggars the question as to whether you would don your latex combinations (complete with button flap) to conduct the said interview.

Should you contact her then be mindful of the musings of Solomon. "A debauched woman is a deep pit into which the unwary shall stumble."

44 minutes ago, Chang said:

There seem little doubt that the poor woman is away with the fairies. I suspect that she was fated for a nut job before her infatuation with Buddhism but the boring Buddhist over intellectualisation of all and sundry will not have helped.

I suspect that she would agree to an interview but would want paying for it. My own view is that she is worth half a crown of anyones money but it beggars the question as to whether you would don your latex combinations (complete with button flap) to conduct the said interview.

Should you contact her then be mindful of the musings of Solomon. "A debauched woman is a deep pit into which the unwary shall stumble."

Perhaps, I wonder, from the look of her in that latex suit, if she is struggling with the concept of emptiness?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Apech said:

Well thank you Chang.

You could interview me about drinking and smoking .

Just now, Nungali said:

You could interview me about drinking and smoking .

I could interview you while drinking and smoking.

4 hours ago, Chang said:

Was a nun now wears latex ....   apparent that is enough to make one interesting enough to .....      have an internet article about . 

5 minutes ago, Apech said:

I could interview you while drinking and smoking.

Ventriloquist act ?

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

Was a nun now wears latex ....   apparent that is enough to make one interesting enough to .....      have an internet article about . 

Will you be wearing latex when I interview you?

1 minute ago, Apech said:

Will you be wearing latex when I interview you?

For the beginning of the interview .....

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2