Hey everyone,

I've been observing people for quite some time now, and I've come to the conclusion that definitely the seventh, the third, the second, and the sixth have to be ranked among the most blocked chakras in this society. The other three however: the heart, the throat and the root chakra always seem to stand out for me when I look at people, especially the root and the throat. If you can't talk and don't have the energy to do things in life you won't make it very far, so I guess that's why people would give priority to those two in particular. Makes sense really. But I have to say the heart chakra hasn't struck me as being one of the more closed chakras at all. In fact, I find it quite open. Don't get me wrong it problably could be more open in many of us, as is the case for most chakras. But compared to the ones I just mentionned above I find, maybe contrary to popular belief, that lots of humans actually have relatively open hearts. 

Your thoughts on that?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dawn90 said:

Hey everyone,

I've been observing people for quite some time now, and I've come to the conclusion that definitely the seventh, the third, the second, and the sixth have to be ranked among the most blocked chakras in this society. The other three however: the heart, the throat and the root chakra always seem to stand out for me when I look at people, especially the root and the throat. If you can't talk and don't have the energy to do things in life you won't make it very far, so I guess that's why people would give priority to those two in particular. Makes sense really. But I have to say the heart chakra hasn't struck me as being one of the more closed chakras at all. In fact, I find it quite open. Don't get me wrong it problably could be more open in many of us, as is the case for most chakras. But compared to the ones I just mentionned above I find, maybe contrary to popular belief, that lots of humans actually have relatively open hearts. 

Your thoughts on that?

Based on what I've seen, most people don't go beyond the 3rd chakra. In that, most have blockages/issues in all three. Three most common ailments in the modern world are --

- Existential fears (1st)

- Sexual issues (2nd)

- Ego (3rd) 

• Like 8

I realized that since much of this could be considered subjective there's a lot of opinion involved but in my personal opinion I do not think the heart chakra is very opened in most people. The reason I say this is because in my observation what most people consider love is usually a lower chakra attribute whether it's family familiarity attachment in the root chakra sensual attachment in the sacral chakra or ego attachment in the solar plexus chakra. True kindness and compassion metta if you will that just gives love and kindness without expectation or attachment seems to actually be very rare unfortunately and these were the qualities that are associated with the heart chakra. Not to say that there are not people out there who have these qualities I think two people that come to mind are Ellen Degeneres and Oprah Winfrey when I think of a very open heart chakra but I think percentage-wise it's not the majority.

Edited by dmattwads
  • Like 7

You're right. If you compare with the people you've just mentionned. I guess I didn't put the standard that high. 

I think it all depends on the individual. 

Would be interesting to do a cultural study though. 

I bet bet there’s some sociological factors that go into building issues at certain centers. 

• Like 1

I'm sure there is. 

Would people in Africa have more chakras open? Since modern society isn't as strong over there as it is here. Also without being too insensitive, suffering at times seems like a pre-requisite for great spiritual progress. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawn90 said:

I'm sure there is. 

Would people in Africa have more chakras open? Since modern society isn't as strong over there as it is here. Also without being too insensitive, suffering at times seems like a pre-requisite for great spiritual progress. 

Good questions. 

I was thinking more a

culture that treasures compassion and filial piety to have an open heart, versus a materialist culture which would be more focused in the third. 

So many different factors come into play though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dawn90 said:

I'm sure there is. 

For centuries those who have suffered are more open. How could they not be? They are completely open to the earth and the for their livelihood.

Love, as most people understand it is a lower chakra thing. Lower chakra love is lust, sexual excitement, that enticing thing that makes us feel good on the physical and sometimes an emotional level. An open heart, is well beyond; it is beyond the sexual, it's beyond lust. It is a refined love, that I can not describe. Pure... Purely, for absorbing, rinsing and sending back the engery absorbed. 

The person themselves, with the Open Heart , may not be "pure", however, if they receive, and connect it can be life changing. 

I really kind of find it odd that you would mention celebrities like Oprah and Ellen. For someone who talks about being able to see how chakras and stuff are open that you would come here talk about them.  

I do not see Oprah with an open heart.

I'm truly interested in your further comments @dawn90.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, dawn90 said:

I'm sure there is. 

If we went to tribal cultures, odds are that we would find more heart-oriented people. You will find in India, there are many very poor people, but they seem to live their lives in contentment. There have been studies that show that so long as there is no "other" to compare to in one's peer groups, there is actually not much angst provided one has the basic needs fulfilled.  

Here's an interesting article on one of the largest slums in the World - Dharavi of Mumbai, India --

http://realitytoursandtravel.com/blog/what-i-learned-in-dharavi/

I've quoted an excerpt of the document below --

If money and material possessions don’t lead to happiness, then there must be something else that does. Early in my time in Mumbai, as I traveled from my work in Dharavi to my apartment in Bandra West (a relatively affluent suburb of Mumbai), I was struck by the transformation in community that I saw. I would leave Kumbharwada (potter’s colony) in Dharavi in the evening, where the small lanes would be crowded with people sitting together, sipping chai, eating pani puri from a passing vendor, or idly talking. When I arrived to my apartment I would typically walk past a neighbor who would not even look at me — let alone say ‘hello’ — then I would climb my steps, past closed doors, and into my apartment. If I had lived in the apartment for the past 50 years I’m sure I would know my neighbors better, but not a single neighbor welcomed me or introduced themselves when I moved in. I think this is indicative of my apartment building’s community. I was, however, approached by a neighbor once. He knocked on my door to inform me that water from my air conditioner was dripping on his motorbike below and that I should fix it immediately. When I compare the situation to America, the contrast was even starker: instead of people closed off in apartments, the suburbanization of America combined with the mass proliferation of the car has led to a systematic collapse of neighborhood communities. Suburbanites are closed off from their neighbors as they move between locations in their cars and then move directly into their houses through their garages. Americans no longer have occasion to even greet their neighbors. While suburban living has been touted as the ‘American Dream’ over the past half century, I think we have lost something significant in the process.

The daily transformation that I witnessed between Dharavi and my apartment building in Bandra has taught me that community and social ties are central to happiness. It’s a point that may seem obvious and indeed it has been recognized by philosophers through the ages, but it is not something that we consciously work towards. And it’s easy to understand why: we are constantly bombarded by advertising that tells us happiness is just one purchase away. But this experiential learning over the past two years has driven these lessons home so strongly that the advertising gimmicks of Coca Cola and Apple now appear hollow.

So what is the relationship between Happiness and Heart? To reflect upon/add to what @karen said, the opening of the heart chakra is the first step towards experiencing our true nature, which is happiness/joy/bliss. So people with open heart chakras (and who operate from there) are more contented and happier than those who operate from the lower chakras that deal with survival, sex/procreation and ego reinforcement. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kar3n said:

For centuries those who have suffered are more open. How could they not be? They are completely open to the earth and the for their livelihood.

Love, as most people understand it is a lower chakra thing. Lower chakra love is lust, sexual excitement, that enticing thing that makes us feel good on the physical and sometimes an emotional level. An open heart, is well beyond; it is beyond the sexual, it's beyond lust. It is a refined love, that I can not describe. Pure... Purely, for absorbing, rinsing and sending back the engery absorbed. 

The person themselves, with the Open Heart , may not be "pure", however, if they receive, and connect it can be life changing. 

I really kind of find it odd that you would mention celebrities like Oprah and Ellen. For someone who talks about being able to see how chakras and stuff are open that you would come here talk about them.  

It was dmattwads who mentioned Oprah and E dG. :)

9 hours ago, Kar3n said:

Like the others said, I'm not the one who used Oprah Winfrey and Ellen Degeneres as examples. However I do have to back the guy who said it. I do see Oprah as having an open heart. That doesn't mean she's perfect or above material greed. But I do see her like a heart person. Again, someone might put the bar higher and say she's not giving out "true" love or her love is not unconditional. Perhaps, that may be the case. What you can't deny, however, is that she's pretty good at connecting with people on a heart to heart level and getting them to open up. That's why she became so successful in the first place, because people would tell her things on camera they wouldn't on other tv shows. On Ellen I can't say much, since I have never watched her, or even if I did I wasn't paying attention. But she's meant to be really good at what she does, a white Oprah if you will. 

I should've specified maybe and said "somewhat open," instead of just open. I think many people do have their heart chakra somewhat open and they try to use it. But with the chakras 2, 3, 6, and 7 I don't even see them somewhat open, or anything-open in the majority of people. It's none existent. Or shall I say somewhat non-existent, since I have to be careful with how I say things.

On the subject of opening chakras I've read once that opening even a single chakra fully was insanely difficult, even for people who actively try to open their chakras. It's always possible to open it more it seems. 

1 hour ago, C T said:

Its quite like trying to open oysters, actually. 

You mean, the result is hyped, and when you do it you get terribly disappointed and go after something else instead?:)

4 minutes ago, Mudfoot said:

You mean, the result is hyped, and when you do it you get terribly disappointed and go after something else instead?:)

Have you tried to pry open oysters before? If not, you might want to give it a go... :lol: 

*tip.. mind your fingers! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mudfoot said:

Opening them was not the problem. 

Eating them, the glorious result,  that was where I failed. 

Its an acquired taste. Takes time to get to know the sublimities of the texture, the smell, the layers of flavours, the after-taste... 

Much in common with opening chakras. Yes. 

• Like 1

So I've noticed two topics, one about chakras (the heart chakra specifically) and the second about happiness in general. Since this was posted in the Buddhist section I'll approach this from a Buddha dhamma point of view in regards to happiness. So the Buddha taught that non-happiness comes from craving (or its inverse aversion) which is based in delusion or ignorance. So really according to what the Buddha taught happiness or the lack thereof has nothing to do with our objective situation in life. So whether we live in a first, or third word country is irrelevant to being happy. Rather happiness is directly related to our level of clinging and attachment in our minds. If we have more desire we will have more unhappiness. If we have less desire we will have more happiness. Then once we begin to lessen craving which is described as a defilement in the mind, then more of the pure and true nature of the mind is free to shine forth like the clouds parting to let the sun that was always there shine through. This is what increases loving kindness, and compassion in an individual. Simply removing the obstructions that were blocking the kindness and compassion that was already in the mind, but just obstructed. Once we know our minds better, the rest follows as a matter of fact.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

So I've noticed two topics, one about chakras (the heart chakra specifically) and the second about happiness in general. Since this was posted in the Buddhist section I'll approach this from a Buddha dhamma point of view in regards to happiness. So the Buddha taught that non-happiness comes from craving (or its inverse aversion) which is based in delusion or ignorance. So really according to what the Buddha taught happiness or the lack thereof has nothing to do with our objective situation in life. So whether we live in a first, or third word country is irrelevant to being happy. Rather happiness is directly related to our level of clinging and attachment in our minds. If we have more desire we will have more unhappiness. If we have less desire we will have more happiness. Then once we begin to lessen craving which is described as a defilement in the mind, then more of the pure and true nature of the mind is free to shine forth like the clouds parting to let the sun that was always there shine through. This is what increases loving kindness, and compassion in an individual. Simply removing the obstructions that were blocking the kindness and compassion that was already in the mind, but just obstructed. Once we know our minds better, the rest follows as a matter of fact.  

Where did you learn about chakras? Any book suggestions for a beginner? 

3 hours ago, C T said:

Its quite like trying to open oysters, actually. 

You mean hard and painful to open?

No one has actually answered to my initial question: Which chakras are the most closed in people from your observations. I already said mine: 2, 3, 6, 7 chakras.  

Edited by dawn90

13 minutes ago, dawn90 said:

No one has actually answered to my initial question: Which chakras are the most closed in people from your observations. I already said mine: 2, 3, 6, 7 chakras.  

To answer your initial question my observation it really varies from person to person. Not very easy to generalize.

35 minutes ago, Amos said:

Where did you learn about chakras? Any book suggestions for a beginner? 

There's a lot of books. A good one I recommend for a beginner is the chakra Bible because it talks about the basic properties and things that you can do to work on them like gemstones and yoga and some meditations and such.

The Chakra Bible: The Definitive Guide to Working with Chakras https://g.co/kgs/n6UK6b

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dawn90 said:

That, and the fact that it can be rather messy too, without the proper tools and experience.. sounds about right? 

Even if one gets the best tutor, it still comes down to having to learn to do it from the ground up. And then... 

and then... even the best tutors themselves cannot avoid chipping the subtle edges as the shell is prised from the outside, yes? Its impossible to conventionally open an oyster without causing some kind of stress to it. Matter of degree only with regards to how much or how little damage is done. 

Personally, I'd prefer to put the oysters in an aquarium, and watch them open from time to time in harmony with the environment they are in. They have a kind of independent intelligence that is rather fragile, and the way I see it, a connection can be made to allow this intelligence to seep out and merge with our own without the slightest effect to its fragility at all. 

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

There's a lot of books. A good one I recommend for a beginner is the chakra Bible because it talks about the basic properties and things that you can do to work on them like gemstones and yoga and some meditations and such.

The Chakra Bible: The Definitive Guide to Working with Chakras https://g.co/kgs/n6UK6b

Cool. I will look into it.

Any opinion on Mantak Chia's stuff? I am new and just got the inner smile.

Much appreciated,

Amos

1 hour ago, Amos said:

Cool. I will look into it.

Any opinion on Mantak Chia's stuff? I am new and just got the inner smile.

Much appreciated,

Amos

If you want to learn the inner smile he is a good source ;-)