steve

What is your favorite Taijiquan book?

My all time favorite has to be the Tai Chi Boxing Chronicle by Kuo Lien-Ying. Every time I pick it up I find all kinds of stuff. Usually what seems to happen is that the reading validates or sheds light on something I've found in practice more than actually teaching me knew things.

What are your recommendations?

i also like the taiji boxing chronicle

here are some more that i like and why (in no particular order)

The Essence of Tai Chi Chuan: The Literary Tradition

by LO, Inn, Foe, Amacker

It is a translation of the classics but each statement is given a whole page. I find when i read it this way my brain can take in more- when the classics are presented in paragraph form the significance of each sentence seems to diminishes somewhat. also a book that you can go back and reread- my understanding always changes as i practice more

Tai Chi Touchstones: Yang Family Secret Transmissions

by Douglas Wile

translations of some stuff that is not in the classics- some good stuff in here

T'ai Chi Ch'uan and Meditation (Paperback)

by Da Liu

good little book- a lot of information- haven't read it in a while but if i remember it seemed to have a lot of information also contained in his other books

The Dao of Taijiquan: Way to Rejuvenation

by Jou Tsung Hwa

one of the first taiji books i ever owned (along with the "The Essence of Tai Chi Chuan: The Literary Tradition") both were recommended by my instructor- large portions of this book seem to be translations of Chen Kung's famous book (Stuart Olson also translated portions of Chen Kung's book)- this book has a lot of information- but to me personally the best past is Master Jou ca do attitude that come through in the book- his stories about how he obtained breakthroughs, and that you can achieve progress by yourself are very uplifting to me... i think i could say it best is that his message is about self empowerment and that your progress is based on your hard work and understanding (no magic pills)... i also liked his ideas about learning from the stories of the old masters and putting them into practice

also some tai chi books that are a fun read

There Are No Secrets: Professor Cheng Man Ch'ing and His T'ai Chi Chuan

by Wolfe Lowenthal

some nice stories about Master Cheng

Steal My Art: The Life and Times of T'ai Chi Master, T.T. Liang

by Stuart Alve Olson

a really nice read about Master Liang

Franklin

Anyone familiar with a book called Drawing Silk: Masters' Secrets for Successful Tai Chi Practice by Paul Gallagher?

My all time favorite has to be the Tai Chi Boxing Chronicle by Kuo Lien-Ying. Every time I pick it up I find all kinds of stuff. Usually what seems to happen is that the reading validates or sheds light on something I've found in practice more than actually teaching me knew things.

What are your recommendations?

I like everything added until now. I will add three more Energetic Tai Chi Chuan, and Tai Chi Alchemy, both by Larry Johnson. Then there is Taijquanh through the Western Gate by Rick Barrett.

I am surprised Dr. Yang hasn't been mentioned yet.

I use his work as a manual for training. Its absolutely indispensable. I think the other works mentioned here are more esoteric. I believe Jou Tsung Hwa was a teacher of Dr. Yang?

I plan to get more into the esoteric side as I develop the martial. I am making good progress with it as I also train in JuJitsu and my sensei commended me this week on my sparring skills. I have been training my sparring using Taiji techniques and theory. I successfully managed to throw a blackbelt down with 'brush left knee and push forward'.

Problem was I upset the black belt and he nearly ripped me in half with a throw after that. :blink:

great thread idea ...... I learned YMAA (Dr. yang jwing-ming) chen style tai chi from my teacher.

I liked Dr. Yang's book: The Essence of Tai Chi Chi Kung : Health and Martial Arts (YMAA Publication Center Book Series)

http://www.amazon.com/Essence-Tai-Chi-Kung-Publication/review/product/0940871106/ref=ntt_at_ep_cm

Got good Amazon reviews. I found the following from it by an Amazon reviewer at link for an idea of what its about.

Root:

1. Being rooted means to be stable and in firm contact with the ground

2. You must be centered (focusing the mind on the center), settled, and relaxed. "Since your body isn't struggling to stand up, your Yi (mind/intent) won't be pushing upward, and your body, mind, and chi will be able to sink."

3. Yi leads the chi. Chi can not be pushed or forced, it must be lead by the Yi. To lead the chi to the feet, the mind must first focus on the center. "Only when your Yi can communicate with the ground will your Chi be able to grow beyond your feet and enter the ground to build root." The bubbling well cavity is the gate which enables your chi tto communicate with the ground.

4. A stable center will make your chi develop evenly and uniformly. "In order to keep your body centered, you must first center your Yi, and then match your body to it." Your mental and physical center is the key which enables you to lead your chi beyond your body.

5. Balance your Yi. "If your Yi is balanced, it can help you to make accurate judgements, and therefore to correct the path of Chi flow.

6. Moving chi to your palms: Image you are pushing and object forward while keeping your muscles relaxed.

What is Chi?

1. Chi is the energy or natural force which fills the universe. Three types exist: Heavan Chi, Earth Chi, and Human Chi. Earth Chi absorbs Heavan Chi. When chi or energy field loses it balance, it strives to rebalance itself. Heavan Chi affects Human Chi, flowing from the crown of the head through the energy meridians. When chi is flowing into the Dan Tien, the second mind activates.

2. Concentrate on Chi and achieve softness. (Lao Tzyy) "The men of old breathed clear down to their heels." Breathing is used to increase chi circulation.

3. Muscle/Tendon Changing classic taught the priests how to gain health and change their physical bodies from weak to strong: clean the bone marrow, strengthen blood and immune, and energize the brain.

4. The masters discovered specific body movements could increase chi flow to specific organs of the body: Tai Chi Chuan form, five animal postures, and Tai chi chi kung forms. Other Kungfu styles emerged: Wai Dan, Iron Shirt, Golden Bell Cover, Wai Kung, and Ying Kung.

5. Chi in your body is divided into two categories: Managing Chi and Guardian chi. The managing chi is hte energy which has been sent to the organs so that they can function. The guardian chi is the energy which has been sent to the surface of the body to form a shield to protect you from the negative outside influences such as cold.

6. Yin is the root and source of life which animates the Yang body and manifest power or strength externally.

7. Chi circulation and chi storage: a. there are twelve channels that circulate chi through out the body b. there are eight vessels or regions that make up the energy reserviors. When the eight reserviors are full the chi circulation is strong. Every channel has a certain chi flow strength and changes throughout the day. Chi sources are: natural energy (sun, moon, earth), food and air, thinking, and exercise.

8. When your chi is full, your Shen (spirit) will be enlivened. Chi flows to the brain and energizes the shen and soul. The Energizing and the raise Shen will lead the chi through the body. Shen is the control tower for your chi.

9. The earth chi is negative (Yin) energy from your kidneys, and the Heavan Chi is positive (Yang) energy which comes from the food you eat and the air you breath. Once you connect the two chis, you know what real chi is and this is what is meant to attain the tao.

10. Learn how to increase chi in the two main vessels - Yin conception vessel and Yang Governing vessel.

11. Learn how to raise chi to the surface of the skin and condense the chi to the bone marrow. Condensing produces jing, the secret to effortless power and distance power.

12. Wu Chi - chi in your body and the chi in nature unite and all human desires disppear.

EDIT --- I think this thread should be pinned somehow. Lots of good info. ........

Edited by Tao99

Yeung Sau Chung's 'Red Book'. - alot on applications, some great pointers too.

Ip Tai Tak's 'Tai Chi Chuan Revelations'. - a treasure chest.

The Intrinsic Energies of T'Ai Chi Ch'Uan (Chen Kung Series, Vol 2) Stuart Alve Olson

http://www.amazon.com/Intrinsic-Energies-ChUan-Chen-Kung/dp/093804513X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279726592&sr=1-4

From an Amazon Reviewer:

"I don't like giving out 5 stars but this book deserves them! NOT intended for beginners, this book is the only English source for information on the "jings" or skills involved in practicing real taiji. I really like how the author separates the translation from his commentary. This makes it easier to know who is saying what. An excellent reference, especially for those trying to understand how to perform correct tui shou."